Playoff Predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playoff Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:12 pm

jzfran wrote:WS
Cards over Sox/Yanks in 6-Both AL teams are in my opinion weaker than they were last year. The Cards are hot, with good pitching and a sick offense.


I really think NY is much better equiped for the postseason this year than last year. They couldn't pitch at all last year, but now Randy Johnson is the difference maker. He's the stopper they lacked last season. The bullpen is the same, and A-Rod is having a much better season, Giambi is back and they added Cano. Giambi's resurgence makes that offense a lot better than last year's. Pitching is always the key in the playoffs and the Yanks have a lot more of it this season than they did last year; no Brown; no Vazquez. Chacon's pitching great and they have Small just in case or even for the 6th/7th.

Of course with Boston its the opposite now without Pedro, a great Schilling, Foulke and Embree pitching well, so I have no disagreements with that assessment.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:16 pm

What about that Yankee bullpen though? The only pitcher that I personally would rely on is Mariano. Gordon has been anything but dominant against the Sox. Of course, the Sox have pitching woes of their own. But what big game has Chacon, Small or Wang pitched in their careers? Wang showed against the Sox on Friday how experience plays a role in all of this. He was all over the place with his pitches. Both teams have a depth problem in pitching.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:20 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:What about that Yankee bullpen though? The only pitcher that I personally would rely on is Mariano. Gordon has been anything but dominant against the Sox. Of course, the Sox have pitching woes of their own. But what big game has Chacon, Small or Wang pitched in their careers? Wang showed against the Sox on Friday how experience plays a role in all of this. He was all over the place with his pitches. Both teams have a depth problem in pitching.


Blank never said the Yankees were invincible, he said they are better equipped for the playoffs than they were last year, a statement which I agree with. Their bullpen was just as bad last year, probably worse when you factor in that Rivera is in the midst of his best season ever. The Yankees have a better offense and better starting pitching than they did last year. I think that's fairly obvious.

That's not to say they aren't extremely beatable though. They can easily lose in the first round to a dangerous Angel roster.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daullaz » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:29 pm

Let's see how close I can get...

NLDS
Atlanta over Houston in 5
St. Louis over San Diego in 4

ALDS
Los Angeles over New York in 4
Chicago over Boston in 5

NLCS
St. Louis over Atlanta in 5
Los Angeles over Chicago in 6

World Series
St. Louis over Los Angeles in 6
Image
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

User avatar
EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4884
(Past Year: 56)
Joined: 17 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Babel

Postby free » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:44 pm

RocketsDWM wrote:
free wrote:
JTWood wrote:I'm not going to make all the predictions. I'll just say that Pujols, Reggie, and Larry are all hot, hot, hot hitting the playoffs. The part that scares me the most right now is Matt Morris. He's going to pitch third, and he shouldn't. Suppan should pitch 3rd.

I think the Cards and Astros play to go the Series.

Also, I think the Yanks and Red Sox have way too many holes in their teams for both of them to win their series. One of them will go down, and without a prolonged offensive burst, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them miss out on the Series.



seconded, plus we have matty mo :-°


Morris in the second half ;-D Werent u supposed to have good pitching in the world series last yr?



i was being sarcastic ;-D and know we never said we had good pitching going into the series last year. i believe woody started and carp was out. this year carp is healthy and we have added mulder. i believe that is just a tad better ;-)
Image
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 841
Joined: 13 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: charleston, wv

Postby brandnew » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:44 pm

Pitching doesn't win championships... otherwise the Braves should havve about 5 or 6. Lights out pitching is great, but you need to score runs, and I don't see the Astros scoring much with that pitiful, pitiful lineup against Smoltz/Hudson 4/5 games.

The Braves are being underrated soooooooo much... and someone said the Braves' closer situation is bad? Huh? Farns!

Anyways,

Cards over Pads in 4

Braves over Astros in 4



Angels over Yanks in 5

Red Sox over other Sox in 5




Braves over Cards in 7

Angels over Red Sox in 7



Braves over Angels in 6.



This is the year. BELIEVE!
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Postby blankman » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:33 am

BronXBombers51 wrote:
RocketsDWM wrote:What about that Yankee bullpen though? The only pitcher that I personally would rely on is Mariano. Gordon has been anything but dominant against the Sox. Of course, the Sox have pitching woes of their own. But what big game has Chacon, Small or Wang pitched in their careers? Wang showed against the Sox on Friday how experience plays a role in all of this. He was all over the place with his pitches. Both teams have a depth problem in pitching.


Blank never said the Yankees were invincible, he said they are better equipped for the playoffs than they were last year, a statement which I agree with. Their bullpen was just as bad last year, probably worse when you factor in that Rivera is in the midst of his best season ever. The Yankees have a better offense and better starting pitching than they did last year. I think that's fairly obvious.

That's not to say they aren't extremely beatable though. They can easily lose in the first round to a dangerous Angel roster.


Right. It should be blatantly obvious that the Yankees are much better off this year in the playoffs than last season.

The statement was in sole response to someone's assertion that the Yankees are worse than last year, which for the playoffs is simply not true.

I never said they couldn't be beaten; in fact I've said Anahiem will be a very tough series.

If you want to talk about bullpen, its really the same as it was last season, with Mo and Gordon as the only two guys you want to ever have the ball. The difference this season is the STARTING pitching and improvement of the offense with Giambi and Cano.

They get to throw Randy Johnson now and Brown and Vazquez won't ever see the mound and their other pitchers have actually pitched well over the year. That makes a world of difference. That much I hope you can understand Rockets.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Posts: 10770
Joined: 6 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:41 am

blankman wrote:
jzfran wrote:WS
Cards over Sox/Yanks in 6-Both AL teams are in my opinion weaker than they were last year. The Cards are hot, with good pitching and a sick offense.


I really think NY is much better equiped for the postseason this year than last year. They couldn't pitch at all last year, but now Randy Johnson is the difference maker. He's the stopper they lacked last season. The bullpen is the same, and A-Rod is having a much better season, Giambi is back and they added Cano. Giambi's resurgence makes that offense a lot better than last year's. Pitching is always the key in the playoffs and the Yanks have a lot more of it this season than they did last year; no Brown; no Vazquez. Chacon's pitching great and they have Small just in case or even for the 6th/7th.

Of course with Boston its the opposite now without Pedro, a great Schilling, Foulke and Embree pitching well, so I have no disagreements with that assessment.


Just stating that both bullpens and starting rotations, in my opinion, are not reliable.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RocketsDWM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:45 am

The offense I dont question. Regardless of Giambi or Cano, the Yanks have a dominant offense.

Starting pitching, to me, is still a question for them as it is for the Sox. Chacon, Wang and Small all have no experience in the post season. Mussina on the other hand is coming off a terrible start in Baltimore. Which Mussina will show up tomorrow? RJ has to carry this staff and the same goes for Schilling.
Image
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar

Posts: 5243
(Past Year: 55)
Joined: 9 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BronXBombers51 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:09 am

RocketsDWM wrote:The offense I dont question. Regardless of Giambi or Cano, the Yanks have a dominant offense.

Starting pitching, to me, is still a question for them as it is for the Sox. Chacon, Wang and Small all have no experience in the post season. Mussina on the other hand is coming off a terrible start in Baltimore. Which Mussina will show up tomorrow? RJ has to carry this staff and the same goes for Schilling.


Nobody is saying that it isn't a question. It certainly is. It is, however, better than last year. Javier Vazquez and Kevin Brown were terrible all season, not just in the playoffs. There was no Randy Johnson. Chacon, Small and Wang may not have any postseason experience, but they cannot do any worse than Vazuqez/Brown did last year. You can't say that it's a downgrade.

The Yankees have a much more playoff-friendly roster this year as opposed to last year.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: buiviopaufamp and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Sep. 2
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Cincinnati at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Detroit at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Boston at NY Yankees
(7:05 pm)
Philadelphia at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
NY Mets at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Milwaukee at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Minnesota
(8:10 pm)
Texas at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
LA Angels at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at St. Louis
(8:15 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(8:40 pm)
Seattle at Oakland
(10:05 pm)
Washington at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
Arizona at San Diego
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact