Burnett sent home for the rest of the year... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Burnett sent home for the rest of the year...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Burnett sent home for the rest of the year...

Postby warrick95 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:06 am

A.J. Burnett - S - Marlins

The Marlins sent A.J. Burnett home today, ending his season as a result of the comments he made following Sunday's game.
GM Larry Beinfest said Burnett was not suspended and would be paid for the remainder of the season. However, he also confirmed that the Marlins would not make the right-hander an offer in the offseason. Not that that will really matter to Burnett. Ismael Valdez or Josh Johnson could start in his place on Friday. Sep. 26 - 11:53 pm et

Seriously, Marlins...are you kidding? This disciplinary action, albeit small in effect, is a joke. He was probably a little frustrated after the game. No big deal. At least he was being honest. If y'alls clubhouse is a craphole, then it's a craphole...it's your job (especially as a manager) to create an environment good for the players to perform well on the field. That's even more important than a manager actually making the right decisions on the field, because most of the time, the latter is only going to make so much of a difference. That's why managers like Bobby Cox always succeed.

In addition, it's the Marlins' front office's job to attempt to make their team better by paying players. AJ said what he said, both because of the bad environment with teh Marlins, but probably also because of indications that he would get paid more elsewhere. Nothing wrong with that, right? If I were a decent player, I'd probably be a Yankee, because they're willing to pay the cash.

Oh and for the people who wondered what to do with Burnett down the stretch with his bad pitching...you can cut bait, although it'd only be for one start.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:54 am

I must have missed this, what exactly happened?
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby orange12 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:14 am

You know what, I'm going to have to side with the Marlins organization on this one. Even if what Burnett said was 100% dead on, it was simply not his place to say it. He's not an experienced veteran like Jeff Kent (who called out Milton Bradley earlier this year) or even Billy Wagner (who criticized his team before the trade deadline) nor is he a clubhouse leader or captain of the team therefore him calling out the team's coaching staff was out of line and the punishment was fitting if not too lenient.

In team sports, trust in your fellow teammate is crucial. Thats why unwritten rules like what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse are created. In Burnett's case, he called out not just a teammate but his superiors after he himself pitched poorly. If he truly had a problem he should have dealt with it "in house" so to speak. Breaking it out to the media is a cardinal sin as far as professional team sports is concerned.
orange12
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 27, 2005 3:41 am

well Vargas' value just went up for next season. :-)
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 746)

Postby abstractpoet » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:50 am

orange12 wrote:You know what, I'm going to have to side with the Marlins organization on this one. Even if what Burnett said was 100% dead on, it was simply not his place to say it. He's not an experienced veteran like Jeff Kent (who called out Milton Bradley earlier this year) or even Billy Wagner (who criticized his team before the trade deadline) nor is he a clubhouse leader or captain of the team therefore him calling out the team's coaching staff was out of line and the punishment was fitting if not too lenient.

In team sports, trust in your fellow teammate is crucial. Thats why unwritten rules like what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse are created. In Burnett's case, he called out not just a teammate but his superiors after he himself pitched poorly. If he truly had a problem he should have dealt with it "in house" so to speak. Breaking it out to the media is a cardinal sin as far as professional team sports is concerned.

Agreed. The main problem, in my mind, is actually the fact that he's been pitching so terribly this past month. If he were going out there and doing his job, then he might have some credibility when he criticizes the management. Right now it just sounds like he's a crybaby--instead of being a man and admitting that he's pitching like a big pile of dung, he has to go blame someone else. Even if he has a valid gripe, that's still how it comes across to me.

If I were a GM, this whole incident would make me shy away from A.J.--I mean, no one wants a disloyal player. Of course, I have no doubts that he'll be getting a fat paycheck from someone next year.
abstractpoet
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby WharfRat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:39 am

Half Massed wrote:I must have missed this, what exactly happened?

He slammed his team and pretty much the whole organization after he had another mediocre start. I forget exactly what he said, but we now know that Burnett is a punk. Why is he running his mouth when his team was in a pennant race while he puts up September numbers like these?

Code: Select all
           G GS W L  IP  H  ER HR BB  K  ERA WHIP  BAA
September  5  5 0 4 27.1 26 18 2  14 34 5.93 1.46 .243

:-t
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby AT » Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:41 am

For the record: I don't want the Yankees to sign him. I want Millwood.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JTWood » Tue Sep 27, 2005 8:04 am

Half Massed wrote:I must have missed this, what exactly happened?

ESPN.com wrote:The decision came a day after the pitcher said the team plays scared because manager Jack McKeon and the coaching staff are too negative.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:25 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:For the record: I don't want the Yankees to sign him. I want Millwood.

i think it would be the right move. millwood aught to be able to put up an ERA under 4.00 next year, which should be enough for success in Yankee-ville. that said, i like him, so i woudln't want to have to root against him if he played for the yanks. :-D
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby WharfRat » Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:27 am

Atrophying Testicles wrote:For the record: I don't want the Yankees to sign him. I want Millwood.

;-D
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers