BitTorrent - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

BitTorrent

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

BitTorrent

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:04 pm

Alright, I need some info on BitTorrent, and I have a couple main question in mind:
1. How illegal is it?
2. I understand that it is a variation on peer-to-peer where if you are downloading something then theoretically another person could be downloading that same thing from you at the same time you are downloading it from someone else, so does that mean that other users have access to your hard drive/files?
3. What are the chances of getting caught?
4. What traces does it leave on your computer?
5. What are download times like?

And any thing else that you find relavent would help too ;-) ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: BitTorrent

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:06 pm

baseball6791 wrote:Alright, I need some info on BitTorrent, and I have a couple main question in mind:
1. How illegal is it?
2. I understand that it is a variation on peer-to-peer where if you are downloading something then theoretically another person could be downloading that same thing from you at the same time you are downloading it from someone else, so does that mean that other users have access to your hard drive/files?

1-4 is technical stuff and I don't know.

5 is half your internet's speed usually.

example: your ISP's usuall download speed is 40k/sec, 20k/sec would go download and 20k would go to upload.

I think :-?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:23 pm

baseball6791 wrote:Alright, I need some info on BitTorrent, and I have a couple main question in mind:
1. How illegal is it?

1. Depends on what download (i.e. illegal if download hollywood movies, but legal if you download stuff like linux).
2. People only have access to that specific torrent that you're downloading/uploading.
3. Depends on what you download and how much you UPLOAD.
4. TThe file you dled :-b . I think your IP can be traced through the tracker.
5. Depends on how popular the file is because they're will be more seeds and peers who can upload. Also it depends on how fast and how many peer they can upload to.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:49 am

1. How illegal is it?

Lol! :-b Can't help it.....that's a hilarious question! :-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby acsguitar » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:57 pm

1. How illegal is it?

1. How illegal is it? Well as illegal as any other program that lets you download software without using a license.
2. I understand that it is a variation on peer-to-peer where if you are downloading something then theoretically another person could be downloading that same thing from you at the same time you are downloading it from someone else, so does that mean that other users have access to your hard drive/files? No
3. What are the chances of getting caught?1 - 1,000,000,000
4. What traces does it leave on your computer? None
5. What are download times like? Depends. The more people with the file the quicker it is. A popular file like a DVD or APP can download over night while a less popular could take a week.

I use it and love it. ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:32 am

1. How illegal is it?

Things like this I know quite well.
1)Bittorrent is just a tool, and isn't illegal itself. It is just a method of file distribution. What you do with it does not have to be illegal, but in most cases it isn't used for the most legal of purposes.
2)It is a file-sharing program meaning what you allow to be shared, is what others have access to. In this case, it is only the file you are actively downloading or seeding. There are "cheating" clients that don't upload anything though.
3)Varies. Try downloading an obscure independent film and there will be no problems. Then try downloading the newest box office release on a very popular torrent site and you are pushing your luck.
4)I assume you mean traces left by actually downloading files. All that is there on your own computer is the file itself. Just deleting the file in a normal way could also still leave traces of that file and is a reason why they make special disk-wiping software for purposes of removing any traces of data. Also, your ISP logs IP and activity associated with that IP on their own servers.
5)Many things influence speed. Seed/peer ratio, the speeds of those seeds and peers, and your own transfer speed limits are the primary determinants. Also, things like a a firewall and configuration of the bittorrent client can also affect speeds. A "healthy" torrent will usually give very good speeds.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Webster11 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:06 pm

I just downloaded it and im giving it a try. I found a file and Ive been trying to download for about 15 minutes, but so far Ive made no progress and the speed is fluxuating between 0 kb/s and 1kb/s. I have a cable connection and Ive tried mutilple files and I can't figure out whats wrong, is this normal?
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:08 pm

Webster11 wrote:I just downloaded it and im giving it a try. I found a file and Ive been trying to download for about 15 minutes, but so far Ive made no progress and the speed is fluxuating between 0 kb/s and 1kb/s. I have a cable connection and Ive tried mutilple files and I can't figure out whats wrong, is this normal?

1)Dial-up connection?
2)some files that only had 1-5 seeders?
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Webster11 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:12 pm

Nah, cable. How can you check the seeders? It looks like its picking up a little now, but no where near the speeds im used to.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Webster11 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:16 pm

Webster11 wrote:Nah, cable. How can you check the seeders? It looks like its picking up a little now, but no where near the speeds im used to.

...and back down to 0 again :-[
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to General Talk