Gagne a huge steal next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne a huge steal next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:32 pm

IMHO, there will be so much Gagne talk about not forgetting him late that he will end up going pretty early again. Not in the 1st or 2nd but early enough to know that I won't be drafting him. :-?
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:43 pm

I'm thinking of grabbing him around the 6th in a keeper... hopefully he falls that far.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:04 pm

I see no reason why Gagne doesn't rebound to his old self, and somebody will take him much earlier than rounds 10-14. :-o
No way he 'sleeps'
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 732)

Postby oddmanout7 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:04 pm

In a keeper, is Huston Street worth more than Gagne? I know Gagne is porven, but his elbow injuries are question marks...
oddmanout7
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:06 pm

brandnew wrote:Maybe in a non-keeper Gagne will drop to the 8th or so, but in a Keeper, I don't think Gagne will get past the 4th or 5th. Anyone else think he'll go that high in a keeper?

He may, but he shouldn't.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby bselig » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:12 pm

Gagne aka closer with bad elbow won't go 4th round in any decent keeper league unless it's composed of gm's who are veterans of the special olympics. In a regular league if you're talking 14-15 round, that's fine, nothing wrong with taking a flier on him. Anything higher than 13th or 12th round or around there isn't necessary; with the closer turnover in the majors you don't have to pay through the teeth for good closers or take risks on them. Draft real players and get closers late or off free agency, don't gamble your high picks on former closers with mangled elbows. Pointless.
[b][size=35]25[/size][/b]
bselig Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Sun Oct 09, 2005 10:50 pm

bselig wrote:Gagne aka closer with bad elbow won't go 4th round in any decent keeper league unless it's composed of gm's who are veterans of the special olympics. In a regular league if you're talking 14-15 round, that's fine, nothing wrong with taking a flier on him. Anything higher than 13th or 12th round or around there isn't necessary; with the closer turnover in the majors you don't have to pay through the teeth for good closers or take risks on them. Draft real players and get closers late or off free agency, don't gamble your high picks on former closers with mangled elbows. Pointless.

Thank you for saving me the time of paraphrasing what you say here word for word. Well put ;-D

I will now go look up the meaning of the word paraphrase.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:17 pm

bselig wrote:In a regular league if you're talking 14-15 round, that's fine, nothing wrong with taking a flier on him. Anything higher than 13th or 12th round or around there isn't necessary; with the closer turnover in the majors you don't have to pay through the teeth for good closers or take risks on them.

Nah, disagree with this. If healthy, Gagne isn't a good closer he's a dominant one. He won't make it to the 14th in any league I'm involved in. (Assuming he's ready to go at the start of the season.)
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:25 pm

Amazinz wrote:
bselig wrote:In a regular league if you're talking 14-15 round, that's fine, nothing wrong with taking a flier on him. Anything higher than 13th or 12th round or around there isn't necessary; with the closer turnover in the majors you don't have to pay through the teeth for good closers or take risks on them.

Nah, disagree with this. If healthy, Gagne isn't a good closer he's a dominant one. He won't make it to the 14th in any league I'm involved in. (Assuming he's ready to go at the start of the season.)

I know for a fact that in all of my leagues he's no doubt going before before the 8th. In my keeper league if he isn't kept (we get 4 or 5 keepers) and makes its to the 9th pick he's mine ;-D.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers