Is Furcal a good pick up? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Furcal a good pick up?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Furcal a good pick up?

Postby Bender » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:01 am

Furcal seems to be ranked higher than Hall and Fick according to tsn, so is he worth getting? He got 22 steals last season but not much else form the looks of it. Also, the Braves have Blanco now don't they? That would make a difference wouldn't it?

(this would be off FA by the way)
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:12 am

I have to disagree with tsn here: I'd currently rank Hall and Fick a bit above Furcal simply because catcher is even shallower than shortstop.

Furcal is highly talented, and his speed is nothing short of amazing, but he was slowed by a serious shoulder injury last year as well as some minor knee trouble this spring. His start this year has been simply awful. Apart from the fact that he's not getting on base enough to utilize his speed, he's also looked lost when fielding the ball (5 errors so far). I think the Braves will be patient with his bat, but if Furcal keeps making mistakes in the field, his playing time will drop very quickly.

That said, it depends on your needs. Hall and Fick are both solid catchers, and would also look good as trade bait. I'd only drop one of them for Furcal if you're absolutely desperate for steals (or if you're trying to corner the market, an interesting but extremely risky tactic).
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Bender » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:18 am

I don't know why but I got it into my head that he was a catcher so I compared him to them, even though I knew he really was a shortstop. Anyway, who I really should compare him to is Valentin and Cabrera I guess, and yes, I do need steals, I wish Ichiro would get some. I am now first but it could be by more if I got a few stolen bases.
Bender
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:39 am

In a nutshell, Valentin should hit the most homers, either he or Cabrera will give you the most rbi's, runs is a toss-up and Furcal has the highest runs/stolen bases potential. None of them is worlds above the others at this point, and all are off to weak starts.

That said, I'd rather have Cabrera than Valentin. The extra homers Valentin will give you aren't worth the average and steals you'd give up. Cabrera is several years younger, as well, so there's a chance he'll still improve a bit. I'd rather have a healthy Furcal who plays every day than either of the other two, but that may well be wishful thinking at this point.

If you're set for power and play Cabrera more than Valentin anyway, you can consider taking a risk, dropping Valentin for Furcal and hoping he gets over his early jitters. If Valentin works out better than Cabrera on your team, I'd stand pat, at least until Furcal shows signs of warming up. If I had to make the decision, I'd probably grab Furcal, but I wouldn't be too confident I was making the right choice.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dark Treb » Tue Apr 16, 2002 4:22 pm

I have Furcal, and while he started off slowly, he seems to be coming on somewhat. He has 3 SBs, and I think he's going to be okay this year.
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Baseball Leftovers