Top 25 Keepers for 2006! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 25 Keepers for 2006!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 25 Keepers for 2006!

Postby warrick95 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:22 pm

messyjesse1 wrote:Here is my mock top 25 in the order they will be drafted next year in a keeper league....feel free to post yours or correct mine!

1. Albert Pujols
2. Alex Rodriguez
3. Vlad Guerrero
4. Miguel Cabrera
5. Mark Teixeira
6. David Ortiz
7. Miguel Tejada
8. Alfonso Soriano
9. Johan Santana
10. Manny Ramirez
11. Dontrelle Willis
12. Carlos Beltran
13. Jake Peavy
14. Rich Harden
15. David Wright
16. Carl Crawford
17. Bobby Abreu
18. Derrek Lee
19. Jason Bay
20. Mark Prior
21. Roy Oswalt
22. Travis Hafner
23. Aramis Ramirez
24. Michael Young
25. Felix Hernandez

Overall, solid list, but there appears to be an inclination towards pitchers at the top. Most people prefer to draft hitters early and perhaps would rather keep them as well.

I'd have Abreu up more, even though he's older.

Lee drops out of the top-25, IMO, he's never done anything like that in his career. In a keeper, I would deal him to any buyer at his current price.

If you're risk-tolerant, perhaps putting Delmon Young up on that list wouldn't be a bad idea. He's torn up every level he's played at, showing everything a good hitters needs, with amazing raw power and hitting ability, too. He's still very young, as well. Delmon certainly as first round potential in the future. He's a bit further off than the others, but for a rebuilding team that keeps quite a few players, take a look. I'm sure some of you keeper players may have considered the strategy of hoarding many young prospects on a team in the hope that they all hit it big in the future and then carrying a dynasty, instead of an assortment of players of different levels. Of course, it is risky, as prospects don't always pan out.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:24 pm

HOOTIE wrote:
dannyolbb wrote:
Hootie wrote:Willis was on the better team this year, but how can anyone say next year? There are a ton of free agents to address. Wins are hard to predict. What EVIDENCE is there Willis will win more from here on out.

A minor point, but still. I think it's time we acknowledge that Kevin Towers isn't a very good GM. Furthermore, the Padres don't have much of a minor league system, if memory serves.

My point is that they don't have a lot of help on the way. There is some evidence that Willis will continue to be on the better team. It's not conclusive, of course, but that's why it's not called proof. But there is some evidence nevertheless.

What evidence again? Towers might not be good, but SD has more wins from 04-05 then Florida. Florida won a whopping 1 more game then SD this year, and SD won more in 04. But let's throw that aside, since teams will lose and sign free agents. No one knows what SD or Florida will look like come spring. Burnett and TJones might not be back. For anyone to say right now Florida will win more then SD has zero merit.

YODA, i don't think people hate Willis, but i don't see him at # 11 in a keeper (25 for that matter). And why is Peavy brittle? In the last 3 years Willis has 93 starts versus Peavys 89.

Let's be fair. Peavy missed some games in 04 and 05 and now the rib injury put him out of the playoffs.

I don't see Willis at #11. But to say that he is not top 25 in a keeper league after what he did inside 3 years in the MLB is utterly ridiculous. THAT is a lot of hate.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:10 am

Yoda wrote:Let's be fair. Peavy missed some games in 04 and 05 and now the rib injury put him out of the playoffs.

I don't see Willis at #11. But to say that he is not top 25 in a keeper league after what he did inside 3 years in the MLB is utterly ridiculous. THAT is a lot of hate.

Yea he missed a few starts. But just as a comparision to Willis last 3 years:

Willis averages 31 starts
Peavy 30

Willis has 29 more innings in 3 years (10 a year)

So Willis averages 1 more start and 10 more innings. I will take a 30 start average from my sp (Peavy). Willis windup is going to take a toll in the long run.

Here are 25 better keepers

Arod
Pujols
Vlad
Soriano
DLee
AJones
Pedro
Manny
Ortiz
Sheffield
Oswalt
Halladay
Prior
Zambrano
Harden
King Felix
Tex
Cabrera
Santana
Crawford
Wright
Abreu
Bay
Hafner
MYoung
Tejada
ARam
Carpenter
Delgado

I listed 29, without Beltran, VMartinez, or a closer. Willis not in top 25 is very reasonable.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 297)
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Pogotheostrich » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:16 am

I don't think it is hate for Willis but to rank him over Peavy in a keeper is ridiculous to me. You can call Peavy brittle but he has made 30, 27 and 32 starts the last three years. Here's the other thing I have against Willis in a keeper: mechanics. Watching him pitch is amazing but he just threw 236 innings last year and his mechanics are like a ticking injury timebomb.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby Minor League Skilz » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:09 am

mweir145 wrote:Where is Halladay?

I couldn't agree more. I am glad to see people already forgetting about him. Doc carried me all year until the injury and I would love to see people undervalue him again next year. IMO the injury will just help keep his arm fresh for a full season next year.

If you want to talk about going late into games you have to mention Halladay.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:30 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Yoda wrote:Let's be fair. Peavy missed some games in 04 and 05 and now the rib injury put him out of the playoffs.

Peavy 30

So Willis averages 1 more start and 10 more innings. I will take a 30 start average from my sp (Peavy). Willis windup is going to take a toll in the long run.

Arod
Pujols
Vlad
Soriano
DLee
AJones
Pedro
Manny
Ortiz
Sheffield
Oswalt
Halladay
Prior
Zambrano
Harden
King Felix
Tex
Cabrera
Santana
Crawford
Wright
Abreu
Bay
Hafner
MYoung
Tejada
ARam
Carpenter
Delgado

I listed 29, without Beltran, VMartinez, or a closer. Willis not in top 25 is very reasonable.

LOL you sneak Carpenter in there and omit Willis. Classic. This is a useless debate.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby warrick95 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:37 pm

HOOTIE wrote:

Peavy 30

Arod
Pujols
Vlad
Soriano
DLee
AJones
Pedro
Manny
Ortiz
Sheffield
Oswalt
Halladay
Prior
Zambrano
Harden
King Felix
Tex
Cabrera
Santana
Crawford
Wright
Abreu
Bay
Hafner
MYoung
Tejada
ARam
Carpenter
Delgado

Lee AND Jones in the top-10? Seriously?
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:43 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:I don't think it is hate for Willis but to rank him over Peavy in a keeper is ridiculous to me. You can call Peavy brittle but he has made 30, 27 and 32 starts the last three years. Here's the other thing I have against Willis in a keeper: mechanics. Watching him pitch is amazing but he just threw 236 innings last year and his mechanics are like a ticking injury timebomb.

I never said anything about Willis over Peavy. If anything, they are just about equal. If you have not done so yet, look up their career stats. To say that Peavy is a top 15 pitcher but Willis doesn' sniff top 25 in a keeper league is ridiculous. I don't see it any other way. Please explain this to me as you guys seem like you know what you are talking about.
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:03 pm

warrick95 wrote:
HOOTIE wrote:

Peavy 30

Arod
Pujols
Vlad
Soriano
DLee
AJones
Pedro
Manny
Ortiz
Sheffield
Oswalt
Halladay
Prior
Zambrano
Harden
King Felix
Tex
Cabrera
Santana
Crawford
Wright
Abreu
Bay
Hafner
MYoung
Tejada
ARam
Carpenter
Delgado

Lee AND Jones in the top-10? Seriously?

I just listed 25 guys off the top of my head i would take over Willis. There isn't a order to the list.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:20 pm

Yoda wrote:LOL you sneak Carpenter in there and omit Willis. Classic. This is a useless debate.

You like Willis alot, i like him some. A top 25 is subjective, no one will have the exact 25.

Last 2 years whip

Willis 1.38 1.13
Carpenter 1.14 1.06

Carpenter this year had the single greatest streak of 3 earned or less in about 80 years.

I like Carpenter more, it was no sneak in.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers