You'll never guess who wants to be traded again... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

You'll never guess who wants to be traded again...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby stevethumb » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:13 pm

giants8307 wrote:After today's comments, I'll bet gagne would welcome him with open arms. Maybe billingsley/drew for manny? A big contract like drew's would have to be involved.
...i agree that the dodgers should be a likely destination for manny...
stevethumb
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:43 pm

Worst comes to the worst, we can't replace enough to compete next time out, we hold our fire, conserve our cash, and rebuild. I know there are some who think that teams with payroll like ours need never rebuild, but they've obviously never watched the Mets.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby mweir145 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:49 pm

BritSox wrote:Worst comes to the worst, we can't replace enough to compete next time out, we hold our fire, conserve our cash, and rebuild. I know there are some who think that teams with payroll like ours need never rebuild, but they've obviously never watched the Mets.

And that is when the Jays step in and take the place of the Sox.. :-D
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby nsulham » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:30 am

Yoda wrote:Not necessarily. When you subtract a .300, 40 HR, 100 RBI guy out of your lineup, you are going to be hurting unless you replace him. Last time I checked, no one like that is available especially even up for Manny and his contract.

You'd have to be A)completely blind or B)a Red Sox fan to not realize this.

I should also mention that A and B are basically one and the same ;-7

You honestly think IF they let Manny go, they would just say "Oh well, we just lost one of the greatest hitters of this generation, no sense in trying to patch that hole?"

Of course they're not. I never said one guy out there would equal Manny but if they can get 2 guys to come close they'll be ok. No one equals Manny, we get that. But if they lose Manny, and counter it with say Konerko/some outfielder acquired via FA or trade, that's not all bad you know.

My whole point was that even if they lose Manny, they'll have a back-up plan and they're not going to suddenly fall to the dregs of the AL. Anyone can say "if you take a blah blah blah hitter out of the lineup, it's going to hurt."

Well no crap Sherlock. But they're not going to cry over the fact that he's gone (IF he goes) and not do anything about it.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BritSox » Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:02 am

mweir145 wrote:
BritSox wrote:Worst comes to the worst, we can't replace enough to compete next time out, we hold our fire, conserve our cash, and rebuild. I know there are some who think that teams with payroll like ours need never rebuild, but they've obviously never watched the Mets.

Well, I certainly think you'll finish ahead of us next year if we were to go full-on rebuild.. but I still think this Jays team is possibly another season away, so by the time you'd be really good, we'd be ba-ack. More likely, i think, is if we don't rebuild, go all out next year, then you overtake us for a couple seasons after that.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby bceagles04 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:39 am

ya, if we traded Manny to the CHiSox, which wouldnt happen we could get prospects, a LF, and then sign Konerko...eh forget it, i will just wait
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nsulham » Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:25 am

bceagles04 wrote:ya, if we traded Manny to the CHiSox, which wouldnt happen we could get prospects, a LF, and then sign Konerko...eh forget it, i will just wait

Konerko is a FA (I'm pretty sure). They don't have to trade Manny for him.
nsulham
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Oct 08, 2005 7:00 pm

BritSox wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Well, I certainly think you'll finish ahead of us next year if we were to go full-on rebuild.. but I still think this Jays team is possibly another season away, so by the time you'd be really good, we'd be ba-ack. More likely, i think, is if we don't rebuild, go all out next year, then you overtake us for a couple seasons after that.

As long as the Yanks and Sox ownership groups are in place, I don't see either of them going into full-rebuild mode.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby dryice » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:48 am

Last edited by dryice on Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
dryice
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:56 am

dryice wrote:22 mil, manny untradeable except to mets. hard to see it. would sox take Beltran? would mets put up with manny at left field? fits in great at Fenway.

at least manny produces at mega bucks level and Sox might not want to take on Beltran..

no manny stands right now left with weak hitting team
3rd, 1st no hit, 2nd ss, rest outfield average at best.

course with 22 mil, could sign Kornerko and improve pitiching...
or play Ortiz at first and sign a mess of moderate grade hitters.

interesting off season.

Beltran? What?

The Red Sox aren't getting Beltran in return for Manny. Why would the Mets do that, plus eat Manny's contract? It's not like fantasy baseball, you'll likely only see a few prospects go to Boston, maybe with a player like Cameron or Heilman. Not Carlos Beltran.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers