Cubs off-season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Cubs off-season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:30 pm

under no circumstances do i want Pierre, not even now that Furcal is gone

i have a bad feeling there will be Patterson in CF and Mench/Kearns in RF next season, with a 3 headed monster of Cedeno/Walker/Neifi playing the middle infield. and that will be bad

Cedeno might even be a solid leadoff hitter in the future, from what i saw last year hes got the eye and swing for it, but hes not ready for the job this season thats for sure

if Hendry can swing a Huff+Lugo deal with Tampa Bay, then things might just work out. however, i dont know what kind of package it would take to accomplish that
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:16 pm

ThatDude wrote:i have a bad feeling there will be Patterson in CF and Mench/Kearns in RF next season, with a 3 headed monster of Cedeno/Walker/Neifi playing the middle infield. and that will be bad

:-* :-{ %-6

Excuse me, I just threw up in my mouth. Here's to hoping some deals get done at the meetings this week.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:46 pm

ironman wrote:
ThatDude wrote:i have a bad feeling there will be Patterson in CF and Mench/Kearns in RF next season, with a 3 headed monster of Cedeno/Walker/Neifi playing the middle infield. and that will be bad

Excuse me, I just threw up in my mouth. Here's to hoping some deals get done at the meetings this week.
If Lugo goes to the Braves I think the Cubs are stuck with Cedeno/Walker/Neifi. The only decent FA option is Alex Gonzalez (no not that one the better one who was on the Marlins.).
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 384)

Postby ironman » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:59 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
ironman wrote:

If Lugo goes to the Braves I think the Cubs are stuck with Cedeno/Walker/Neifi. The only decent FA option is Alex Gonzalez (no not that one the better one who was on the Marlins.).

If that ends up being the case my only hope is that Cedeno comes on early and gets to start over Neifi. That won't be the case though. Neifi could bat .210 and Dusty would still favor him. His roster moves irritate the crap out of me.
Wendigo's Camaro
ironman
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 94)

Postby ThatDude » Mon Dec 05, 2005 5:38 pm

ironman wrote:
Pogotheostrich wrote:
ironman wrote:

If that ends up being the case my only hope is that Cedeno comes on early and gets to start over Neifi. That won't be the case though. Neifi could bat .210 and Dusty would still favor him. His roster moves irritate the crap out of me.

exactly

there was an interview Dusty did on the Score recently, in which he said Neifi had done "a hell of a job" last year

i was hoping that with Furcal signing here, Cedeno would get the everyday 2B job and Walker would get dealt in a package for a RF bat. now im hoping Cedeno gives Dusthead no choice but to play him everyday. hes got all the makings of a pure contact hitter, almost Grace-esque (im certainly not putting him in Gracies league here, just saying they have a similiar looking swing), and could be great in the 2 hole for a long while, but he needs playing time and some slack to struggle a bit. these are two things i dont really see him getting with both Perez and Walker on the team.

if Hendry can swing a Huff-Lugo deal, then Ronny can slide over to 2nd and Walker can be dealt as had been planned. but im not that impressed with Lugo, so if the price gets too high for both, then id rather just go get Dunn, rather than Huff by himself.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:01 am

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/13338004.htm

Pat Gillick and Charlie Manuel want pitching for their team. They're not bashful about asking for it.

According to National League sources at the winter meetings here, the Cubs asked the Phillies yesterday what it would take to pry away two-time All-Star rightfielder, Gold Glove winner and reigning Home Run Derby champion Bobby Abreu.

The answer: Mark Prior.

The Cubs didn't say yes.

But they didn't say no, either; at least, they haven't so far.

ill go ahead and say NO

If the Prior deal doesn't work out, the Phillies might try one that includes Abreu and Cubs workman starter Jerome Williams - but with serious sweeteners that could include lefty prospect Rich Hill, 25. Hill's status could be shifting from untouchable to movable. He went 11-4 with a 3.31 ERA and 194 strikeouts in 130 2/3 minor league innings last season, though he was 0-2 with a 9.13 ERA in 10 big-league appearances.

now this i oculd do. i really, really like Hill, but if you can get Abreu for a 5th starter and prospects, you kinda have to do it
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:38 am

Pierre for Mitre/Nolasco/Pinto, pending physicals

if Pierre had to come here, and if we had to overpay for him, this is about the best i could hope for. Mitre is a whole lot of nothing, and Nolasco/Pinto are at the back of the pack in terms of our young arms. of course, Willis was about 2 years away when we dealt him and we know how that turned out.

god i hope they arent trying to sign him to an extension
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eamuscatuli » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:53 am

I think the Pierre trade is a good one for the Cubs, having a quality lead-off hitter will make a lot of difference in offense this year.
eamuscatuli
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby LukeW9027 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:37 pm

eamuscatuli wrote:I think the Pierre trade is a good one for the Cubs, having a quality lead-off hitter will make a lot of difference in offense this year.

agreed. ;-D
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby ThatDude » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:43 pm

a quality leadoff hitter would be great and a major improvement.

Pierre is a leadoff hitter, and is an improvement over anyone weve had since EY.

he hasnt had more than 40 XBH's in any of his major league seasons, which considering his speed and average is a very paltry total.

stealing 45-ish bases a year is nice, but getting thrown out almost 20 times a year takes some of the shine off that stat.

we didnt pay all that much for Pierre, so i am happy with the deal to a point. it will be an improvement, but not the huge boost to the numbers that some others think it will be
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Chicago Cubs