Cubs off-season - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Chicago Cubs

Cubs off-season

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cubs off-season

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 28, 2005 12:37 pm

This offseason should be very interesting and very crucial for the Cubs. The bullpen and a leadoff hitter have to be priorities.

Nomar, Dempster, and Walker are free agents. Burnitz has a $7 million mutual option. C-Zam needs a contract or arbitration.
C, 1b, 3B and the rotation are set. Murton should be the full time LF next year right?

After 2006
Derrek Lee is a FA.
Wood has a $13 million option or $3 million buyout.
Prior is due a new contract or salary arbitration.
Maddux is a FA or retires.
Rusch is a FA.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 463)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:37 am

Any takes? Anybody?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby reznorsboy » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:52 pm

Should be interesting. I would like to see Mr. Damon in a Cubs jersey next year as it would solve 2 problems. Not sure what they should do with Nomar. Burnitz earned an option I think. They should give Prior whatever he wants. I think that Wiliamson is closer material but I like Dempster, maybe they can be 1-2 8th-9th guys next year.

Basically I think a lead-off hitter will make all the difference in the world.
reznorsboy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:24 pm

reznorsboy wrote:Basically I think a lead-off hitter will make all the difference in the world.
I agree. Problem is it isn't going to be cheap.

Option 1 - Damon, He's making over $8 million this year and will probably want $10 million for 3 years.
Option 2 - Furcal, He's making $5.6 this year and should be around Renteria money.
Option 3 - Haiston or whoever else Henry can dig up

Furcal seems like the best option to me. He's a good leadoff hitter, good defense, good speed, and some power. With a little luck he won't be much more if any than Nomar's getting paid this year.

I expect Burnitz's option to be picked up. Dempster did a good job and shouldn't be that expensive.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mustangs989 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 5:35 pm

Well priority number 1 is getting a leadoff hitter. My preference would be to sign Damon and then hope to get Nomar back on an incentive based contract. With Sosa's contract finally being off the books we have a few extra dollars to spend if they need to. If we can't get Damon I'd suggest going for Furcal at SS and sign a FA CF. Worst case scenario is we rush Pie along and start him next year, I don't want that. I'd like to see him improve his plate discipline in the minors for another year.

I don't want Burnitz back, but I'm not exactly sure what FA options are out there. Best case scenario Burnitz is gone and there's Murton/Damon/(insert FA OF here). Not sure how realistic that is though. I'd like to have Walker back at 2B as he's solid offensively and adds a lefthanded bat.

I think we should look to upgrade the bullpen but Dempster really didn't do too bad as a closer. I won't complain too much if he is our closer next year. Signing Billy Wagner or a proven closer would be great of course. I could live with a solid set-up man for Dempster though and have Williamson, Wuertz, Oman and Rusch all in the pen. Starting pitching should be fine but one of them will probably get injured like they always do. Hopefully Rich Hill can step in but likely Rusch will go back into that spot starting role.

I haven't really explored the FA options much this year so I'm not real sure on who our replacements could be.
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Mustangs989 » Sat Oct 01, 2005 7:02 pm

Signed Dempster to a 3 year extension today.

Rotoworld wrote:Cubs signed RHP Ryan Dempster to a three-year, $15.5 million contract extension through 2008.
Well, someone was probably going to give him three years if the Cubs didn't. Still, that's a lot of money for someone with only 4 1/2 months of success in the last five years. Dempster has done a great job since taking over as the closer, but when was the last time the Cubs' signed a reliever to a two- or three-year deal and not regret it a year later? This kind of commitment guarantees that Dempster will close next year. Kerry Wood wants to remain a starter and will get that opportunity. Oct. 1 - 2:28 pm et
Mustangs989
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Pogotheostrich » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:39 pm

That does seem like a lot of money for Dempster. :-?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:33 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:That does seem like a lot of money for Dempster. :-?

8-o That's what I was thinking too. :-o
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby RugbyD » Sun Oct 02, 2005 8:26 pm

prolly a little back-pay for a job well done this year. they also have a ton of money freed up next year with sosa off their dole.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Invictus » Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:55 pm

Still that money should be spent on somebody like furcal, not on Dempster (even taking into account what a wonderful job he's done as a closer.) That said though, if he can be consistant like he has been this year, then it was a good move.
Invictus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Chicago Cubs