Playoff Predictions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Playoff Predictions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Playoff Predictions

Postby baseball6791 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:59 pm

So... with the regular season pretty much wrapped up and the playoffs set, what are peoples playoff predictions? Here are mine:

DIVISION SERIES

AL
BoSox over ChiSox in 5 - The Red Sox just have too much experience for the White Sox to match, and once they get to Fenway the Sox should step it up big time. It will be a close series, but I don't think that the White Sox have the weapons to pull it out.

Yanks over Angels in 3 - The Yanks won't give Vlad a pitch the whole series and the Yanks will just overpower the Angels offensively. RJ will step up come pressure time and this Yankees will cruise.

NL
Cards over Padres in 4 - I think that Peavy will win a game for the Padres, and this series will be closer than people think but I believe that the Padres are vastly overmatched here. Carp, Mulder, and Morris will be a solid 5 game rotation and with Pujols in the lineup and healthy the Cards ought to win this series.

Astros over Braves in 4 - The Astros 5 game series rotation of Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt is just dirty. I think that the Braves lack the experience and the bullpen to go far in the playoffs. They should win at least one game but Houston's SP and Lidge on the back end is a great playoff setup.

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

AL
Yankees over Red Sox in 6 - The Red Sox just don't have the pitching - starting or bullpen - to pull it out, and the one team that they aren't better than offensively is the Yankees. I don't believe that Schilling will be able to duplicate in any way his past playoff success and the Sox bullpen is just not there. The Yanks will come away after an intense series.

NL
Cards over Astros in 7 - The best series of the playoffs pits divison foes against each other for a spot in the world series. The Astros pitching is great as I have said before, but the Cards isn't too shabby either. The Astros won't be able to survive on pitching alone when playing the Cards. Pujols and Co. will pull it off in a very close series.

WORLD SERIES
Cards over Yanks in 6 - Both teams will be playing with something to prove - the Yankees with a lot of personell on the fence, and the Cardinals not to lose the World Series 2 years in a row, but the Yankees won't have faced tough pitching pretty much all playoffs and they won't be able to just beat up on the Cards pitching like they could to the others. That means that someone in the rotation behind RJ (Chacon?Mussina?Small?Wang?) will have to step it up big time against a tough Cardinals team, and I just don't see that happening. Hence, the Cardinals win it.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Playoff Predictions

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:29 pm

baseball6791 wrote:So... with the regular season pretty much wrapped up and the playoffs set, what are peoples playoff predictions? Here are mine:

DIVISION SERIES

AL
BoSox over ChiSox in 5 - The Red Sox just have too much experience for the White Sox to match, and once they get to Fenway the Sox should step it up big time. It will be a close series, but I don't think that the White Sox have the weapons to pull it out.

Yanks over Angels in 3 - The Yanks won't give Vlad a pitch the whole series and the Yanks will just overpower the Angels offensively. RJ will step up come pressure time and this Yankees will cruise.

NL
Cards over Padres in 4 - I think that Peavy will win a game for the Padres, and this series will be closer than people think but I believe that the Padres are vastly overmatched here. Carp, Mulder, and Morris will be a solid 5 game rotation and with Pujols in the lineup and healthy the Cards ought to win this series.

Astros over Braves in 4 - The Astros 5 game series rotation of Clemens, Pettite, Oswalt is just dirty. I think that the Braves lack the experience and the bullpen to go far in the playoffs. They should win at least one game but Houston's SP and Lidge on the back end is a great playoff setup.

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

AL
Yankees over Red Sox in 6 - The Red Sox just don't have the pitching - starting or bullpen - to pull it out, and the one team that they aren't better than offensively is the Yankees. I don't believe that Schilling will be able to duplicate in any way his past playoff success and the Sox bullpen is just not there. The Yanks will come away after an intense series.

NL
Cards over Astros in 7 - The best series of the playoffs pits divison foes against each other for a spot in the world series. The Astros pitching is great as I have said before, but the Cards isn't too shabby either. The Astros won't be able to survive on pitching alone when playing the Cards. Pujols and Co. will pull it off in a very close series.

WORLD SERIES
Cards over Yanks in 6 - Both teams will be playing with something to prove - the Yankees with a lot of personell on the fence, and the Cardinals not to lose the World Series 2 years in a row, but the Yankees won't have faced tough pitching pretty much all playoffs and they won't be able to just beat up on the Cards pitching like they could to the others. That means that someone in the rotation behind RJ (Chacon?Mussina?Small?Wang?) will have to step it up big time against a tough Cardinals team, and I just don't see that happening. Hence, the Cardinals win it.

HAHAHAHAHAHA wow.

Go mets.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Playoff Predictions

Postby baseball6791 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:33 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
baseball6791 wrote:So... with the regular season pretty much wrapped up and the playoffs set, what are peoples playoff predictions? Here are mine:

DIVISION SERIES

AL

NL

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

AL

NL

WORLD SERIES

HAHAHAHAHAHA wow.

Go mets.

Wow... I completly missed that when I wrote it :*) :-b

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby dyuen87 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:45 pm

here are my predictions:
Yankees vs Angels: Yanks in 4. I can't see a sweep here because Vlad is just too good not to be able to win one game all by himself, but the Yankees are the hottest team in baseball, so they're my pick.
Red Sox vs White Sox: Red Sox in 4. there is no way the White Sox can match up against the Red Sox. not even with STRETCH YOU CANNNN... yeah. the red sox are gona be doing the stretching here. but i can see a white sox pitcher throwing a gem in the first two games.
Cards vs Padres: Cards in 4. Peavy MAY throw a gem, but come on a .500 team in the playoffs? come on. the mets have a better record right? im not looking.
Astros vs Braves: Astros in 5. The Braves are talented, but the Astros pitching staff is probably the best staff in the majors right now.

Yanks vs. Red Sox: Can you say destiny? These two teams are bound to meet again. However, things are different this year. This time the Red Sox have no pitching. The Yankees will wrap this up in 6. Should be exciting tho. :-D
Cards vs. Astros: wow. the ALCS and NLCS are the same again. i can see these two beating each other to death again. Cards in 7, tho i wouldnt be surprised to see the Astros win, with Pettite, Clemens, and Oswalt.

Yanks vs. Cards: YANKEEEEES ARE THE WORLD CHAMPIONS. honestly the cardinals dont scare me at all. not even Pujols. f the yankees get this far (wich i think they will) they would have faced Vlad, Ortiz, and Manny. i HIGHLY doubt Pujols will strike more fear than those three. yankees in 5.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:54 pm

I'm obviously going to be biased towards my Yankees, but I am not very confident in my predictions either...

DIVISION SERIES

American League:
Boston Red Sox def. Chicago White Sox; 4 games- The White Sox are probably the weakest playoff team in the American League. The Red Sox are too powerful to be bullied by pitchers like Contreras and Garland. The BoSox may not have an incredible staff or bullpen, but the White Sox hitting is subpar for a playoff team. The Red Sox will win this series in Fenway after 4 games.

New York Yankees def. Los Angeles Angels; 5 games- This is going to be one hell of a battle for the Yankees in my opinion. I think the Halos are probably the toughest team to face in a 5 game series. They have a true ace in Bartolo Colon backed up with a tremendous bullpen. Their offense isn't great, but Vlad and Garrett will get it done. I see them pushing the series to the brink, but their lack of starting pitching will wind up costing them against the tough Yankee offense in the end. Yankees win in a deciding 5th game.

National League:
St. Louis Cardinals def. San Diego Padres; 4 games- I agree that the Padres will win the first game Peavy pitches, and likely make this more of an interesting series than it should be, but the Cardinals are a juggernaut and have way too much talent to lose to a subpar playoff team in the Padres.

Houston Astros def. Atlanta Braves; 4 games- Atlanta's youngsters will play hard in this series, but Houston's tremendous pitching will be too much for them to handle. Houston stay home in Houston for game 4 and win, advancing to the NLCS for the second consecutive year.

CHAMPIONSHIP SERIES

American League:
New York Yankees def. Boston Red Sox; 6 games- For the third year in a row, I see a thriller between the two powers of the American League. This time, however, the Yankees will come out with a vengence and something to prove. They got embarassed by the BoSox last year, and they will put the nail in the coffin this time. The Yankees have better starting pitching and a better bullpen, and an equally potent offense. The Yankees will capture their 40th pennant in history at home in Yankee Stadium in Game 6.

National League:
Houston Astros def. St. Louis Cardinals; 7 games- In a rematch of the 2004 playoffs, the Houston Astros will upset the St. Louis Cardinals. The inconsistent pitching of St. Louis will catch up with them when they are matched up against the likes of Cy Young contenders Roger Clemens, Andy Pettitte and Roy Oswalt. The St. Louis offense, which is weaker than last year, will not be able to overcome the tremendous pitching this time. The Astros will win the 7th game and advance to the big show.

WORLD SERIES
New York Yankees over Houston Astros; 7 games- In a 7 game thriller that pits aces Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte against their former team, the New York Yankees, the Yankees will overcome and win for the 27th time in franchise history. The incredible Houston pitching will push this series to the brink of the 7th game, but 3 incredible pitching performances from Randy Johnson, coupled with the gritty Yankee lineup, will be enough to overcome the 'Stros.

;-D
Last edited by BronXBombers51 on Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby Yin_Xu88 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:58 pm

I really want to see Clemens beat either the RedSox or Yankees in game 7 of the WS.
Yin_Xu88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:09 pm

I'm not going to make predictions here, but I just want to throw out a few things that people may be overlooking:

1. The Braves have much better starting pitchers than they had last year. Smoltz is no Jaret Wright, and Tim Hudson is awfully dangerous too. They may have a mediocre bullpen outside of Farnsworth, but Houston isn't too intimidating outside of Lidge. Yes, they have a young lineup, but it managed to get them the 4th most runs in the NL in the regular season. All in all, I'd still give the edge to Houston because I think their starters are just that much more dominant (and Lidge is awesome), but I think it's closer than people may think.

2. Chicago may have an undisciplined lineup that can't be counted on to score, but they say that pitching and defense win championships, and the White Sox definitely have the edge there. Garcia, Buehrle, and Garland are very solid. Schilling will be tough - though I actually might fear Wells the most, just because he's been sharp lately and he's traditionally been a good big-game pitcher - but I give Chicago's starters a slight edge. But the big difference, in my mind, is the bullpen. Chicago has Hermanson, Marte, Cotts, Jenks, etc....and Boston has...Timlin. Add that to a weaker Boston defense (mainly because of Manny and Damon's arm), and I'd say the White Sox have an awfully good shot at this.
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:27 pm

AL

Yankees over Angels in 4, the Yankees are the hotter team right now and although there bullpen is in trouble but the Angels offense is a little overrated, the only true difference make they have now is Vlad.

White Sox over Red Sox in 5, this will be a good series but I believe the Red Sox's pitching will fall apart, they haven't been the hottest team lately(and I guess the White Sox havne't either) but I think the BoSox will just fall apart in the last game.

Yankees over White Sox in 6, Yankees are a good playoff team obviously, these teams are very evenly matched probably with the White Sox having the better pitching staff but the Yankees hitting is much better and should take advantage of them. Plus the White Sox haven't been in the playoffs for a while and probalby fall apart when they get close to the world series and this will be new to Ozzie Guillen.

NL

Cardinals over Padres in 4, I think the Cards are the obvious pick but I don't think it will be a sweep, Carpenter has sucked this whole month and Peavy has been on form all year and especially this month, the Pads should win a low scoring game with a good start from Peavy during Game 1, but the Cards should take the next 3.

Astros over Braves in 5, Braves always fall apart during the postseason and Astros have got the starting pitching, nuff said. They can go pretty deep into their rotation with having a reliable starter(Oz, Clemens, Pettite) damn that's scary.

Cardinals over Astros in 7, This will be closer than most expect, the Astros will put up a good fight but the Cards defense and hitting should win this for them, there will probably be a lot of low scoring games thanks to the Astros pitching but I think the Cards will take this one.

World Series

Cardinals over Yankees in 5, Cardinals are just a dominant team, much better than the Yankees. Their hitting is better, their pitching is better, their defese is better. I think the Yanks are going to get crushed, this is definitely the Cards year. The only game they might lose is when they have one of there low in the rotation starters going like Marquis or Suppan.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby WittyC » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:33 pm

A little bland for my tastes... I'll make a few bold predictions, but not just for the sake of being so.

ALDS
Boston Red Sox def. Chicago White Sox; 4 games - The Sox made a nice run, but the BoSox have already roughed up Buehrle and Garland a couple times this year. This will be a high-scoring affair, but if I'm picking Sox, I'll go Red.

Los Angeles Angels def. New York Yankees; 4 games - Let's be honest here... the Yankees only have one starting pitcher, and RJ can't throw every night. The Angels' starters won't exactly give the Yankees fits aside from Colon, but the bullpen will lock this series up for them rather quickly.

NLDS
San Diego Padres def. St. Louis Cardinals; 5 games - Adam Eaton appeared to be back in Sunday's win, and the Pads are on a hot streak. Brian Giles will have a Beltran-esque postseason run in his contract year as SD shocks the world of baseball.

Houston Astros def. Atlanta Braves; 3 games - Another team that's been white-hot, and as they showed last year they can carry it over to the post season. They have three aces w/ plenty of playoff experience, and this one won't be close.

ALCS
Los Angeles Angels def. Boston Red Sox; 7 games - For many of the same reasons that they handled the Yankees, the Angels will handle the Red Sox. But this one could really be decided on a coin flip.

NLCS
Houston Astros def. San Diego Padres; 5 games - Again, it all comes down to pitching here. Peavy will win 1-0 decision over Clemens, but that's about it.

World Series
Houston Astros def. Los Angeles Angels; 6 games - No Yanks? No BoSox? Okay, this actually just my wet dream series considering the playoff candidates... but I digress. Clemens cements his status as the best pitcher of our generation with a pair of W's. Bagwell's bat comes to life as a DH, and the Angels are simply overmatched.
WittyC
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:38 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
WORLD SERIES
New York Yankees over Houston Astros; 7 games- In a 7 game thriller that pits aces Roger Clemens and Andy Pettitte against their former team, the New York Yankees, the Yankees will overcome and win for the 27th time in franchise history. The incredible Houston pitching will push this series to the brink of the 7th game, but 3 incredible pitching performances from Randy Johnson, coupled with the gritty Yankee lineup, will be enough to overcome the 'Stros.

;-D

Who would have thought that. ;-7
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers