Burnett sent home for the rest of the year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnett sent home for the rest of the year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:26 am

Great. So now I lose Pedro and AJ in the championship week.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby .38 Special » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:04 pm

Burnett has been complaining all year that the Marlin's weren't utilizing his strengths. They wanted him to be more of a finesse pitcher then a power pitcher so he could go deeper in games and cause less of a chance of their bullpen blowing it. Hence all the CG's that the Marlin's have racked up. Burnett wants to throw the heat....

I can understand both sides of the issue.....Burnett is a FA, and he wants his best attribute's to be showcased....but I think his way of trying to fix the problem only makes him look worse.

Unfortunately all of this won't help myself and other Burnett owners who are scraping and clawing it out in the finals.
.38 Special
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:07 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Great. So now I lose Pedro and AJ in the championship week.

Me too. To make matters worse, I'm in a weekly line-up league and I can't put in a replacement. At least I knew about Pedro before Monday so I could get him out of my line-up.

I was up big, now It's going to be close with those two gone.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby AT » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:20 pm

George_Foreman wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:For the record: I don't want the Yankees to sign him. I want Millwood.

i think it would be the right move. millwood aught to be able to put up an ERA under 4.00 next year, which should be enough for success in Yankee-ville. that said, i like him, so i woudln't want to have to root against him if he played for the yanks. :-D

Yanks don't need Millwood next year with a rotation likely to resemble:

Johnson
Mussina
Wang
Pavano
Chacon

with Wright still under contract they likely won't go get a starter but you never know with the Yanks. If they go after one I hope it's Millwood and not Burnett. He's clearly a punk and I've always thought he didn't have the maturity to know how to pitch plus some arm trouble history. For some reason I think there's a chance Burnett will end up in Toronto or with the Cubs maybe :-?
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:24 pm

.38 Special wrote:Burnett has been complaining all year that the Marlin's weren't utilizing his strengths. They wanted him to be more of a finesse pitcher then a power pitcher so he could go deeper in games and cause less of a chance of their bullpen blowing it. Hence all the CG's that the Marlin's have racked up. Burnett wants to throw the heat....

I can understand both sides of the issue.....Burnett is a FA, and he wants his best attribute's to be showcased....but I think his way of trying to fix the problem only makes him look worse.

Unfortunately all of this won't help myself and other Burnett owners who are scraping and clawing it out in the finals.

It's ironic that earlier in the season, Burnett's Ks were down but he was lasting longer into games and putting up fantastic numbers; and later in the season, when he wastrying to K more guys, his performance wasn't nearly as good; and he'd prefer the latter to the former. :-?
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Pedantic » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:32 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:For the record: I don't want the Yankees to sign him. I want Millwood.

i think it would be the right move. millwood aught to be able to put up an ERA under 4.00 next year, which should be enough for success in Yankee-ville. that said, i like him, so i woudln't want to have to root against him if he played for the yanks. :-D

Johnson
Mussina
Wang
Pavano
Chacon

with Wright still under contract they likely won't go get a starter but you never know with the Yanks. If they go after one I hope it's Millwood and not Burnett. He's clearly a punk and I've always thought he didn't have the maturity to know how to pitch plus some arm trouble history. For some reason I think there's a chance Burnett will end up in Toronto or with the Cubs maybe :-?

I'm sure the AL East is quivering in fear at the very sight of that rotation.

But as to the topic on hand, I side with Burnett. He doesn't seem like the type of guy that would say something like what he's said without some kind of reason. I think we've known for a long time that the atmosphere surrounding the Marlins organization has often been very poor. This isn't the first Marlins young gun to say something about management, if you recall.

The Marlins made it abundantly clear that they didn't plan keeping Burnett around next season. They even came to this conclusion without talking to Burnett about anything. What then is so wrong about what Burnett said? It's basically the same thing the Marlins have been saying about him since the beginning of the season. He may have been a little less than tactful about it, but he is obviously frustrated, both with his play and management. Florida management has some communication issues with its players, and at that level, that's unacceptable.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby blankman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:38 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:
George_Foreman wrote:

Johnson
Mussina
Wang
Pavano
Chacon

I don't expect either of them to be Yankees.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby acsguitar » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:57 pm

Burnett is a big P :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:50 pm

I'm surprised that everyone is siding with Burnett here. I started to post yesterday but every time I started to I couldn't decide what to say.

But after thinking about Burnett's comments and what happend to the Fins this season, I put a lot of the blame on him. He was supposed to help carry the team into post season. The team decided against trading him (or they simply did not get an offer good enough to their liking) so that he can continue to help them towards another post season run, risking getting nothing in return for him. Instead, he completely fell apart and lost pretty much every decision in September (one ND ended up as a loss as well). He not only hurt the Fins but himself as well.

Then the tirade about the management. I agree with him that they didn't do the best job. But if Burnett pitched like the ace he was supposed to be, they'd be tied for the Wild Card right now. He didn't and they are pretty much out of it. Pat him on the back after giving up a HR? Is he nuts? He expects a pat on the back for that?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Fool42 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:02 pm

I don't imagine that the fact that Burnett needs 1 more inn pitche to receive a $50k bonus would help make the decision by management. The guys blew off some steam. Should he have kept it house instead of making it public probably but this is just a classless way to save some cash by the Marlins.
All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies
Fool42
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers