Who will the A's sign? Bat... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Oakland A's

Who will the A's sign? Bat...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will the A's sign? Bat...

Postby RynMan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:08 am

Thought I'd start a new thread on it. I don't see them picking up the 4 Million option on Payton.

Brian Giles would be a great fit....if he were right handed. Plus I couldn't see the A's outbidding everyone else for him.

Other than that I don't see anyone else the A's could sign. Maybe a trade involving Zito could be on the cards after all.....
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Half Massed » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:42 pm

I highly doubt we trade Zito, unless it's a last resort. I keep hearing talk about it, but I just don't think we do it. As for the bat, I'm not sure. Konerko might be nice, but there's no way we afford him. I don't see us trading for a slugger with a big, long contract, even if the other team takes up a good deal of it and we have the money. That's just not how the A's work. Most likely, we're going to find a cheap option with moderate power-not one of the flashy studs.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby Half Massed » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:46 am

Hmm well, I just read the A's picked up Payton's option... I don't know what this means for a future big bat acquisition, other than that it's coming in a trade. Perhaps Payton will be traded after being signed?
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:51 pm

I heard that the other day during the game and I couldn't believe it. 8-o I'd assume if he was doing a sign-and-trade type deal he's got several teams already lined up because picking up his option really didn't make much sense. :-?
Image
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker
Posts: 6480
Joined: 6 May 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Swiping second

Postby RynMan » Wed Oct 19, 2005 11:45 pm

Yep, I was totally surprised also. Maybe its a way of saying thank you for the 2nd half of hotness - although they should of probably just cut their losses. I hope that they aren't just depending on Payton to provide the offense they need....

I could still see Zito going.... :-/
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Half Massed » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:02 am

RynMan wrote:Yep, I was totally surprised also. Maybe its a way of saying thank you for the 2nd half of hotness - although they should of probably just cut their losses. I hope that they aren't just depending on Payton to provide the offense they need....

I could still see Zito going.... :-/


Maybe (hopefully) they know something we don't about Payton or what they could get for him. I have a sinking feeling that they don't think the outlook is good for getting a righty slugger that plays 1B, DH or a corner OF spot. I don't think management wants to trade Zito, I don't think we should personally, unless it's the only option, and there doesn't seem to be a favorable trade out there. That's just speculation on my part, I have no clue what's going. For now, I'll trust Beane, he does have a good track record. ;-)
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:33 am

Half Massed wrote:
RynMan wrote:Yep, I was totally surprised also. Maybe its a way of saying thank you for the 2nd half of hotness - although they should of probably just cut their losses. I hope that they aren't just depending on Payton to provide the offense they need....

I could still see Zito going.... :-/


Maybe (hopefully) they know something we don't about Payton or what they could get for him. I have a sinking feeling that they don't think the outlook is good for getting a righty slugger that plays 1B, DH or a corner OF spot. I don't think management wants to trade Zito, I don't think we should personally, unless it's the only option, and there doesn't seem to be a favorable trade out there. That's just speculation on my part, I have no clue what's going. For now, I'll trust Beane, he does have a good track record. ;-)


Yeah, you are right....the outlook isn't good for a bat. Zito's trade stock is now at it's highest so it wouldn't be a bad idea shopping him, although like you said...there isn't much around and I wouldnt settle for anything less than great value. Zito for Willy Mo???? :-D That's really the only guy I could think of they might try and trade for....
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Half Massed » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:48 am

RynMan wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
RynMan wrote:Yep, I was totally surprised also. Maybe its a way of saying thank you for the 2nd half of hotness - although they should of probably just cut their losses. I hope that they aren't just depending on Payton to provide the offense they need....

I could still see Zito going.... :-/


Maybe (hopefully) they know something we don't about Payton or what they could get for him. I have a sinking feeling that they don't think the outlook is good for getting a righty slugger that plays 1B, DH or a corner OF spot. I don't think management wants to trade Zito, I don't think we should personally, unless it's the only option, and there doesn't seem to be a favorable trade out there. That's just speculation on my part, I have no clue what's going. For now, I'll trust Beane, he does have a good track record. ;-)


Yeah, you are right....the outlook isn't good for a bat. Zito's trade stock is now at it's highest so it wouldn't be a bad idea shopping him, although like you said...there isn't much around and I wouldnt settle for anything less than great value. Zito for Willy Mo???? :-D That's really the only guy I could think of they might try and trade for....


Hmm, the Reds would be a feasible team to try to work a trade with. They do have OF sluggers in abundance and need pitching. Maybe you're on to something, at least with the team. Perhaps the D-Rays new management would be interested in working a similar trade when they get settled. A young, but experienced staff leader like Zito would be perfect for them, and they also have some good OF bats. Zito for Young! Man, I wish Beane was that much of a god... 8-o
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby RynMan » Thu Oct 20, 2005 2:00 am

Half Massed wrote:Hmm, the Reds would be a feasible team to try to work a trade with. They do have OF sluggers in abundance and need pitching. Maybe you're on to something, at least with the team. Perhaps the D-Rays new management would be interested in working a similar trade when they get settled. A young, but experienced staff leader like Zito would be perfect for them, and they also have some good OF bats. Zito for Young! Man, I wish Beane was that much of a god... 8-o


Yeah absolutely. The reason Pena comes to mind:
- big time power
- right handed
- still has about 3 or 4 years until he will get too expensive to hold onto
- the Reds have alot of OF and need pitching
- they could probably sign Zito long-term.

The D-Rays may be a fit, but I doubt they will sign him long term. The only real reason a team will want Zito for one year would be if they intend on extending his contract. Maybe I should give Billy a call and give him the heads up on Pena! :-D
Image
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 8891
Joined: 4 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Oztailia

Postby Half Massed » Mon Oct 24, 2005 2:48 am

RynMan wrote:
Half Massed wrote:Hmm, the Reds would be a feasible team to try to work a trade with. They do have OF sluggers in abundance and need pitching. Maybe you're on to something, at least with the team. Perhaps the D-Rays new management would be interested in working a similar trade when they get settled. A young, but experienced staff leader like Zito would be perfect for them, and they also have some good OF bats. Zito for Young! Man, I wish Beane was that much of a god... 8-o


Yeah absolutely. The reason Pena comes to mind:
- big time power
- right handed
- still has about 3 or 4 years until he will get too expensive to hold onto
- the Reds have alot of OF and need pitching
- they could probably sign Zito long-term.

The D-Rays may be a fit, but I doubt they will sign him long term. The only real reason a team will want Zito for one year would be if they intend on extending his contract. Maybe I should give Billy a call and give him the heads up on Pena! :-D


He does seem to work from all angles. We would be looking for a young cheaper power guy we could hold onto for a few years and Pena fits that. The fact that the A's are always looking to the future (positively, not in a rebuilding way) rules out us doing some kind of three way trade in which we end up with an expensive or aging slugger, even if we don't pay for much of his contract. That's why we won't sign Konerko, or somehow orchestrate a trade for Manny (how ridiculous would that be?), etc.

Most likely, an up-and-coming young slugger is brought in from another team for some pitching, quite possibly Zito, from us. What other young righty power hitters/prospects are out there on pitching weak teams? I can't think of too many other good fits that keep in mind the teams needs and plans. For example, Howard from the Phils would be nice, but with Thome on the way out soon, I don't see that happening in anyway.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Next

Return to Oakland A's

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Sep. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Dodgers at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
Boston at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Chi White Sox at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at Atlanta
(7:35 pm)
Cleveland at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Detroit at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Seattle at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Arizona at Colorado
(8:10 pm)
Cincinnati at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
Philadelphia at Oakland
(9:35 pm)
Texas at LA Angels
(10:05 pm)
San Francisco at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact