Post-Season setup - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to St. Louis Cardinals

Post-Season setup

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Post-Season setup

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:34 am

From baseballmusings.com
The Cardinals started their playoff batting order against the Astros last night. Good for them. Even though an Astros victory helps St. Louis toward an easier first-round opponent, St. Louis tried to win the game.

Oswalt pitched extremely well, striking out seven and walking none over seven innings. He threw 77 of 104 pitches for strikes. It looks like the Astros have two of their big three in shape for the playoffs. The Astros magic number is three to claim the wild card.

Right now the playoffs are shaping up to be St. Louis vs. San Diego and Atlanta vs. Houston. The St. Louis/San Diego series gets the extra day of rest this year (they play Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday). That means San Diego could bring Jake Peavy back in game 3 on short rest if they lose the first two, or the Cardinals could go with Carpenter if the reverse happened

I'd like to see Walker and Edmonds switched but that was pretty much the playoff batting order last night. Aces going game 1 and 3 with the extra day of rest is interesting especially with Peavy and Carp's histories of injuries.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:44 am

Switch Jimmy and Larry? Edmonds has been batting second for a little while now, and these are his numbers since from the last Cubs series until now:

.285 (10-for-35) with a HR, 3B, 4 2B, 6 R, 6 RBI, & 2 BB.

Granted, his OBP is only .324 over that same stretch, but considering his production most of the season, I am happy with anything remotely consistent and productive from Jimmy.

BTW, in very limited playing time (20 ABs), Walker is .500/.545/.600 over that same stretch (no HRs).
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:59 am

That's the thing I just think Walker is more patient and will be on more for Pujols to drive in, plus I consider him a better baserunner. Besides Edmonds probably has more power at this stage in both their careers.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:03 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:That's the thing I just think Walker is more patient and will be on more for Pujols to drive in, plus I consider him a better baserunner. Besides Edmonds probably has more power at this stage in both their careers.

I completely agree, but there seems to be something else at work here. Edmonds isn't really hitting too well this season, and he's been behind Pujols quite frequently. He's actually producing now batting second.

I'd rather have Edmonds doing what he's doing now out of the 2-hole than in the 4-slot going .240/.260/.400.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:14 pm

I checked ESPN. For the year, Edmonds is batting .264/.404/.902 (43 RBI) out of the cleanup spot. Am I the only one who thinks that BB percentage is crazy for someone batting behind Pujols?

Anyways, batting second this year, he's .244/.340/.844.

Either he's bucking the trend lately, or LaRussa's vastly unsatisfied with Edmonds' cleanup production.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:19 pm

Edmond actually has hit better 4th this year.
Code: Select all
       Order   AB    AVG      OBP   SLG
Batting   #2   127   0.244   0.340   0.504
Batting   #4   266   0.267   0.404   0.508

link

Then again so has Walker :-)
Batting 2nd: .778 OPS
Batting 4th: 1.138 OPS

It seems odd to me that they would both be better hitters behind Pujols as opposed to in front of him. :-? But given these numbers it looks like the Cards would be better off with Edmond 2nd and Walker 4th.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Sep 30, 2005 12:42 pm

Great minds, right? ;-)

I think the answer lies in the difference between OBP and BA in the #4 spot.

Edmonds: .264/.404 - diff = .140
Walker: .388/.481 - diff = .093

Walker's figures are from a smaller sample size, but the stats show that he's swinging at more pitches behind Pujols. I think Tony would rather have Walker there now because he's making things happen at #4, even if his current numbers are a bit inflated by the small sample size. Edmonds is just sitting there and taking pitches.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to St. Louis Cardinals