Giambi - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Giambi

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:53 am

I'm very happy for Jason. Perhaps it was steriod inflicted, but he came back from a bum knee, bad eyesight, parasites and a tumor that threatened his life.

Anyone that's read about how he had no life in him last season, with the exhaustion and throwing up in the middle of the night knows how far he's come.

Good for him and I'm glad Griffey won too. ;-D
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:17 am

mweir145 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
bceagles04 wrote:that fact that a steriod user is allowed to get an award is awful

But not uncommon. Canseco won an MVP and there were probably several other users that got them (Bonds, Gonzalez, Pudge, etc.) At least it wasn't a very prominent award.

I don't recall Bonds, Pudge or Gonzalez ever failing any tests... :-?

Giambi deserves it, he had an amazing season compared to last year.

That's why I said "probably several other users." If you want to be all politcally correct, then Giambi never failed a test either. Bonds has been implicated just as much as Giambi with the leaked testimony.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:35 am

Giambi and Griff are certainly deserving.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Honus » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:33 am

If Giambi were on the Indians, the team I support, I would be disgusted that he was on the Tribe and representing Ohio. I'd rather cheer for a Sizemore than a Gonzalez any day of the week and would rather lose with a clean team than win with a bunch of drug addict freaks. The way people apologize for drug users because they help their team win is pathetic. I guess Yankee fans need to get their annual October fix just as bad as Giambi needed to get pumped up with a new designer drug that isn't tested for.

Oh yeah, I forgot, but Giambi never tested positive for anything. He's just sorry, so sorry, so very, very sorry for what he did. :~( :~( :~(

The commissioner and the player's union might look the other way with their lame testing program, but shame on any true fan of baseball (and any legitimate competition) that does.
We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out. Decca Recording, 1962
New opinions are always suspected, and usually opposed, without any other reason but because they are not already common. John Locke
Fortune favors the bold. Virgil
Honus
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WharfRat » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:01 am

Kudos to the Giambino. Yeah, he's a cheat. But he's owned up to it and taken it like a man, and as far as we know he is a cheater no more. Does the award stipulate from where you have to come back? Nope. He was down as low as it gets, having done it to himself, and he came a long way from his self-induced hell. A fine choice for the award, even if Sexson was equally as deserving.

Honus - I imagine you'd be singing a different tune if he actually was on the Indians. No one is apologizing for him. He pulled off a great, clean comeback and won an award that he probably deserved. Doesn't mean what he did isn't repugnant, vile and should be condemned. Don't be so bitter, Wickman would have lost to Sexson anyway if Giambi wasn't in the running.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:04 am

WharfRat wrote:Kudos to the Giambino. Yeah, he's a cheat. But he's owned up to it and taken it like a man, and as far as we know he is a cheater no more.
When did that happen?

I didn't vote for Giambi but I don't have a problem with him winning. He did have an incredible comeback.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:40 am

I don't understand why people are so upset about this. Giambi wasn't tested positive as far as I know. Even if he did steroids, he's battled a lot of health problems to come back and put together a huge season DESPITE all the crap he had to deal with the media, fans, etc.

Plus he is one of the few who apologized for whatever he did wrong. Not like Raffy the Rat who denied and lied about using steroids in front of Congress, went as far as threatening to sue Canseco then threw his teammate under the bus. Giambi had an incredible comeback and there really is no one else who comes close.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nuclear29 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:43 am

Giambi: 32HR, .271, 87 RBI, 74R
Sexson: 39 HR, .263, 121 RBI, 99R
You go there once, you'll be there twice.
Nuclear29
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:09 pm

After the tumor, I'm happy for him. Sexson should have been close. It'd be nice to see a link all the players they had to choose from.

Roy Halladay would have been on that list if he hadn't gotten hurt and will make it next year. Mark the tape.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby AT » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:15 pm

Giambi .440 OBP 2nd in ML, 1st in AL

Sexson .369 OBP
AT
General Manager
General Manager