You'll never guess who wants to be traded again... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

You'll never guess who wants to be traded again...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:10 am

How much do you think the Sox are going to get back in return if this trade goes down? I think people are overestimating. The Mets would be assuming a huge chunk of money. The only way the Sox get Cammy, Heilman, and a prospect or two is if they eat some of that contract. If they're going to eat some of that contract then what is the purpose of trading Manny? The best chance for the Sox to get value was during the season.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:18 am

Amazinz wrote:How much do you think the Sox are going to get back in return if this trade goes down? I think people are overestimating. The Mets would be assuming a huge chunk of money. The only way the Sox get Cammy, Heilman, and a prospect or two is if they eat some of that contract. If they're going to eat some of that contract then what is the purpose of trading Manny? The best chance for the Sox to get value was during the season.

Exactly my point. The Mets will not care about losing Cameon, so they'll likely be willing to part with a mid-level prospect (not Milledge, unless Boston pays part of Manny's deal) and Heilman.

People talking about Carlos Beltran? Come on. This isn't MVP Baseball 2005.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 55)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:16 am

Amazinz wrote:How much do you think the Sox are going to get back in return if this trade goes down? I think people are overestimating. The Mets would be assuming a huge chunk of money. The only way the Sox get Cammy, Heilman, and a prospect or two is if they eat some of that contract. If they're going to eat some of that contract then what is the purpose of trading Manny? The best chance for the Sox to get value was during the season.

You are forgetting 3 things:

1. Pedro and Manny are buds.
2. The Mets will lose Piazza's $$ off of their payroll and will have $$ to burn.
3. Minaya has a man crush on Manny.

You would think that Manny could be had at a somewhat discount but I'm not sure that the Mets can get him for that.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:46 am

Lofunzo wrote:

2. The Mets will lose Piazza's $$ off of their payroll and will have $$ to burn.

You would think that Manny could be had at a somewhat discount but I'm not sure that the Mets can get him for that.

What part of Manny's contract looks like a discount? :-? :-D

There's absolutely no way the Mets take on a 34-year old @ $20M (x3) per year and get a discount. The Sox aren't going to pay half his salary else it would make more sense to keep him. My point wasn't that the Mets can get Manny at any sort of discount just that I am confident that they aren't paying $20M, Cameron, Heilman and 1 or 2 prospects.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:48 am

Amazinz wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

What part of Manny's contract looks like a discount? :-? :-D

There's absolutely no way the Mets take on a 34-year old @ $20M (x3) per year and get a discount. The Sox aren't going to pay half his salary else it would make more sense to keep him. My point wasn't that the Mets can get Manny at any sort of discount just that I am confident that they aren't paying $20M, Cameron, Heilman and 1 or 2 prospects.

Sorry. You misunderstood me. What I meant was that what happens a lot in these instances is that the Mets would either take on the entire contract and give lesser value players or have Boston pick some up and they would pay with better players.

What's gonna happen with the NY media when Manny's just being Manny?? ;-7
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:52 am

Maybe I just don't get it. Why trade Manny even if he moans, complains and pouts around the clubhouse? You can't get full value for him cause of the huge contract and there is no way to fill that hole in your lineup. If you are the Red Sox, what is worse? An unhappy Manny still in the lineup or paying half his salary to play somewhere else while you get prospects in return.
The only way I would think the Sox would consider it is if they planned on rebuilding and I just don't see it.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:53 am

Pogotheostrich wrote:Maybe I just don't get it. Why trade Manny even if he moans, complains and pouts around the clubhouse? You can't get full value for him cause of the huge contract and there is no way to fill that hole in your lineup. If you are the Red Sox, what is worse? An unhappy Manny still in the lineup or paying half his salary to play somewhere else while you get prospects in return.
The only way I would think the Sox would consider it is if they planned on rebuilding and I just don't see it.

I agree and that doesn't even take into account the effect that it would have on Ortiz and the fan base, who would have seen Pedro, Manny, and possibly Damon go in the matter of 1+ years.
Lofunzo

Postby Amazinz » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:02 am

Well I agree with both of you on that. The Sox are not a poor club so it makes no sense to me why they want to get rid of him.
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:12 am

Amazinz wrote:Well I agree with both of you on that. The Sox are not a poor club so it makes no sense to me why they want to get rid of him.

Now stop talking and start moving threads with me. :-o :-D
Lofunzo

Postby The Loveable Losers » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:03 pm

I don't know...I think if they DO resign Damon they can afford to move Manny and not really have a 'rebuilding' year. If they move him for Cameron, Heilman and maybe one lesser prospect they shouldn't have to pay much of the salary on Manny (if any). Use that money to resign Damon to a decent deal, sign Konerko to take care of 1B and then use whatever's left to get a decent SP and RP. Sure, Manny is a future HOF'er. Yes, he puts up incredible numbers year-in and year-out. But Konerko is no slouch with the bat. Cameron gives them added speed in the OF and allows Trot Nixon to play in LF where he won't have to cover nearly as much ground. I think whether they should do this or not depends a lot on what Manny's actually saying to them (not in the press). If they feel like he's going to pull a Sheffield on them and tank his play when he's unhappy then I'd move him. If they feel that he's just going to be a distraction...well, that's just Manny being Manny isn't it? :D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers