Who will the A's sign? Bat... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Oakland A's

Who will the A's sign? Bat...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:51 am

HM: I've got one guy that fits the bill.

Craig Wilson.

Apparently all the press that the Pirates have been releasing regarding the upcoming season is focusing on their young players, new manager etc but make no mention of Wilson - as if he isn't part of their plans. On top of that he was injured this year, which makes him a pretty good buy low candidate, and a guy undervalued. Take a look:

- good power
- never had an OBP under .354 all the years in the bigs...
- can play 1B/DH/OF and even catch if need be.

Seems to me like a good fit HM....what do you think? Surely he could be had for a few young spare parts depending on what the Pirates' plans are. :-?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:40 pm

Wilson is an intriguing option. We don't have too many aging veterans either, that's just not our MO in general, however he would be a decent fit. My worry is his low BA over the years plus these recent injuries. I'd be willing to take a stab at him if we can get him without giving up too much. Kendall doesn't need backing up, and Johnson is fine at 1B, but he would be a solid DH that could be had for cheaper.

I feel however, and this is assuming we have some money to throw around like I've been lead to believe, that going after someone with a bigger name or bigger potential would be the best idea. We need someone who will draw recognition to the team as well as play well. In some ways, I feel a big name guy would be the most helpful overall.

On the other hand, with further maturation of our youngsters, we are almost there in terms of a playoff team, and Wilson would probably be able to provide a boost in that direction. If we could land a star-type or even a potential-filled youngster like Pena though, I think that'd seal it for us. Not too shoot down Wilson in anyway, I think he'd be a decent enough fit that could be had for little. I think it would almost be a let down to the fans if the A's had a quiet offseason as many are expecting a reassuring something to happen. That's really my concern. Not the ability of Wilson, as much as the happiness of the fans.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby RynMan » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:13 pm

Totally agreed! ;-D I'll be watching the A's offseason moves very closely. If you ever hear anything, even a rumour, post it in here!! :-D
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby RynMan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:03 am

Thought I'd kick off my campaign for the offseason with a new sig and avatar HM.....what do you think? He looks pretty good in green, white and gold. ;-)
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Oct 30, 2005 12:04 pm

RynMan wrote:Thought I'd kick off my campaign for the offseason with a new sig and avatar HM.....what do you think? He looks pretty good in green, white and gold. ;-)

It took me a second to figure out who the av was, then I saw the sig. :-D ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 30, 2005 2:06 pm

RynMan wrote:Thought I'd kick off my campaign for the offseason with a new sig and avatar HM.....what do you think? He looks pretty good in green, white and gold. ;-)

Heh, that's great. It totally works too. Nice job. ;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RynMan » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:05 pm

How about Chad Tracy of the D-backs? He had a great year in 2005, plus the guy can play 1B, 3B, OF, and DH.....AND I think he could be had relatively cheap. Nice fit?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:08 am

RynMan wrote:How about Chad Tracy of the D-backs? He had a great year in 2005, plus the guy can play 1B, 3B, OF, and DH.....AND I think he could be had relatively cheap. Nice fit?

He'd be ok, developing power, 25 years old, all that, but he bats lefty. So there goes that.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:12 am

Tracy batted .324 against righties, but only .236 against lefties, and we don't need another guy with good but not spectacular power who can't hit lefties well. A righty version of him would be sweet though.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:14 am

I just heard a rumor that would send Zito to the Mets.

Him for, get this, these guys: Heilman, Petit, and Milledge. All three! We'd basically clean out the best of the Met's farm system for Zito. I'd take that trade personally.
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Oakland A's