100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Terrible news for Met fans

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby DK » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:01 pm

Yoda wrote:
DK wrote:
Yoda wrote:
Amazinz wrote:I'm pulling for Hernandez or Keppinger over anyone else. If that doesn't work out than I'd still prefer Kaz over Cairo. The only thing Cairo has going for him over Kaz is that he's better suited to the NY media scrutiny and unforgiving fans. All in all not too big of a deal. The only terrible news in this thread is that Yoda still hasn't found his sense of humor. :-D

So let me get this straight. You want Hernandez or Keppinger to beat out Kaz who will make $7M+ and sit on the bench? You don't think that $7M could be spent on bringing in a 'real' closer or someone who can hit, field and run better than Kaz?

Chances are we'd have to pay for his salary even if he did leave (or at least negotiate a buyout). If you think that $7M just gets up and walks away you are dreaming...

No but they would be responsible for a portion of it. Some sort of a buyout. Don't you think it would've been nice to see him go? Or do you honestly think that he can help them become a championship team.

Didn't I say we'd need to negotiate a buyout? :-?

When did this become about a championship team? :-? I didn't support the Kaz signing (or maybe I did until I researched his stats in Japan, which weren't as good as I thought), but he's more serviceable than Cairo.

I don't think there's any second basemen who we could sign this offseason that would instantly help us become a championship team (wherever that came from). Soriano doesn't get on base nearly enough.

At most, we'd need a stopgap for Hernandez while he continues to develop unless he's further along then I thought. I like Keppinger, but I don't know if I'd take him over Kaz yet- it's about even in my mind (I don't know enough about Kepp yet).

I didn't expect Kaz to leave with 7 mil on the table. Would you?
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazinz » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:02 pm

Does it matter? Whatever happens to Kaz (buyout, trade, playing, bench warming) the Mets will be picking up a majority of his contract. If Keppinger or Hernandez look like they'll provide better production than Matsui or Cairo what does it matter that $7M is sitting on the bench? The money is accounted for anyway.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Red Stripe » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:52 pm

I'm hoping Kaz just has a total great breakout year next year, it would be priceless just to see the expressions and hear the thoughts of Mets fans. ;-D :-b
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby rob0417 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:11 am

The only way Kaz has a breakout year, is if they trade him.
rob0417
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:03 am

rob0417 wrote:The only way Kaz has a breakout year, is if they trade him.

Yeah if he plays in Japan that is...
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers