Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB Chopping block

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:08 am

First to go:

Alan Trammell

Young says players are to blame for Trammell's firing

By Rob Parker / The Detroit News

Dog days

Who is most responsible for the Tigers’ disappointing performance this season?

The players
Manager Alan Trammell
General manager Dave Dombrowski

Get results and comments

Ilitch next move

Should Jim Leyland be the Tigers' next manager?

Yes
No

Get results and comments

Comment on this story
Send this story to a friend
Get Home Delivery

DETROIT -- Dmitri Young didn't jump for joy when he heard Monday that Alan Trammell has been fired as Tigers manager.

Some might have expected otherwise, especially since Young, the Tigers' designated hitter, seemed at times to be at odds with Trammell.

Though Young disputes that he and Trammell weren't on the same page, he never gave Trammell a ringing endorsement that he should be retained. That could have carried some weight since Young is one of the veteran players on the team.

Instead, Young blamed the players for Trammell's demise.

"As players, we didn't play up to the capabilities," Young said by phone from his home in Florida. "Unfortunately, Tram had to be Lee Majors -- 'The Fall Guy'."

Young said it was tough in the closing days of Trammell's tenure. The same fans who had loved and admired him as a player for 20 seasons in Detroit were screaming some of the meanest things at him.

"It was like he had become the town pariah," Young said. "To me, I thought that was very unfair.

"I understand their frustrations. But for a legend like this? He came back because he wanted to bring a championship back to this town."

Loss of faith

Some believed Young, too, gave up on Trammell, perhaps after Trammell had given up on Young. Young was asked about a rumor making the rounds in baseball. Before the trading deadline, Trammell supposedly called a meeting with his coaches and took a vote on whether or not to trade Young. All but bench coach Bruce Fields supposedly agreed to such a trade.

"I never heard anything about it," Young said.

When asked if he was surprised by that scenario, Young said: "Yes and no -- due to the fact that I wasn't hitting up to my capabilities. Sometimes, you know, they lose faith in you."

Trammell, who did not attend the news conference during which his dismissal was announced, couldn't be reached for comment.

Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:10 am

Next: Jim Tracy

"Philosophical Differences" End Jim Tracy's Run

October 4, 2005 9:31 a.m. EST

Christina Ficara - All Headline News Staff Reporter

Los Angeles, CA (AHN) - Citing "philosophical differences," Los Angeles Dodgers' general manager, Paul DePodesta, and manager, Jim Tracy, agree to end Tracy's five-year tenure in the dug-out.

Tracy, 49, in the second year of his two-year agreement, was denied a contract extension, subsequently deciding he didn't want to be in the Dodgers' dugout next year as a "lame duck" manager.

In a conference call, Tracy tells The Associated Press, "No, I was not fired."

In the same call, DePodesta says, "At the end of the day, I think everybody needs to be on the same page to move forward. We decided we needed to make a change and Jim decided to move on as well."

The Dodgers were Tracy's first managing job in the big leagues. Before signing-on in 2000, he spent seven years managing in the minors for the Chicago Cubs, Cincinnati and Montreal. He also played two seasons in the majors with the Cubs.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 268)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:25 am

Don't forget about McKeon.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:28 am

dont forget about piniella either,,,as he did leave the drays with the buyout last week.....

Lou Piniella finally is free of the Devil Rays, but here's betting that he doesn't jump at any of the anticipated managerial openings unless a bigger prize develops.

Piniella's choices eventually could improve: Even if Joe Torre completes the final two seasons of his Yankees contract, Dusty Baker eventually could leave the Cubs and Terry Francona might not be long for the Red Sox. None of the expected openings will be as attractive. ...
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:51 am

Sweet Lou

Jack McKeon
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:05 pm

Crap. I was hoping Dusty was in this thread.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:09 pm

A whichmanager is on the chopping block thread and no mention of this guy

EDIT- nevermind, chad brought him up, smart man!
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:26 pm

Dusty is not going anywhere, sadly.
No stresses though, as I am sure its only temporary. Steve Stone should have the job by this time 2006, and the Cubs can return to a perrenial last place team for the next 5 decades .. .. again.

No big deal right guys? You are all used to it. Losing is easy for the Cubs fans to handle, .. winning, not so much

oh yeah, also getting the axe.
Texas Rangers ..
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:35 pm

wrveres wrote:Dusty is not going anywhere, sadly.
No stresses though, as I am sure its only temporary. Steve Stone should have the job by this time 2006, and the Cubs can return to a perrenial last place team for the next 5 decades .. .. again.

No big deal right guys? You are all used to it. Losing is easy for the Cubs fans to handle, .. winning, not so much

oh yeah, also getting the axe.
Texas Rangers ..

I know, because Dusty has really led us to the playoffs all those years, right? And that awesome record this year! I don't even know why he isn't perennial manager of the year! Probably racism...
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:43 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:I know, because Dusty has really led us to the playoffs all those years, right? And that awesome record this year! I don't even know why he isn't perennial manager of the year! Probably racism...

interesting you bring that up, There sure has been alot written about that this year. I guess that is going to happen when the fans take the time to sit down and write race hate mail. :-)

Personally, I hope Dusty get the Cubs a pennant next season, and then walks away with his middle finger flipped up over his shoulder, ala SF. It would be sweet justice for the way the Cubs fans have treated him.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers