Who will the A's sign? Bat... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Oakland A's

Who will the A's sign? Bat...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:30 am

Any news HM? Any rumours floating around where you are? There was an article on mlb.com's A's page you can check out written by their beat reporter, has a little bit in it but not a great deal. Nothing more than we have speculated. I think the offense is very good when healthy. But the biggest thing is that a big bat makes us a contender with a very good shot, and also covers the offense if someone like Kotsay or Crosby does actually go down.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:23 pm

I've heard some rumors about Zito to the Dodgers. The details have not really been firm, just speculation mostly, but it would be a pretty good fit. The Dodger's have a loaded farm system and are looking to prove themselves to the fans and everyone else by getting a big name and such. There's a decent chance we could really fleece them.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:03 am

I'm willing to bet Beane would really clean up dealing with the new GM too. :-)
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:40 am

Hmmm interesting rumour! I wonder who they have in the way of prospects.....

Personally I'd much rather see Zito traded for a bat, but maybe that just isn't pheasible.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:50 pm

Is Reggie Sanders out of reach? Banged up 37 year old....would be nice to only play DH.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:47 am

Who would we give for him though? What are the Cards looking for?
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:06 am

Half Massed wrote:Who would we give for him though? What are the Cards looking for?

He's a free agent! :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:01 pm

RynMan wrote:
Half Massed wrote:Who would we give for him though? What are the Cards looking for?

He's a free agent! :-D

Oh, right. I knew that... :-X
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:23 am

HM, I think a guy like Kevin Mueller or Kevin Millar would be good value signings. Both are 34 years old, right handed (Millar switch) with .360 or higher OBPs. Mueller can play 3rd, 2nd, 1st and DH. Millar can play 1st, OF, DH. So if you sign one of those guys there is some roster flexibility. If you have one of them as a full time DH, I'd expect them to possibly put up close to 20HR's given that they have time to study tapes between at bats etc. But the biggest selling point for either guy is that you can probably have them cheap. Other teams may stray away because of age, but these 2 guys seem to me to be the types of players Oakland pick up. It's no Willy Mo but I think that they could be servicable.

All in all, realistically I don't think they will sign anyone. This lineup looks very good to me when healthy:

Kotsay
Ellis
Crosby
Chavez
Johnson
Kendall
Payton
Swisher
<<WHO?>>
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:26 am

We would be able to keep Zito should we go for a value guy like one of those. It'll depend on how close Beane thinks we are. If it's just a flexible veteran away, then Zito will stay, but if he feels we really need a big righty bat, Zito may go. If he does go, I expect Beane will craft one of his trademark "some for now some for later" trades. You know, a guy who can help now and some prospects for later. That lineup doesn't look too bad, but imagine slotting a guy like Pena third in that lineup and moving Crosby to 5th, or vice versa. That would really round out our team well.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Oakland A's