Top 25 Keepers for 2006! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 25 Keepers for 2006!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby j24jags » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:23 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
Yoda wrote:LOL you sneak Carpenter in there and omit Willis. Classic. This is a useless debate.

You like Willis alot, i like him some. A top 25 is subjective, no one will have the exact 25.

Last 2 years whip

Willis 1.38 1.13
Carpenter 1.14 1.06

Carpenter this year had the single greatest streak of 3 earned or less in about 80 years.

I like Carpenter more, it was no sneak in.

i also like carpenter a tad more than willis. carpenter has had 2 CY quality seasons and willis just one.
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:36 pm

Yoda wrote:I never said anything about Willis over Peavy. If anything, they are just about equal. If you have not done so yet, look up their career stats. To say that Peavy is a top 15 pitcher but Willis doesn' sniff top 25 in a keeper league is ridiculous. I don't see it any other way. Please explain this to me as you guys seem like you know what you are talking about.

I like Peavy alot more because Peavy has a much better K rate. Peavy was 2nd in mlb in K/9 this year.

Last 2 years

Peavy 9.56 K/9
Willis 6.44 K/9

Last 2 years Peavy has had a sub 3 era. This is Willis 1st year under 3.30. I want to see Willis do it again. Maybe he's top 25. Just not for me.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby j24jags » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:38 pm

id go
peavy
carpenter
willis
j24jags
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:08 am

Am I missing something? Didn't Willis in his 3rd season pretty much equal Carpenter's best ever? Willis is what, 6 years younger than Carpenter? The chances of Willis outperforming Carpenter in the next 3-5 years much greater than not.

Peavy/Willis is about as equal as it can get right now. Peavy's ceiling might be slightly higher but what each accomplished so far in their careers is pretty even.

Oh, and about Willis' delivery... Unless you ahve a crystal ball, you have no freaking idea whether it will lead to an injury. Prior apparently has the best delivery ever and he can't seem to stay healthy. It's a shot in the dark at best.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:14 am

Yoda wrote:Am I missing something? Didn't Willis in his 3rd season pretty much equal Carpenter's best ever? Willis is what, 6 years younger than Carpenter? The chances of Willis outperforming Carpenter in the next 3-5 years much greater than not.

Peavy/Willis is about as equal as it can get right now. Peavy's ceiling might be slightly higher but what each accomplished so far in their careers is pretty even.

Oh, and about Willis' delivery... Unless you ahve a crystal ball, you have no freaking idea whether it will lead to an injury. Prior apparently has the best delivery ever and he can't seem to stay healthy. It's a shot in the dark at best.

Is this a fantasy discussion?

If it is, then you should really take into account Peavy's k/9 ratio compared with Willis's. The difference is staggering.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby brandnew » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:16 am

I don't see how Willis and Peavy are equal. Willis has an edge in ERA, but Peavy beats him a lot in K/9, K/IP, and WHIP, which are huge stats. Not to mention, Peavy beats him by a lot in BAA.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:21 am

brandnew wrote:I don't see how Willis and Peavy are equal. Willis has an edge in ERA, but Peavy beats him a lot in K/9, K/IP, and WHIP, which are huge stats. Not to mention, Peavy beats him by a lot in BAA.

Exactly, Peavy is obviously the more dominating pitcher of the 2 of them.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby nuggets » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:25 am

I can't find a way to justify giving Carpenter more value than Willis in a keeper league.

As far as I know, Willis could end up with anybody next year. Peavy is in San Diego until 2008.

Willis gives up more hits. Peavy gives up more home runs and extra base hits.

Willis has a lower all-time standard and defense adjusted ERA.

There are people who are paid to predict how good and for how long players will be who you are well aware of. As of now one group of these people are predicting Dontrelle to be better for longer. They also say he has the potential to be better or worse than Peavy could be in the short run.

Today, I would draft Peavy over Willis only because I do not know where he will be pitching most of his games next year or if that team will support his Wins. If it's the same scenario as this year was, I take Willis.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby brandnew » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:37 am

The Marlins' Front Office has already stated that the only gaurantees to come back next year are Cabrera, Beckett, and Willis, so they're not going anywhere.

IMO, Peavy has better stuff than Willis, a better delivery, plays on a better team, in a better ball park, has a better bullpen, has better K numbers, and a lower WHIP. Peavy has had some small implosions this year, his ERA is pretty close to Willis', and I'll take that with all his other better numbers.

Just my opinion, I think Peavy has way too many factors working in his favor.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Yoda » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:04 am

brandnew wrote:The Marlins' Front Office has already stated that the only gaurantees to come back next year are Cabrera, Beckett, and Willis, so they're not going anywhere.

IMO, Peavy has better stuff than Willis, a better delivery, plays on a better team, in a better ball park, has a better bullpen, has better K numbers, and a lower WHIP. Peavy has had some small implosions this year, his ERA is pretty close to Willis', and I'll take that with all his other better numbers.

Just my opinion, I think Peavy has way too many factors working in his favor.

FLA is better than SD. Willis gives up less BB, HR and posted a better ERA despite playing against tougher opponents. Peavy missed more time in 04 and 05 due to various injuries while Willis has not. Willis went the distance 7 to Peavy's 3. Willis had 5 SHO to Peavy's 3.

Peavy has better pure stuff but that is about it right now. They are equally good pitchers.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers