Exercise, Fitness, Gym advice please.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Exercise, Fitness, Gym advice please....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:54 pm

ok, so how would it be if I did session A one day session B the next, and back and forth? With some cardio every other day...biking for me would work cause my mom has that stationary bike...so Bike/Session A, Session B, Bike Session A...would that be good?

and do situps with session B? That seems balanced

and could you explain the fly's? I didnt quite understand?

and i have some flab (not a gut by any means) but a little fat i want to get off...do I need to do JUST cardio to get thin, and then lift, or can I lift, to build muscle WHILE burning fat? I really wanna do this the right way, and not be stuck with a bunch of loose skin like one of my friends who lsot a lot of weight :-t
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:17 pm

ok, I just did session A and B and abs!

Went about an hour 5. I liked it...although their were a few where your wording was confusing

could you explain

Flys
Narrow Rows (wide rows too)
Forearm Curls

And I think i got these, just want to make sure

the triceps one...you lie paralell, and your elbow is pointing straight up basically. When you start the weights are behind your head, and you pull them up, and you end up with your arms perp. and straight to the ground. this is right?

On the hammer curls I cant go up to far...i am assuming that no one can go up this far cause your bicep gets in the way...but should my elbows be touching my side?

And in general on curls, where should be elbows be? Inside or outside my hands?

But otherwise...good workout...i can really feel it...should i do both sessions one day...and cardio abs the next, or cardio/A, abs/B?
Then, on the
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:36 pm

Do A, B, Bike, A, B, Bike, etc. Do abs every other day. When you get near your desired muscle mass and want to do a little more fat burn, do A, bike, B, bike, A, bike, B, bike, etc

form:
go here: http://www.infinityfitness.com/videos/exer.htm for:
lying tricep extension
suitcase row (narrow row)
DB elbow row (wide row)
DB rotation press (bench press) - ignore how far his elbows go down and the pace he's doing
Palm front fly (Flys) - face palms up instead, don't let you elbows go as far down.

On all curls, elbows should stay at your side, hands are on the same plane, not inside or outside (ok if they shift a cuople inches outside on the way up though.)
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:36 pm

wait are you saying do A B and bike everyday? Or A one day, B the next, and Bike the last? If it is A one day, b the next...i could add a few more exircises to A and B cause they were about 30 minutes each...i could do some more...and also, for weights, we have some 5's 8's and 10's that my mom uses (she is HUGE on low weight high reps) but I could do all the exircises 3x12 with the 10 or 8's...should i go for something like this?

http://www.fogdog.com/product/index.jsp ... age=family

this looks good for not much $$

and it can go from 5-20lbs on each one, if i am using htem both...and i can always get additional weights...right?

I like the workout though...although there wasnt much for back...do you have any others that are good for overall back strength?

Just a general Q, how long does it take for me to see/feel a difference? I am not thinkign that it will happen overnight, but in general, how long would it take to start noticing a difference? Dont think you answered, but will the weights/cardio build muscle but ALSO be burning fat? Cause i broke a sweat, but nothing real big today...will i be burning fat?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:34 pm

Back when I started my freshman year of college I came in benching just 95 lbs. At the end of the year I was repping 185lbs and maxing out at 230lbs. The best way to make any gains in the gym is to first make sure you have a set time schedule where you go to the gym. Next to help you maintain your schedule you should get a partner (motivation is huge as well as the friend competition), record your gains, and make some realistic goals. Here's My Workout that I first started with:

Everything here is 3 sets with 10 reps
Chest/Triceps
Decline bench press
Dumb bell bench press
Cable Flyes
Incline bench Press
Tricep pushdown
Tricep Extention
Skull Chrushers
Dips

Back (your largest muscle so work it out super hard)/Biceps
Bicep Curl (with barbell)
Wrist Curls
Reverse Wrist Curls
Hammers
Preacher Curls
Pullups
Seaterd Row
One Arm Row
Lat Pulldowns

Shoulders/Legs
Leg Press
Deadlift
Squat
Calf Raises
Leg Extention
Military Press
Shoulder Press
Upright Row
Shrugs

Abs
Knee Raises (on an incline bench or roman chair if you can)
Bicycles
Reverse Situps
Side Bridges
Twists (barbell)

Ok this might seem like a lot, but if you can spare about 1.5 hours it can be done. I would exercise every other day and do some aerobic excerise on my "off" day, which means jogging, racketball (I still suck :-b ), or basketball for about 1 hour. One more important thing is to make sure you're drinking lots of water or powerade.

p.s.
if this isn't for you just do 2 things. always make sure you know how to do any exercise right because you can get hurt real bad and make sure you ask for a spot if you need it.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:40 pm

thanks bomber! I will combine some of your workout (the back stuff) with some of the one i did today! And i have about 1.5 hours too...so I could probably do all that...i am going for more definition as opposed to bulking up though...is your plan good for that as well?
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:45 pm

A one day, B one day, Bike one day. If the workouts are only taking you 30min, then you're not doing them right. Each set itself should take a minimum of 3min 30sec and that doesn't count the rest between exercises. Abs is about 10min.

You will definitely need more than 10lbs for some exercises. that link is a good starter set and you can always buy more plates as you need them.

back is tough to do with just dumbbells, but the rows and keeping rigid during curls should be enough for your purposes. if you sti8ll want more, lay on a bench stomach down and lift wieghts out to your sides.

generally 8 weeks with any workout before you notice a distinct difference.

you won't burn much fat lifting, but as you add muscle, your body will naturally expend more calories maintaining your body on a daily basis.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby bronxxbomber » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:09 pm

bceagles04 wrote:thanks bomber! I will combine some of your workout (the back stuff) with some of the one i did today! And i have about 1.5 hours too...so I could probably do all that...i am going for more definition as opposed to bulking up though...is your plan good for that as well?

bulking up is a result of the dieting and exercising. so as long as you're eating right, you will notice a slight gain in muscle mass.
Who says I can't be a Yankees and Mets fan???
bronxxbomber
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bceagles04 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:20 pm

Rugby...that 30 minutes wasnt counting 2 or 3 exicises from them cause I wasnt sure on how to do them correctly, it would probably take my 45 for A, 45 for B...is that the length it should be?

And ya, i am obviousely going to gain muscle mass...i dont care if I gain weight as long as the fat goes away...like i would rather be 10 pounds heavier with less fat than what i am now...plus muscle weighs more than fat!
bceagles04
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:42 pm

bceagles04 wrote:Rugby...that 30 minutes wasnt counting 2 or 3 exicises from them cause I wasnt sure on how to do them correctly, it would probably take my 45 for A, 45 for B...is that the length it should be?

And ya, i am obviousely going to gain muscle mass...i dont care if I gain weight as long as the fat goes away...like i would rather be 10 pounds heavier with less fat than what i am now...plus muscle weighs more than fat!

45+ is about right
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk