Gagne a huge steal next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Gagne a huge steal next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Mustangs989 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:03 pm

Hmm guess I really like Gagne for next year, assuming he looks healthy in ST I'd have no problem taking him around round 6-8. No way he gets to the sleeper rounds IMO.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:36 pm

Mustangs989 wrote:Hmm guess I really like Gagne for next year, assuming he looks healthy in ST I'd have no problem taking him around round 6-8. No way he gets to the sleeper rounds IMO.

Me too. He's fairly risky, but we all know what he's capable of doing. I also think that there's no way that Gagne falls under the radar this year, either.

I have him way above Jones/Dempster. I value Dempster fairly well since he's always had good stuff, but I think Jones is going to collapse big time next year.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nuggets » Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:55 pm

warrick95 wrote:I have him(Gagne) way above Jones/Dempster. I value Dempster fairly well since he's always had good stuff, but I think Jones is going to collapse big time next year.

Jones had better "stuff" than Dempster last year(2005) or is it this year?

At this point without a few healthy innings pitched from Gagne, I have him near Dempster because I'm a Cubs fan and know not to expect too much. And near Jones because if he is in Florida with those pitchers he could have another 40 save season. Jones would of had more save opportunities if it weren't for Mota.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:09 pm

After Moriano, Ryan, Lidge, Krod; Gagne would be my next choice at closer. Sure he coming off an injury but there's no way in hell you can argue against 1.83 era .83 whip and 387 k's over the last 4 seasons (including this year while pitching through pain). I'd gladly pick him in the 3rd round or later (I always go big bat and my ace with my 1st 2 picks). I can't see him getting picked after the 5th or 6th in leagues where the managers are fantasy vets.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:58 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:Isn't he out until the All-Star break?

I've been reading reports that he'll pitch at the WBC and will be ready by Spring Training after long tossing in the last few weeks. I originally thought the same thing you did about the AS break and this news is what got me thinking.

:-? Gagne? Sleeper.... :-D

No way, man. I took that risk with Bonds this year, and I got burned bad.

:-P
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby RAmst23 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:17 pm

If Gagne is around after round 12, I'll be taking a grab at him. Otherwise, I don't see it happening. My guess is he'll be drafted along with the other top closers in baseball though, I'm betting the majority of the drafting public will expect a full recovery from him for next year.
Not so sure about that myself though...
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby warrick95 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:53 pm

nuggets wrote:
warrick95 wrote:I have him(Gagne) way above Jones/Dempster. I value Dempster fairly well since he's always had good stuff, but I think Jones is going to collapse big time next year.

At this point without a few healthy innings pitched from Gagne, I have him near Dempster because I'm a Cubs fan and know not to expect too much. And near Jones because if he is in Florida with those pitchers he could have another 40 save season. Jones would of had more save opportunities if it weren't for Mota.

What I meant by that, was Ryan Dempster has always had the stuff to succeed as a closer. He's always been inconsistent, but he seemingly fares well as a closer, for some reason. And stuff means raw stuff...ability. I disagree that Todd Jones has better raw stuff than Ryan Dempster. However, he did pitch better last year, but I think he was riding a big wave.

Jones has simply never been this good a pitcher in his career and over the past few years, he's been simply pathetic. He's a perfect example of an overvauled pitcher, because his numbesr are completely our of the norm. While it is certainly POSSIBLE that he's reinvented himself, it's a shaky proposition to draft him based on his performance last season. He's a 37 year old pitcher who had WHIPs of 1.36, 2.01, 1.53, 1.30, and 1.70 before this 1.03 season. Personally, I think Jones is lucky to have received the job in Detroit back in the day and is now employed because he was a "proven closer."
Jones is one of the best exhibits of players that will be overvalued coming into the season. Others like him in the past include Esteban Loaiza.

1. I would not expect more saves from Todd Jones, whether he is on FLA or not. He got an absolutely sick amount of save opportunities last year...more than other pticehrs were receiving. While it's true that FLA has generated a good # of save opportunities over the past few years, I would still temper my expectations closer to league averages.

IMO, Mota retakes closing roles in Florida, whether or not Todd Jones is around. That is, if he's not dealt.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nuggets » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:22 am

warrick95 wrote:
nuggets wrote:

What I meant by that, was Ryan Dempster has always had the stuff to succeed as a closer. He's always been inconsistent, but he seemingly fares well as a closer, for some reason. And stuff means raw stuff...ability. I disagree that Todd Jones has better raw stuff than Ryan Dempster. However, he did pitch better last year, but I think he was riding a big wave.

Jones has simply never been this good a pitcher in his career and over the past few years, he's been simply pathetic. He's a perfect example of an overvauled pitcher, because his numbesr are completely our of the norm. While it is certainly POSSIBLE that he's reinvented himself, it's a shaky proposition to draft him based on his performance last season. He's a 37 year old pitcher who had WHIPs of 1.36, 2.01, 1.53, 1.30, and 1.70 before this 1.03 season. Personally, I think Jones is lucky to have received the job in Detroit back in the day and is now employed because he was a "proven closer."
Jones is one of the best exhibits of players that will be overvalued coming into the season. Others like him in the past include Esteban Loaiza.

1. I would not expect more saves from Todd Jones, whether he is on FLA or not. He got an absolutely sick amount of save opportunities last year...more than other pticehrs were receiving. While it's true that FLA has generated a good # of save opportunities over the past few years, I would still temper my expectations closer to league averages.

IMO, Mota retakes closing roles in Florida, whether or not Todd Jones is around. That is, if he's not dealt.

I agree about Dempster. Like I said I'm a Cubs fan and worry about his success. I'd definitely take him over Jones but I understand that Jones could be better.

I didn't mean to imply that Jones has better stuff overall, but this last year he did.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:16 pm

Maybe in a non-keeper Gagne will drop to the 8th or so, but in a Keeper, I don't think Gagne will get past the 4th or 5th. Anyone else think he'll go that high in a keeper?
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:22 pm

brandnew wrote:Maybe in a non-keeper Gagne will drop to the 8th or so, but in a Keeper, I don't think Gagne will get past the 4th or 5th. Anyone else think he'll go that high in a keeper?

Maybe but I wouldn't go that high. He will be 30 next year and has already had 2 serious elbow injuries.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers