MLB Chopping block - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Chopping block

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby warrick95 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:25 pm

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Lou.

I've always thought that Tracy was a fairly decent manager. Oh well. Look at what he had to work with at the end of the year. That team may have been worse offensively than the Royals, who at least had Mike Sweeney.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:28 pm

warrick95 wrote:Don't let the door hit you on the way out, Lou.

I've always thought that Tracy was a fairly decent manager. Oh well. Look at what he had to work with at the end of the year. That team may have been worse offensively than the Royals, who at least had Mike Sweeney.

Totally agree. I hardly think it was Tracy's fault, however I don;t follow the Dodgers all that closely.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby wrveres » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:08 pm

Chuck LaMar
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 758)

Postby Fool42 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:55 pm

Tracy wasn't completely to blame but he did make a lot of bad decisions during games. Depo and McCourt want a puppet to manage their way. Now if only they would put a major league caliber team out there it would prob make a difference.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:38 pm

What did Pinella do wrong? What can he do with that garbage the upper management put out there?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby warrick95 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:44 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:

What did Pinella do wrong? What can he do with that garbage the upper management put out there?

Refusal to play young talent that was on the roster, instead actually trying to win games. Examples...Joey Gathright, Jonny Gomes was almost put in the same situation before he started to perform.

He was a horrific fit for our team. What we needed was a developmental manager who didn't give an f about winning, but about giving young talent a chance to play. Well, Lou certainly didn't do that. He was insistent on playing the best current talent, although many of those players basically have no future on our team. I mean, he was playing guys like Damon Hollins instead of giving the youngsters chances. It was inexcusable.

Naimoli was probably the biggest problem, but Lou was certainly next before Chuck LaMar, who's actually pretty decent. Last year, too, Lou refused to let BJ get reps at the end of the year because his D was bad. HELLO?! Is the team going anywhere? No. So let the kid get playing time.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:18 pm

Yoda wrote: Plus he is absolutely awful at handling young arms. :-t

really?

Like who?
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:23 pm

warrick95 wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:

Refusal to play young talent that was on the roster, instead actually trying to win games. Examples...Joey Gathright, Jonny Gomes was almost put in the same situation before he started to perform.

He was a horrific fit for our team. What we needed was a developmental manager who didn't give an f about winning, but about giving young talent a chance to play. Well, Lou certainly didn't do that. He was insistent on playing the best current talent, although many of those players basically have no future on our team. I mean, he was playing guys like Damon Hollins instead of giving the youngsters chances. It was inexcusable.

Naimoli was probably the biggest problem, but Lou was certainly next before Chuck LaMar, who's actually pretty decent. Last year, too, Lou refused to let BJ get reps at the end of the year because his D was bad. HELLO?! Is the team going anywhere? No. So let the kid get playing time.

interesting ..

I was always under the impression that A, AA, and AAA was for developing young talent and that the MLB was about winning .. hmm. I understand the confines that the Devil Rays have to operate in, and having the Yankees and Sox in your division is always tuff, but they are going to be in your division every year. so its my guess that the Rays will always be "Developing Young talent" with no mind towards winning. Its a catch-22.

Maybe they should just contract them, make them a minor league team and let them play against AA talent. I mean nobody wants to win in AA right?
Rafael

wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nuggets » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:54 am

WR, why are you so convinced Stoney will take over in Chicago?
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:59 am

rotoworld wrote:Jim Tracy will be named the Pirates' manager today, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports.
The Pirates got rid of Lloyd McClendon to go with another manager who likes to play favorites. Still, Tracy should be an upgrade. He was an awful fit for Paul DePodesta's Dodgers, but it wasn't long ago that he was viewed as one of the NL's top managers. To get back to that point, he'll need to use his best players consistently and do a better job of handling the pen. That Tracy has displayed a willingness to go with young, inexperienced closers might make Mike Gonzalez an even better pickup in keeper-league trades. Oct. 11 - 4:18 am et

interesting choice here by the pirates ;-D ;-D
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers