Giambi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby WharfRat » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:13 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:I look past the pinstripes, in fact I routinely blast my players here but I'm defensive when it comes to Giambi because although he made a mistake, he owned up to it as much as he could have unlike the other lying juiceheads in the league.
Once again, when did this happen? Cause if calling a press conference to say you are sorry but you do not actually admit or say why you are sorry is "owning up to it", I'm very out of touch on what "owning up to it" means.

What did you think he was apologizing for? Being a bad person?
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:20 pm

So you are saying someone can own up to something without actually saying what it is they are admitting to? That sounds like the exact opposite of owning up to something, IMO.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 449)

Postby WharfRat » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:27 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:So you are saying someone can own up to something without actually saying what it is they are admitting to? That sounds like the exact opposite of owning up to something, IMO.

Okay - so you're with your girl. You let it slip that her butt looks big in the jeans she's wearing. She gets mad and stomps off. Later you buy her flowers and apologize. Doesn't she know exactly what you're apologizing for? Or does she need you to explicitly say, "Sorry your ass is fat, hun"?

Same with Giambi. It came out that he'd admitted to a grand jury that he's juiced. EVERYBODY in the baseball world was talking about Giambi as Mr. Juicer. It's splashed all over ESPN, all over the NYC press. He then calls a press conference and apologizes. Is there really ANY doubt about what he was apologizing for? Seriously? At the time, he kept saying that he couldn't explicitly say "steroids" because of legal issues. Isn't it possible that this is, in fact, the case? He didn't deny like Franklin or blame a teammate like Raffy. He just apologized. I don't know, I guess I saw that as a respectable thing to do.

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:35 pm

I didn't. It speaks volumes about today's society that having a press conference where he didn't say anything is considered the respectable thing to do. Respectable would have been to admit he was wrong and deal with the consequences. Isn't we get a half-assed apology and he gets off Scot-free.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 449)

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:39 pm

Not defending Giambi or anything, but I'd thought I'd throw in the fact that Giambi couldn't say a whole lot about it because alot of things were and still are going on in court involving the subject. I don't know all the ins and outs of what he could and couldn't say, but I'd guess that there are things that could not be said. I don't know for sure though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 116)

Postby WharfRat » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:45 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I didn't. It speaks volumes about today's society that having a press conference where he didn't say anything is considered the respectable thing to do. Respectable would have been to admit he was wrong and deal with the consequences. Isn't we get a half-assed apology and he gets off Scot-free.

I thought that's what an apology was, which is what he gave. Again, what else did you think he was apologizing for? Were you really confused that day, having no idea why he was apologizing? ;-7

WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AT » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:52 pm

Pogo stop it, you're giving me and everyone else who reads this a headache. You know, and everyone else knows, what he was apologizing for.

You think he should have owned up to it by admitting to "steroids" specifically and given up $80 Million? Oh I guess he should have owned up to it $80 Million times. Then he would've been a real man.

If we expect ballplayers to do that we're being unfair. They got that money from GM's and Owners who knew full well what they were doing when they signed those guys. Especially "The Most Obvious Juicer in the Game". For them to own up to it by giving those guys a reason to void their contracts would be moronic. It would essentially give the Teams a reason to be hypocritical with their signings, then throw up their arms and say "Well how could we know?" :-?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Nuclear29 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:13 pm

Hey, I'm a New Yorker too and I read the papers and heard the radio and saw ESPN same as everybody else. I'm not a Yankee fan, but I actually like Giambi. Better than most. My point (and I guess we'll disagree) is that I believe that Sexson is more deserving of this totally inconsequential award. :-°
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AT » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:24 pm

Nuclear29 wrote:Hey, I'm a New Yorker too and I read the papers and heard the radio and saw ESPN same as everybody else. I'm not a Yankee fan, but I actually like Giambi. Better than most. My point (and I guess we'll disagree) is that I believe that Sexson is more deserving of this totally inconsequential award. :-°

Fair enough. Sexson had a great comeback season, and you being a NY'er know that as a fan's award it's obvious know Giambi got it over blondie in Seattle.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mweir145 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:31 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:that fact that a steriod user is allowed to get an award is awful

But not uncommon. Canseco won an MVP and there were probably several other users that got them (Bonds, Gonzalez, Pudge, etc.) At least it wasn't a very prominent award.

I don't recall Bonds, Pudge or Gonzalez ever failing any tests... :-?

Giambi deserves it, he had an amazing season compared to last year.

That's why I said "probably several other users." If you want to be all politcally correct, then Giambi never failed a test either. Bonds has been implicated just as much as Giambi with the leaked testimony.

But Giambi did publicly imply/say that he took them, none of those others did.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers