Cubs off-season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Cubs off-season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:53 am

The increases for Dempster, Williamson and Perez total +$6 million from their 2005 salaries. That Sosa money is going fast.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ThatDude » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:37 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:The increases for Dempster, Williamson and Perez total +$6 million from their 2005 salaries. That Sosa money is going fast.

im not counting that as Sosa money, im counting that as Remlinger(made $3.7M in 05) + Hawkins(due $3.5M in '06) money

so theres still the $16 from Sammy, about $7 from Burnitz, another $7 from Nomar. thats approx $30M i see to play with, not including the chance, albiet small, that TribCo opens up a bit more and raises the payroll

but Hendry cant go hogwild with it, as there are boys in house that need to be respected. boys named Zambrano, Prior, Lee. they are all more important than any offseason acquisitions

though i was against it at first, at this point im hoping they do sign Furcal and let Cedeno have 2B everyday. of course, that cant happen with Baker at the helm, but i can hope

Walker/Patterson/pitching spects should be able to get something solid back in trade, either in package or separately
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Invictus » Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:26 pm

I'm also beginning to think that signing Neifi was more of a political move (albeit very expensive) to lure Furcal. Neifi and Furcal are good friends, and, also, Neifi has apparently tried talking with Furcal in the past few days "encouraging" him to join up with him in Chicago. There may still be some sanity in Hendry after all.
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:13 pm

The Marlins and Cubs have reportedly had preliminary discussions about a deal involving Juan Pierre and Corey Patterson.
Just how much payroll do the Marlins have to shed? Part of the problem is that even GM Larry Beinfest doesn't know the answer to that question right now. Pierre will make at least $6 million and probably $7 million-$8 million in arbitration and he's eligible for free agency after next season, so a trade is a possibility. The Cubs' level of interest may depend on whether Rafael Furcal can be signed.

Hendry has swung some sweet salary dump deals in his tenure, and this could be another. if Corey+Mitre can get Pierre, then i think the deal gets done regardless of whether Furcal gets signed or not
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby crazyforbaseball » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:23 am

I already like the 1 -2 punch of Pierre and Furcal at the top followed by DLee and Aram.... :-) :-)

Of course those guys could give you 100 SB by themselves if Dusty will allow it.. ;-D
crazyforbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:48 am

crazyforbaseball wrote:I already like the 1 -2 punch of Pierre and Furcal at the top followed by DLee and Aram.... :-) :-)

Of course those guys could give you 100 SB by themselves if Dusty will allow it.. ;-D
I would kill for that 1-2 punch.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ThatDude » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:20 am

ESPN Radio 1000 is reporting that the Cubs are close to acquiring Juan Pierre from the Marlins for a pair of minor leaguers.

No Corey Patterson? We hope the Cubs wouldn't give up Felix Pie for one year of Pierre. Parting with pitching prospects, say Rich Hill along with Sean Marshall or Renyel Pinto, would be preferable.

as much as Hendry thinks of Pie and Hill, i doubt that either would be in this deal, at least i certainly hope not

as long as niether of those two is involved, ill probably end up pleased with this deal.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby ThatDude » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:50 pm

Cubs Trade Jon Leicester to Rangers for PTBNL

i imagine this is just a move to clear room on the 40 man for the vast number of spects that need to be protected from the Rule V coming up. that Sisco nonsense still upsets me, and i certainly dont want to see it happen again.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby crazyforbaseball » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:47 pm

I also heard a possibilty of a trade of Todd Walker for Aaron Heilman. I saw this on another message board but haven't heard anything from it so don't hold me accountable... :-)
crazyforbaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ThatDude » Thu Nov 17, 2005 11:11 pm

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Cubs added a lefty to the bullpen mix on Thursday, signing free agent Scott Eyre to a two-year contract with a player option for a third year.

Eyre, 33, was 2-2 with a 2.63 ERA in a career-high 86 games with the San Francisco Giants, striking out 65 over 68 1/3 innings. Left-handers hit .182 against him last season, while right-handers didn't fare much better, batting .213. He did better on the road, posting a 1.30 ERA away from home compared to 4.01 ERA in San Francisco.

this could either be a solid addition to the pen and a really good signing, or it could be Mike Remlinger all over again
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Chicago Cubs