League winners - first 5 picks? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

League winners - first 5 picks?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:38 am

i'll tell you my 5 keepers in a H2H 12 team league i won this year, the only league i won and the only league i actually had a chance after the ASG. ;-)

Justin Morneau
Marcus Giles
Juan Pierre
AJ Burnett
Joe Nathan

:-o

only pierre is still on my team.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby warrick95 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:01 pm

6th pick
Soriano
Teixeira
Jeter
Sheets
Mulder

I made some nice trades, too. Only Soriano and Sheets actually stayed on my roster. I certainly don't win leagues based on drafting.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:06 pm

Pujols
Cabrera
Rivera
Sheets
Kent
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby ja515y » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:12 pm

Beltran :-/
Thome :-[
Kent ;-)
Clemens :-D
Posada :-?

My best picks were Glaus at 7th, B-rob at 13, and the D-train at 17.
My team started out, and after some trades, ended on fire. I can only imagine how much I would have killed my league if my first 2 picks weren't so horrible.
ja515y
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Yoda » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:17 pm

warrick95 wrote:Only Soriano and Sheets actually stayed on my roster. I certainly don't win leagues based on drafting.

Wow. 8-o I think I'm the opposite. 15 of the 25 players on my roster are from the draft.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:07 pm

rainman23 wrote:I'm not sure it's relevant, because the longer I play this game the more I believe you win championships after Round 5. I guess some of the responses we're seeing reinforce that. Mine pretty much does too:

Helton
Rolen
Sheffield
Rollins
Peavy

With Helton / Rolen (picking 12th) I felt like I didn't even have a choice in the first two rounds. And I regretted the Rollins pick much of the year...but he's duhman come playoff time.

Generally, you win championships in rounds 6-14 and on the wire. You lose them in the first 5 rounds with busts. This was a very atypical year with a lot of starting pitchers blowing up, a ridiculous number of closers turning over and a number of elite bats disappointing (Helton, Beltre, Beltran, Thome, etc). Add in a number of breakout players that came from nowhere (Roberts, Peralta, Lopez, etc) and you can see where more than in prior years, bad early drafts can be overcome with some good WW pickups. Still, now that we have hopefully seen the fallout from roids withdrawal, I would hope next season falls more to norms and we do not see such erratically high bust rates.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RAmst23 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:15 pm

Not to beat a dead horse here (I love that phrase), but I think playing in a couple public leagues this year proved that the first 5 rounds this year have less significance than the middle to later rounds do. By this I mean, it doesn't take too much research to draft a top 60 player. The research comes into play when falling into the 100-200 player range.

Everyone knew Pujols was going to hit this year, but far fewer had Chase Utley on their radars.. good thread
;-D
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby sooner711 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:18 am

My top 5 picks...

1. Helton
2. Bonds
3. Pedro
4. Beltre
5. Peavy

Of course, I did trade Bonds and C. Zambrano before the season for Pujols and K. Brown...getting Pujols probably saved my season. ;-D
sooner711
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ender » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:20 pm

14 team league I picked like 12th I believe, very competitive league not a yahoo pickup league...

Crawford
Thome
Blalock
Renteria
Dunn
Beckett
L. Hernandez
Kolb
A. Jones
B. Roberts
C. Cordero
D. Willis

For injuries I lost Thome, Gagne, Sheets, Beckett. I eventually benched/dropped Weeks, L. Hernandez, Hardy because of injury issues towards the end of the year and Chacon/Small because the yanks kept saying one of them would lose a rotation spot. I dropped Jenkins, O. Cabrera, Koskie, Hampton earlier in the year because I had so many injuries I couldn't afford to keep them. I also lost Kolb and M. Adams as closers early in the year though I did get Turnbow as a FA.

My final pitching staff won ERA for me to give me the championship with a sub 2.9 ERA...

R. Johnson
S. Baker (FA)
Z. Duke (FA)
N. Lowry (FA)
M. Cain (FA)
J. Williams (FA)
D. Turnbow (FA)
H. Street
C. Cordero

My final hitters included 7 FA's including 4 that I picked up the last week just for the finals because of injury problems/slumping players. Needless to say I think the draft has little to do with championships, its the in season moves that win or lose.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Rubidium » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:52 pm

Honestly I won neither of my leagues, but the winners drafted as follows.

Private league, 1st pick, 12 teams:
Pujols, Jeter, Blalock, Oswalt, Foulke

Public league (Sportsline Gold), 6th pick, 10 teams:
Santana, Soriano, Teixiera, A Ramirez, C Lee
Rubidium
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers