Playoff Predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playoff Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:29 pm

blankman wrote:We all know that pitching wins championships and when you look at the Astros, they have just that. I really think they are the most dangerous team in this whole thing.

They seem to be the favorite darkhorse pick for everyone. It will come down to how many runs their offense can score I think. Their pitching will be great especially in a short series but...

I like how they put Bagwell on the playoff roster. I think he can make a difference in a pinch hit situation.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pmacxx2 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:30 pm

AL:

Yankees vs. Angels:
- I think the starting pitching is a major X-factor in this series. The Yankees are handicapped by not having the Big Unit available until at least game 3. Also, Torre making a questionable decision in bumping up Mussina to start game 1. LA's got Colon lined up for two-starts in a short series. I'm not wild about Lackey or Washburn, but i feel LA can come up with one win from a starter other than Colon and hold on with their bullpen in a late-inning afair.
- Angels in 5

Red Sox vs. White Sox:
- The White Sox have a decided edge in pitching, contrarily the Red Sox have a large edge offensively. The White Sox are an inconsistent offensive team who got by on pitching and defense all year. The Red Sox are a consistent offensive team, with questions abound about any of their pitching and all of their defense. I'll say Boston's offense is more likely to slump, than Chicago's pitching (a far, far superior bullpen than the Red Sox) and defense.
- White Sox in 4

NL:

St. Louis vs. San Diego:
- St. Louis is the most complete team in either league. Jake Peavy alone will not win this series for San Diego. St. Louis' lineup will simply overpower San Diego's non-Peavy starters. The last time San Diego played good ball was May. What would make anyone believe their going to start now?
- St. Louis in 3

Atlanta vs. Houston:
- The chic pick has been the Astro's for the World Series, but has anyone considered their scarcity of offense? Atlanta has great balance in their lineup, with two good table-setters at the top in Furcal and Giles. Houston's starters are strong, but that advantage is not extreme when compared to the Braves. A healthy Smoltz and tested-Hudson will show up. The larger questions lie in the Braves' bullpen. Farnsworth or Lidge?
- Houston in 5

I'll wait till the next round for further prognosticating.
Stretch! Stretch!
pmacxx2
College Coach
College Coach

Postby WharfRat » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:31 pm

Hmmm.....

AL

Yanks in 5
Bosox in 5

Yanks top Boston in another epic 7-game ALCS, with Felix Escalona playing the roll of "Bucky Boone." The final game goes to 23 innings, with every pitcher and bench player utilized. John Sterling will lose his voice, and Red Sox Nation and the Yankee Faithful will forever-after speak in whispered tones when daring to mention what will be remembered as the single most epic, titanic clash ever witnessed on a baseball diamond, a pair of beleaugered juggernauts slugging it out, leaving everything on the field.

At least, that's the way it should be. ;-7

NL

Astros in 4
Cards in 3

Cards in 7 - Houston's pitching is tremendous, but St. Louis won't need to score that many runs to win out. Clemens pitches three complete games, losing all three 1-0. :-D

World Series: Yanks over St. Louis in 6. ;-D

Having said all that....I would not be shocked at all if both the Yankees and Bosox are knocked out in the first round, particularly the Bosox. If that were to happen, I'd have to assume that Chicago's pitching is performing, and pick them over Anaheim to go. If that happens, I would take the victor of the Cards/Astros series, which is another tough one. Does Houston score enough to support their three aces? Do all three aces perform? If the Yankees don't take it, then the champ will come from the NL, I think.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:42 pm

ALDS
Red Sox over Chicago in 4
Angels over Yanks in 5

ALCS
Angels over Red Sox in 6

NLDS
Houston over Atlanta in 4
St. Louis over Padres in 4

NLCS
Houston over St. Louis in 6

World Series
Houston over Angels in 7

Bagwell has a pinch-hit 3R HR in the top of the 9th off KRod in Game 7 to give the 'Stros the lead, and Lidge nails it down.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby bleach168 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:35 pm

Stop pimping the Stros!!!

Stop jinxing us!!!! :-D
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby mocabeenow » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:37 pm

Red Sox over the Yanks

Cards over Braves

Red Sox beat the Cards Again!

Same story last year, not as dramatic!

Back to Back.

~Moc
mocabeenow
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 191)

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:15 pm

Seems like so many people are predicting the "darkhorse" Astros that they won't be the dark horse anymore. Sure, Houston is good, but great pitching won't carry that team past Atlanta and the Cardinals.

Cardinals win it in 6 over the Yanks.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:22 pm

ALDS

Boston over Chicago in 5. Chicagos wins only off of Buehrle and Garlans.

ALDS

New York over Anaheim in 4. Yankees wont pitch to Vlad, and will only lose to a CG by Colon

NLDS

St. Louis over San Diego in 3. San Diego has the worst record for a team making the playoffs (82-80)

NLDS

Atlanta over Houston in 5. The Rocket has been off lately, but it will take five to knock down the astros.

ALCS

Boston over New York in 7. The series has gone 7 the past two years, and I expect it to do it again. Schilling will magical as always in the post season. Oh yeah and they also have Manny and Ortiz

NLCS

St. Louis over Atlanta in 6. Carpenter Mulder Pujols...Good team

World Series

St. Louis over Boston in 6

Not feeling it for the Sox this late. Their brittle pitching is tired and wore out, St. Louis is just to good. All games will be close, but if the Red Sox cant fill that #5 slot protecting the bash brothers they red sox will not produce.

W.S. MVP - Pujols
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu
11.1: Jamie Lynn Sigler
BaseballFann0008
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby free » Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:36 pm

JTWood wrote:I'm not going to make all the predictions. I'll just say that Pujols, Reggie, and Larry are all hot, hot, hot hitting the playoffs. The part that scares me the most right now is Matt Morris. He's going to pitch third, and he shouldn't. Suppan should pitch 3rd.

I think the Cards and Astros play to go the Series.

Also, I think the Yanks and Red Sox have way too many holes in their teams for both of them to win their series. One of them will go down, and without a prolonged offensive burst, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them miss out on the Series.

seconded, plus we have matty mo :-°
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RocketsDWM » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:09 pm

free wrote:
JTWood wrote:I'm not going to make all the predictions. I'll just say that Pujols, Reggie, and Larry are all hot, hot, hot hitting the playoffs. The part that scares me the most right now is Matt Morris. He's going to pitch third, and he shouldn't. Suppan should pitch 3rd.

I think the Cards and Astros play to go the Series.

Also, I think the Yanks and Red Sox have way too many holes in their teams for both of them to win their series. One of them will go down, and without a prolonged offensive burst, I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them miss out on the Series.

seconded, plus we have matty mo :-°

Morris in the second half ;-D Werent u supposed to have good pitching in the world series last yr?
RocketsDWM
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 55)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers