Most Underrated Fantasy Player - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Underrated Fantasy Player

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby AT » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:00 pm

It's definitely Sizemore for me. Although Paul Konerko and several others are right up there. Always tons of guys who go underappreciated every season but this year I think it's Sizemore with Konerko 2nd.

Anyone remember that flame fest I got into about Konerko vs. Wilkerson for this year? What a joke that turned out to be... ;-D
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Jury » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:21 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:It's definitely Sizemore for me. Although Paul Konerko and several others are right up there. Always tons of guys who go underappreciated every season but this year I think it's Sizemore with Konerko 2nd.

Anyone remember that flame fest I got into about Konerko vs. Wilkerson for this year? What a joke that turned out to be... ;-D

I still don't think Konerko is a whole lot better than Wilkerson, as Wilkerson had an injury-riddled season this year.

I'll give HR to Konerko but Wilkerson is/will continue developing into a pretty good offensive package.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:26 pm

The Jury wrote:
Atrophying Testicles wrote:It's definitely Sizemore for me. Although Paul Konerko and several others are right up there. Always tons of guys who go underappreciated every season but this year I think it's Sizemore with Konerko 2nd.

I still don't think Konerko is a whole lot better than Wilkerson, as Wilkerson had an injury-riddled season this year.

I'll give HR to Konerko but Wilkerson is/will continue developing into a pretty good offensive package.

Please don't make me dig up that thread...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mkultra » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:04 pm

Sizemore, absolutely. He kept getting punted around my main league until he found a nice, stable home with my team B-).

I'd also throw Bob Wickman into the mix. He's not a lights-out closer, and his WHIP sucks, but it's tough to argue with 45 saves.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:19 pm

The Jury wrote:

:-? Konerko is only 1 year older but has 126 more HR, 425 more RBI, 211 mor R (despite the fact that Wilkerson has been leading off), .19 advantage in AVG. Wilkerson definitely has him beat in SBs but that is about it.

Jury further demonstrated how underrated Konerko really is. He gets compared to players like Wilkerson.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pedantic » Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:58 pm

Yoda wrote:
The Jury wrote:

:-? Konerko is only 1 year older but has 126 more HR, 425 more RBI, 211 mor R (despite the fact that Wilkerson has been leading off), .19 advantage in AVG. Wilkerson definitely has him beat in SBs but that is about it.

Jury further demonstrated how underrated Konerko really is. He gets compared to players like Wilkerson.

Konerko might be more fantasy friendly (I think that Wilkerson is a better hitter in real life, when healthy), but I think that people do remember Konerko's not-so-spectacular season a couple of years back. Not exactly a lock for 40 jacks. Not really a lock for anything actually.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:07 pm

Pedantic wrote:
Yoda wrote:
The Jury wrote:

Konerko might be more fantasy friendly (I think that Wilkerson is a better hitter in real life, when healthy), but I think that people do remember Konerko's not-so-spectacular season a couple of years back. Not exactly a lock for 40 jacks. Not really a lock for anything actually.

I totally agree. I think Wilkerson can be a nice player but as the title of this thread says, this is about fantasy baseball. You'd be a fool if you didn't take Konerko over Wilkerson in any given year.

Take out the one bad season and Konerko is a very steady, solid player. He's not elite but getting 40+ HR from anyone despite their other numbers is huge in fantasy baseball. He'll be up there again in 06.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby AT » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:57 pm

Stop with this Wilkerson Konerko comparison. It wasn't close then and it's certainly not close now. Real life, fantasy, or otherwise. People forget that Konerko isn't just a Sexson/Dunn type. He has 3 seasons with .304, .298, .294 Avg. Wilkerson's best Avg was .268 and he's never stolen more than 13 bases. He's not a good hitter and he's not a base stealer and save for last season he's not a power hitter either. People sound ridiculous arguing for this guy. Seriously, I'll bring back that old thread if I have to spend 3 hours looking for it. Give it up.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Re: I second that one.

Postby OhMrScottyTrav06 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:16 pm

Ballwreckers wrote:
Chone Figgins- He's put up very good numbers all year. But most importantly, I've been able to plug him all over my infield and outfield when I've had to juggle the lineup due to injuries and off-days. He's been indispensable and would be my Fantasy Team MVP if we win it this week.

I second that one. Though he will not play SS next year, he is still very flexable and puts up solid #'s for a 2nd baseman.

Chone Figgins is the most underrated player. Both fantasy wise and for the Angels. He can play 6 positions and that is so crucial when injuries come along.
OhMrScottyTrav06
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby Pedantic » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:51 pm

Atrophying Testicles wrote:Stop with this Wilkerson Konerko comparison. It wasn't close then and it's certainly not close now. Real life, fantasy, or otherwise. People forget that Konerko isn't just a Sexson/Dunn type. He has 3 seasons with .304, .298, .294 Avg. Wilkerson's best Avg was .268 and he's never stolen more than 13 bases. He's not a good hitter and he's not a base stealer and save for last season he's not a power hitter either. People sound ridiculous arguing for this guy. Seriously, I'll bring back that old thread if I have to spend 3 hours looking for it. Give it up.

I'm sticking to my story that when Wilkerson is healthy, he is a better hitter than Konerko in real life. He is a line drive hitter who racks up extra-base hits and takes the base on balls with alacrity. Konerko is a one-dimensional hitter who relies on the long ball for his success.

I should add that before his horrid '03 campaign, Konerko didn't really have all that much more power than Wilkerson. Konerko is not the kind of player that I can look at and say with any kind of certainty that, yes, this guy should hit 40 HR. Konerko is a bubble waiting to burst, IMO.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers