Crapenter - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Crapenter

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rainman23 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:27 pm

If by "pitching over their head" you mean "having a career year," then I guess Guidry and Gooden have to plead guilty. As does pretty much every player. If the career years of these guys have anything instructive to say about Carpenter's next outing, that's real good news for Fireball and other owners.

Personally, I think a season is a pretty good sample size. Carpenter may never have another year like this, but he's pretty much as good as he looks. I don't know what Loaiza's story is, but I've tended to believe the same thing about him. You don't get lucky for 35 starts.

The idea that Carpenter may not be trying...that kills me. You run into so many fantasy players who have the deluded idea that a player's performance means more to them than it does to the players themselves. They get mad at them for letting them down...like the player would do better if they knew how much was at stake in your fantasy league. Anyone who drafted Carpenter this year struck gold, and you've gotta be kind of an ingrate to make up insulting nicknames for the player when they fail to be godlike for a few starts.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby clevername » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:32 pm

maybe I'm crazy, but everyone that has been posted so far except Loaiza didn't "pitch over their heads" for just a single season. Sure, they had years that seemed to punctuate their careers, but they also seemed to have multiple years that were similarly successful, just not as dominant.

If Carpenter continues to pitch with an ERA around 3-3.50 for the Cards for the next 5 years or so, he will do similar things...17-20 wins a year and probable Cy Young contention.

Yeah, I'm a bit biased as a Cards fan, but I've also watched the guy pitch the vast majority of his starts over the past 2 years. He has rough patches (like this month and April), but when he's on, he's dominating like few other pitchers I've seen.
clevername
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:06 pm

Not sure how you're doing in your league, but I guarantee you that your team would suck a lot worse if you didn't have Carpenter. After all he's done for you a post like this. Pujols hasn't hit a HR in a while, but I'm not crying about it. Crapenter? Ya, for him to be in the front running for the Cy Young, he must be crap. :-° :-t
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:10 pm

rainman23 wrote: Anyone who drafted Carpenter this year struck gold, and you've gotta be kind of an ingrate to make up insulting nicknames for the player when they fail to be godlike for a few starts.

I beg your pardon? Someone who insults someone else for insulting a third person? :-?
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:16 pm

rainman23 wrote:The idea that Carpenter may not be trying...that kills me. You run into so many fantasy players who have the deluded idea that a player's performance means more to them than it does to the players themselves. They get mad at them for letting them down...like the player would do better if they knew how much was at stake in your fantasy league.

The Cards have clinched everything in the NL. By not trying I mean not going his all out, not throwing as hard as he can, not putting that extra mustard on the curve all in order to keep his arm healthy for the playoffs. That's why I said he wasn't trying, so save your "selfish fantasy player" rant.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:24 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Not sure how you're doing in your league, but I guarantee you that your team would suck a lot worse if you didn't have Carpenter. After all he's done for you a post like this. Pujols hasn't hit a HR in a while, but I'm not crying about it. Crapenter? Ya, for him to be in the front running for the Cy Young, he must be crap. :-° :-t

I'm tied 7-7 in the finals in my big money league.

Yes, he has been Cy worthy all year. The last few starts have been crap though. I survived this far into the playoffs with no help from Carpenter. He's been my worst SP the last few weeks. I was wondering if someone can explain his crapiness.
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby rainman23 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:31 pm

Fireball Express wrote:
rainman23 wrote: Anyone who drafted Carpenter this year struck gold, and you've gotta be kind of an ingrate to make up insulting nicknames for the player when they fail to be godlike for a few starts.

I beg your pardon? Someone who insults someone else for insulting a third person? :-?

in·grate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ngrt)
n.
An ungrateful person.

I didn't say you were a dick. "Ingrate" seems appropriate, though.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:37 pm

rainman23 wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:

n.
An ungrateful person.

Seriously, it's not like it's Randy Johnson, who you drafted in the top ten picks and he's super inconsistent all season long. It's a guy you got in the later rounds, put up Cy Young numbers for you all year, and now you're ticked when he hits a rough patch. You struck gold man, I can't say I feel bad for you at all. It's too bad for you that this is happening in your playoffs, but even if Carp goes out and gets one out while giving up 10 ERs next time, you will still have struck gold. I don't have any sympathy for people who hit it big with guys like DLee or Carp and then whine when they fail to put up god-like stats for a stretch. Sorry.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Fireball Express » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:41 pm

rainman23 wrote:
Fireball Express wrote:

n.
An ungrateful person.

Hey, the guy made my sig. He's even the only one in it that didn't miss time from being beamed with a line drive come backer. I've been big on him all year. Even drafted him in a keeper league (not the one I have been talking about). I'm not really ungrateful, just confused as to why he has been pitching poorly recently, a bit confused as to what to do with him this week.

Oh, and just so you know, sometimes I am a dick. :-)
Fireball Express
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Big Pimpin » Sun Sep 25, 2005 10:53 pm

He made your sig? That's awesome. Is he considered a "graphics expert" yet or is he still trying to score that icon?

I kid, I kid. I'm sorry I couldn't resist... :-D
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers