Exercise, Fitness, Gym advice please.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Exercise, Fitness, Gym advice please....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Exercise, Fitness, Gym advice please....

Postby Phatferd » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:15 pm

I never used to workout. I played sports in High School and that was the extent of me doing something. Since High School I developed a beer gut and some extra flab so a few months ago I decided to workout.

Since July I lost 20lbs, but I have seemed to level off at that number. I began weighing 195 (I am 5'11'') and I am currently 175. For 3 weeks I have remained at 175 (my diet hasn't changed since I begain working out. I eat pretty healthy).

My diet consits of yogurt in the morning, power bar or apple for lunch and a normal meal with meat, veggies or rice for dinner. I am usually right around 2,000 calories a day.

I don't drink anything but water and I am not exagerating. I drink about 12-15 glasses a day. I have had maybe 2 gatorades in 3 months, and some beer on occasions (but I don't drink too much).

Here is my question. I have never had a trainer or anything, I go to my school gym and the person running the facilty doesn't know crap. What should my routine consist of. I would like to lose some more weight, but I thnk 175lbs for being 5'11'' is a healthy weight. I would like to start turning my gut into muscle, however, I don't want to be huge either.

My routine consists of 30 min on this machine (I don't know its name, but its as if you were cross country skiing.) It's as if you're running but you have two long bars you push back and forth.

I then do about 20 arm curls at 40lbs, 20 things that are almost like reverse arm curls where you push out and down. I do about 30 sit-ups on the machine with 90lbs of resistense. Every so often I do about 50lbs of a sit down bench press type thing. I also do 20 reps of 60lbs butterflies.

I could be doing it totally wrong, I have no idea and just trained myself. I am hoping for some advice.

Also if anyone could give me advice on how many calories I should be taking in too would be great or any nutritional advice. My friend told me to stay below 60 grams of fat a day.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Exercise, Fitness, Gym advice please....

Postby HiddenIdentity » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:31 pm

Phatferd wrote:
My routine consists of 30 min on this machine (I don't know its name, but its as if you were cross country skiing.) It's as if you're running but you have two long bars you push back and forth.

Elliptical.
I use those too ;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:37 pm

175 is fine for 5'11" You don't want to be me 3 years ago at 5'8" and 135 lbs :-t

I am now 5'10" and about 160 ;-D
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:27 pm

Are you looking to gain muscle mass, aka "Get Big", or just tone, aka "Get Ripped".

I have a good routine for both of those plans. I'm thinking you want more along the lines of gaining muscle definition. Let me know and I will post the plan I use.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby baseball6791 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:28 pm

I'm no expert, and it sounds like you are doing pretty well on your own, but here's a relatively intense ab routing that we do on my baseball team to build core strength. It usually takes about 30-45 mins with short rests in between each exersize (30-35 seconds) Basically, you do the whole routine on a mat, we start with 100 regular crunches that you do on your own. Then we do a six inches drill (where you lie on you back with your hands on under you butt and your legs six inches up in the air) for about 1-2 minutes depending how hard we are working that day. Then we do 50 "romans" crunches, where you put your arms up towards the sky and do the crunches, and if you do it right it should work your upper abs. After that, 50 "russians" crunches, where you do crunches where you put your arms straight in between your legs, which if you do it right should build your lower abs. Then we do 100 obliques crunches (50 on each side). After that we do supermans (lie on your stomach and raise both your arms and legs as if you are flying like superman) for 1-2 mins. Then bicycles for 1-2 mins. Then wipers (where you extend your arms at your side and swing your legs from side to side and touch each arm) for 1-2 mins. Then we do 2 exersizes that you can only do with a partner, but they are really good if you have someone to do them with. In the first one, partner throw-downs, you lie flat on your back and put your head in between your partner's (who is standing up) legs. You then raise your legs up to about a 90 degree angle where your partner's hands will be. Your partner should then throw (push) your legs back down towards the ground, mixing up throwing them at angles to the left and right. The objective is to not let your legs touch the ground once you have brought them up, which becomes harder and harder the longer you go. You should do it for about a minute each and then switch. The second partner exersize is partner push-downs. You get in a normal crunch position and your partner should be kneeling down and his knees should stradle your feet tightly so that your feet can't really move. You should then begin doing crunches but once you get to the top your partner will push tou back with his hands, again, the objective is not to touch the ground once you go up. This one, again do for about a minute each. Then cool down with 100 crunches slowly.
Do this routine about 2-3 times a week along with your regular workout and it should make a huge difference. The amounts of each exersize that I stated might be a bit much to start with so just kind of experiment and try to find what feels good to you at first and then build up from there. The important thing is to try to get in every exersize and do different types of crunches/drills because they each work a different part of your abs. Good luck ;-D

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Phatferd » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:39 pm

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:Are you looking to gain muscle mass, aka "Get Big", or just tone, aka "Get Ripped".

I have a good routine for both of those plans. I'm thinking you want more along the lines of gaining muscle definition. Let me know and I will post the plan I use.

I am looking for definition, I wan't to lose the flab around my stomach and pecks. I would like to be able to see my muscle definition. I don't care about a six pack (would be nice) but I want as flat of a stomach as possible and I want my pecks to be visiable, along with my arm definition.

I think I will always do some cardio, but I don't know if the best way to define yourself is to lose all the fat through cardio or by increasing muscle mass by doing weight training.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Fri Sep 30, 2005 10:07 am

A few great exercises for exactly what you're looking to do:

1) For ABs: On the Pull down cable (Most people use it for Tricep pulldowns). Hold the bar up by your head, almost to your forehead with your feet about 6-7 feet from the base of the machine (Almost like you're leaning into the machine to take it from behind). Hold the bar to your head and use your ab muscles to do standing crunches down almost to your waist. I do sets of 15 at 60lbs. After you do each set, turn to the side with your feet exactly 90 degrees to where they just were and face the machine so that your side is twisted. Repeat the set for your obliques and switch to do the other side. Take a couple minutes to relax and do 3 sets total. You'll probably scream like a bitch and hurt real bad but that exercise is a beast.

2) For ABs/lower chest: Lay down on the bench with a dumbell (Start with 30 lbs so you can get the motion down). Keep your arms outstretched with the dumbell in both hands and stretch your arms back over your head till you almost touch the floor behind you and (While keeping your back and head flat on the bench) extend over the weight over your head, past your chest, and down to your stomach. Repeat that 15-20 times and take a break. Do 3 sets of a weight that's comfortable for you.

(Arnold actually raves about this exercise in Pumping Iron and credits it with expanding his rib cage 8-o )

3) ABs: This is best done with a medicine ball but you can use a 20-30lb weight as well. Sit on the flat bench with the weight in both hands. Keep your feet outstretched so that you're basically balancing on your gluts (Ass bones so that your body is in a V). Move the weight from side to side, left to right, back and forth while maintaining your center of gravity and balance. Try to go as far to each side as you can while maintaining your balance. You should get a nice rip on your obliques and sides of your abs and you'll probably work your back a little bit too.

4) ABs: Another great exercise for Abs that is real quick, simple and easy but gets the job done is to get an Ab Wheel. I use that when I'm at home watching ballgames or whatever.

Here's the link to it:
http://store.yahoo.com/sportsdirection/ ... wheel.html

That thing will make you burn pretty good.

I know plenty more things for you to do but that should get you started.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RugbyD » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:31 am

any number of exercises will help you towards your goal, but there are a few things that are very important to understand:

1) Building muscle will increase your caloric burn and should help you get over you current fat loss stall.
2) Doing lots of cardio inhibits muscle growth and can actually have a catabolic effect. You'll want to find a basic chart (they're everywhere) that shows what the heart rate ranges are for fat burning and for cardio for your age. Stay within the fat burn range and buy a heart monitor to keep track.
3) Sounds like a few legit personal training sessions will be useful for you, mainly to learn correct lifting form to keep you injury-free and to make the most of each rep.
4) Use freeweights and cables to the fullest extent possible. Avoid machines that fix your range of motion on a specific path.
5) Sounds like you should shift to lifting 3-4 times per week and running 2-3, depending on how many days you can devote each week.

If you want me to PM you the workout I've used I'll be happy to. I designed for myself for the purpose of building lean muscle while approaching definition at a moderate pace. It can be tweaked easily for different goals.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:32 am

I hate exercising so i have no advice...Although I do bike, hike, and ski.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Phatferd » Fri Sep 30, 2005 2:55 pm

What are better, sit-ups or crunches?

I began doing sit-ups, but I didn't feel the burn that badly.

I then did crunches and I totally felt the burn. I would think sit-ups are better based on a longer motion and it's more physically demanding, however, I don't feel it as much as crunches.
Phatferd
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to General Talk