Who will be the next D-Train/Carpentar - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who will be the next D-Train/Carpentar

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Simulacrum » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:08 pm

Chris Young anyone?
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikhayl » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:16 pm

_Simulacrum_ wrote:Chris Young anyone?

I don't know...he faded real bad after the break. While I do think that Hershiser has done wonders with the Texas staff, I think his fade and the fact that he'll be looking at 15 starts in Arlington are factors big enough to annoint him the next big thing.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:37 pm

I think Jason Vargas could be a nice value pick next year. Great stuff, great K/9, but needs to improve his control. If he can, he'll be "Felix Lite" for a fraction of the price.

Other potential value picks: Ervin Santana, Liriano, Douglass, and even Bonderman. His second half collapse will scare many off, but I think it had a lot to do with that line drive he took off his pitching hand in August.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:28 pm

Secret Avatar wrote:I think Jason Vargas could be a nice value pick next year. Great stuff, great K/9, but needs to improve his control. If he can, he'll be "Felix Lite" for a fraction of the price.

Other potential value picks: Ervin Santana, Liriano, Douglass, and even Bonderman. His second half collapse will scare many off, but I think it had a lot to do with that line drive he took off his pitching hand in August.

Forgot about Bonderman... I think he takes that big step a lot of people expected for this season although it could be the following year. I'll let you know if I draft him, he will most likely not break out. :-D
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby KULCAT » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:10 am

JOHN LACKEY
JOHN PATTERSON

Bonderman i like too
Kazmir no way, Piniella might be gone but he still plays for a terrible team that's in the AL east. If he ever gets traded i like him
"Nothing is this world worth remembering was ever accomplished without Pasion"-Hegel
KULCAT
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Fantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1)

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Sep 27, 2005 10:52 am

you're asking for someone who will win 20 games, have a WHIP around 1.00 and a sub-3.00 ERA and can be had after the 10th round in most 12-team drafts?

that's a tough one.... A couple of the guys already mentioned have that much potential, like King Felix, Beckett, and MAYBE Patterson, but do people honestly think Kevin Millwood will suddenly turn in to a dominating pitcher? Common, the guy's a location dude, and he's no Greg Maddux or even Tom Glavine for that matter. Same thing goes for most of the other people listed on this thread. I mean, I guess I could see Contreras doing something if he can pitch like he has in the second half over the course of a full sesaon, but even then he'd have to IMPROVE over his best numbers to date and maintain it for twice as long to get to the place Willis and Carpenter have this year.

Outside of the four mentioned above, the only other player I could see doing it is that young pitcher from SF. No, not Noah Lowry, sillies! I'm talking about Matt Cain. He's been a highly-touted prospect for a while now, he's got NASTY stuff, and in 6 starts this year, he's 2-1 with a 2.01 ERA and a 0.88 WHIP. His BAA is .133. 8-o

Do I expect Cain to win 20 next year? Hells na. He's still walking WAY too many people, and until he gets that under control, he'll have issues. But I think he's one of the few guys you'll be able to get later in your drafts who has the kind of potential needed to keep an ERA under 3.00 for a full season.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby AT » Tue Sep 27, 2005 12:25 pm

brandnew wrote:I think John Patterson is like what Carpenter was last year. IMO, he's going to be undervalued in the draft next year, and he'll perform very well.

I like Patterson as well and whoever mentioned John Lackey has the right idea as well. Same with Millwood. Whoever mentioned Heilman be careful. He's A, not going to close for the Mets and B, may not even start somewhere next season. None of those guys will do what Carpenter has done this season for numerous reasons, different for each one, but I like them all to have nice seasons.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers