Who will the A's sign? Bat... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Oakland A's

Who will the A's sign? Bat...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:02 am

Oh my bad! I thought the guy was right handed. Yeah, you are right....scratch that.

I don't know much about those prospects but I'm assuming that they are pretty highly regarded. Heilman seems solid, Milledge is highly touted, but don't know about Petit - who is he?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:56 am

Half Massed wrote:I just heard a rumor that would send Zito to the Mets.

Him for, get this, these guys: Heilman, Petit, and Milledge. All three! We'd basically clean out the best of the Met's farm system for Zito. I'd take that trade personally.

Holy crap. 8-o Don't let Amazinz or the other Met regulars see that one, I think they'd die. Anyway, good to see the Mets have competent leadership and won't be consdering any other Kazmir-like deals. ;-D

I think it pretty much goes without saying that if Beane can pull that one off, he really is God ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:57 pm

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:
Half Massed wrote:I just heard a rumor that would send Zito to the Mets.

Him for, get this, these guys: Heilman, Petit, and Milledge. All three! We'd basically clean out the best of the Met's farm system for Zito. I'd take that trade personally.

Holy crap. 8-o Don't let Amazinz or the other Met regulars see that one, I think they'd die. Anyway, good to see the Mets have competent leadership and won't be consdering any other Kazmir-like deals. ;-D

I think it pretty much goes without saying that if Beane can pull that one off, he really is God ;-D

Agreed. Ryn, Petit is a top pitching prospect in the Met's farm system. He was one of Baseball America's top 100 prospects. According to Baseball Prospectus's system, he's most comparable to Jake Peavy in 2002, along with Edwin Jackson and Scott Kazmir in '04. His stuff, a rough measure of his overall dominance, was around 30 last year, where 10 is the league average. I don't have his stats for this year, but he's definitely a good prospect.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:50 pm

So is there any real substance to that rumour HM? The Mets have a pretty full rotation as it is right? They might be happy with their rotation....
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Half Massed » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:53 pm

RynMan wrote:So is there any real substance to that rumour HM? The Mets have a pretty full rotation as it is right? They might be happy with their rotation....

As far as I know now, it's just a rumor, but there may be some talking behind it? I can't say for certain, I'd have to check.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:58 pm

Yes, I am obsessed with Willy Mo ending up in an A's jersey, as long as we don't have to overpay for him. So I checked out the Red's mlb.com homepage and the beat writer had this to say:

"As for the question about a trade involving one of the outfielders, it looks as though general manager Dan O'Brien had some preliminary discussions with other GMs at the World Series, and the groundwork for a deal could be in place.

O'Brien will be at the GM meetings in Palm Springs, Calif., next week, though I wouldn't necessarily expect anything to be consummated at that time. It's much more likely the club will take action sometime around the Winter Meetings in Dallas in early December.

I'm feeling pretty certain that a deal will go down before Spring Training, and I'm still putting my money on Wily Mo Pena to be the guy to go."

Later on in the article he goes on to talk about how the Reds can't afford any of the starters on the market and will probably trade for one using an outfielder or one of their catchers.
:-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:12 am

Looks like everything is in place to bring him in as long as we can agree on something. It makes sense that Beane would got after him.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:27 am

Half Massed wrote:Looks like everything is in place to bring him in as long as we can agree on something. It makes sense that Beane would got after him.

Makes you wonder if he has any thoughts about it at all, or whether he is not looking at that direction at all. :-b
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RynMan » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:36 pm

I see that the Sox bought out Thomas' option....you think we have a shot? Do you think Billy would even consider it with the injury risks that come attached? A one or two year deal for him to act as a stop gap might be possible. Big right handed bat to have in the lineup if he were healthy....and we happen to have DH spare!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:46 pm

I doubt Thomas is the way Beane will go, unless he doesn't see a trade working out. We're always focused on getting affordable young guys for the future, so unless Beane thinks we have a strong chance of winning it all this year, he won't bother with Thomas.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Oakland A's