The Best Way to Setup for Draft Day - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Best Way to Setup for Draft Day

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Fri Oct 07, 2005 6:50 am

Sleep!! ...
I always try and organize all of my drafts over one weekend, and I never get any sleep. By the last draft, I am exausted. Last year I was up for almost 30 hours when the final draft rolled around, and I picked an absoulte horrible team. I was only able to reconstruct it for a 6th place finish. Next year, I am spreading it out and going to bed.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:02 pm

I like a set of cheat sheets for each position based on my rankings.

One thing I neglected to do is an overall sheet ranking the players in order. I had one where I had guys listed as 1st rounders, 2nd rounders, etc. It messed me up around the 7 or 8th round where I had no one left that I wanted to take that high. Well you gotta draft somebody, so that was bad preparation on my part. I'd be thinking I dont want to take this guy here, since I had him slotted in the 9th! You gotta be ready for what happens.

The other think is that the rankings have to be what you want. I've had players drop to me, and found I didnt really want them there. If your rankings are good you should just be able to look at the next few guys on the list and choose among them.

I also do a checklist of what positions are taken, .e.g. //// (4) catchers, ////\ /// (8) pitchers, etc. I arrange them so the counts relate to the number of teams. That way I know what positions are filling up and which ones people havent really drafted yet. Then I can anticipate runs, and understand when I can ignore positions. I dont really care which team picked which.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby AT » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:11 pm

swyck wrote:I also do a checklist of what positions are taken, .e.g. //// (4) catchers, ////\ /// (8) pitchers, etc. I arrange them so the counts relate to the number of teams. That way I know what positions are filling up and which ones people havent really drafted yet. Then I can anticipate runs, and understand when I can ignore positions. I dont really care which team picked which.

That's kind of like the first sheet I mentioned. I want to have it set up so I can easily read, on 1 sheet, who needs what (To get an idea of whether a C or another shallow position will fall back to me on the snake), and how many of each position is taken (for similar reasons). With a chart of Teams along the top (In their drafting order) and positions along the left column I think you can cross them off as you go in a pretty organized way. It gets tricky with multiple eligibilities but if you're doing a draft with certain people (friends, or drunk people) they'll answer you if you ask what position they're putting a certain guy at. Of course you have to ask in a cagey way...

"Jesus, Figgins? Nice pick...Where are you gonna put that guy? He plays everywhere!" Oh, 2B? Nice Pick... (scribble scribble)
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers