Game 7, who do you want pitching for you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Game 7, who do you want pitching for you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby NZF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:01 pm

blankman wrote:I'd want Randy Johnson pitching for me, but he's clearly not a Cy candidate.


I agree. No better guy to give the ball to in a Game 7 than RJ although the Cy is between Colon and Santana.
When you're right no one remembers, when you're wrong no one forgets - NZF
NZF
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4795
Joined: 19 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting in the Cake Tin enjoying a cold Speights

Re: Game 7, who do you want pitching for you?

Postby BOOF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:03 pm

HiddenIdentity wrote:
BOOF wrote:
Yoda wrote:
bellings wrote:The Cy Young is the award for the best pitcher in each league, right? In order to figure out who the best pitcher is, all you have to ask yourself is who you would want on the mound in Game 7 of the World Series.

In the National League, at least it is a hard choice. You've got Carpenter, Clemens, Willis, and Pedro. I'd probably go with Pedro, but I can see arguments for the others.

But in the American League, is there any rational human being that would not chose Santana? It's not even close. Do you know anyone that would pitch Colón instead of Santana?

Santana should be the Cy Young winner, hands down. Out of all of the major stats, wins has to be the one that the pitcher has the least direct control over, and yet every year it seems to be the deciding factor. That's just stupid.


Game 7 of the Ws I'd go with RJ in the AL and Clemens in the NL.


Pedro left the AL for a reason. If he was the AL starter I could see him as the best, but not the best to pitch to NYY, BOS or LAA. If you were going to walk them out there tomorrow as if they hadn't pitched for 4 days, I go with the lefties Santana and Willis, who both have a higher VORP than Pedro. I leave out Clemens because of his back and Carpenter because I just don't believe in him in a playoff setting. Willis has done horribly in the playoffs before, but I think he's proven he's ready.


Oh man! A higher VORP!!! That makes them no-doubters ;-D


Well hey, if you're going to go against Pedro you'd better have something right?

But it's also about how the Yankees and the AL knows him and about the DH (David Ortiz Home Run).
http://boof.com
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 82
Joined: 21 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BOOF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:54 pm

Pedantic wrote:There could be any number of pitchers that one might want to start a single deciding game. Contrary to what is implied here, the Cy isn't decided by one start. There's a difference between dominating over the course of a season and dominating a single start. In the NL, for instance, I'd probably want Jake Peavy out there. Or Mark Prior. Or A.J. Burnett. Or Josh Beckett. Or Carlos Zambrano. Or any number of pitchers that have the ability to absolutely shut down the opposing team in a start. However, you don't hear them mentioned as Cy Young candidates because they haven't been able to extend that dominance to an entire season, for many reasons which aren't really that important.


Good point with what decides the Cy, but it's fun to think about as a qualifier. So go on, pick one or two. If the question is "who can pitch the single best game in game seven of the world series" that's fun too....David Wells?(look it up)....Roger?....Any of the aforementioned? No, I must even disagree with my initial call of Johan and Willis. Yes I think they are the most dominant over the last two months and capable of dominating in the postseason, but in the world series I want proven veterans.
Curt Schilling and John Smoltz have proven that they are worthy of being selected for your starters in the most important game of the postseason. You can't deny 8-2 with a 2.06 ERA, 4 CG and 2 SHO, 109.3 IP in 15 GS for a 7.34 IP/G with 104 K and 22 BB or 14-4 with a 2.70 (2.49 in WS) ERA, and 189 K in 199.7 IP.
http://boof.com
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 82
Joined: 21 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pedantic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:51 pm

BOOF wrote:
Pedantic wrote:There could be any number of pitchers that one might want to start a single deciding game. Contrary to what is implied here, the Cy isn't decided by one start. There's a difference between dominating over the course of a season and dominating a single start. In the NL, for instance, I'd probably want Jake Peavy out there. Or Mark Prior. Or A.J. Burnett. Or Josh Beckett. Or Carlos Zambrano. Or any number of pitchers that have the ability to absolutely shut down the opposing team in a start. However, you don't hear them mentioned as Cy Young candidates because they haven't been able to extend that dominance to an entire season, for many reasons which aren't really that important.


Good point with what decides the Cy, but it's fun to think about as a qualifier. So go on, pick one or two. If the question is "who can pitch the single best game in game seven of the world series" that's fun too....David Wells?(look it up)....Roger?....Any of the aforementioned? No, I must even disagree with my initial call of Johan and Willis. Yes I think they are the most dominant over the last two months and capable of dominating in the postseason, but in the world series I want proven veterans.
Curt Schilling and John Smoltz have proven that they are worthy of being selected for your starters in the most important game of the postseason. You can't deny 8-2 with a 2.06 ERA, 4 CG and 2 SHO, 109.3 IP in 15 GS for a 7.34 IP/G with 104 K and 22 BB or 14-4 with a 2.70 (2.49 in WS) ERA, and 189 K in 199.7 IP.


Oh, I was serious when I named those pitchers. I would be more than pleased with any of the pitchers named on the mound for the most important game of the season. All of them have the potential to singlehandedly take over a game.
Image
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 6725
Joined: 5 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Funny movie quote that everyone knows

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:02 am

Here's my Game 7 pitching rotation

1st inning: Trevor Hoffman
2nd inning: Huston Street
3rd inning: Scott Linebrink
4th inning: Billy Wagner
5th inning: Chad Cordero
6th inning: Cliff Politte
7th inning: Jason Isringhausen
8th inning: Todd Jones
9th inning: Mariano Rivera

Batters won't be able to see enough of any of these guys to used there pitching. Plus the chances of one of these guys blowing up and having a horrific inning is pretty low.

But ya that's in my little fantasy world where I've always thought a team should try one day to pitch one guy per inning because I really think that could work out.

Anyway I'd probably take Johan for the AL and easily take the Rocket for the NL.
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby mweir145 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:12 am

Red Stripe wrote:Here's my Game 7 pitching rotation

1st inning: Trevor Hoffman
2nd inning: Huston Street
3rd inning: Scott Linebrink
4th inning: Billy Wagner
5th inning: Chad Cordero
6th inning: Cliff Politte
7th inning: Jason Isringhausen
8th inning: Todd Jones
9th inning: Mariano Rivera

Batters won't be able to see enough of any of these guys to used there pitching. Plus the chances of one of these guys blowing up and having a horrific inning is pretty low.

But ya that's in my little fantasy world where I've always thought a team should try one day to pitch one guy per inning because I really think that could work out.

Anyway I'd probably take Johan for the AL and easily take the Rocket for the NL.

Cliff Politte? :-P The former Jay who failed in the closer role for us? :-P

Can't you find someone a bit better? :-b
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 4)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Postby Kingctb27 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:14 am

Pitching...Pedro and Johan

Hitting with the bases loaded, in the bottom of the 9th, in a tie ball game.... Bonds, easily
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion
Posts: 7189
Joined: 11 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Golfing

Postby Red Stripe » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:17 am

mweir145 wrote:
Red Stripe wrote:Here's my Game 7 pitching rotation

1st inning: Trevor Hoffman
2nd inning: Huston Street
3rd inning: Scott Linebrink
4th inning: Billy Wagner
5th inning: Chad Cordero
6th inning: Cliff Politte
7th inning: Jason Isringhausen
8th inning: Todd Jones
9th inning: Mariano Rivera

Batters won't be able to see enough of any of these guys to used there pitching. Plus the chances of one of these guys blowing up and having a horrific inning is pretty low.

But ya that's in my little fantasy world where I've always thought a team should try one day to pitch one guy per inning because I really think that could work out.

Anyway I'd probably take Johan for the AL and easily take the Rocket for the NL.

Cliff Politte? :-P The former Jay who failed in the closer role for us? :-P

Can't you find someone a bit better? :-b


Check out his numbers man, you'll be surprised. Plus I see the White Sox a lot on TV thanks to WGN so I've seen him pitch a lot. He's had a damn good season, the best MR in the AL this year IMO.
Image
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 4112
Joined: 12 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby raiders_umpire » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:36 am

game 7 of the World Series,,, i will take John Smoltz hands down over the rest.... he is a machine in the playoffs and will keep his team in the game, whether he has great stuff that night or not.... the young guys(willis, santana, zambrano, peavy, beckett, etc.) all have the stuff to pitch a complete game shutout for you as well,,, but i would still want smoltz on my team on the hill for game 7....
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Postby BronXBombers51 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:42 am

Am I wrong in saying that if Colon gets rocked once before the end of the season, the Cy Young could go to Mariano Rivera?

I'm not saying that I agree with it, because I don't like giving relievers the award, but based on the fact that the voters don't have a stand out candidate and Rivera has had probably his best season, is it that farfetched?

The question this thread poses is kind of ridiculous if you're going to base your Cy Young on it. There are plenty of people I'd like to pitch Game 7 for me, but that doesn't mean they are in the Cy Young race this year.

I'd gladly take Randy Johnson, Curt Schilling, Roy Halladay, etc. But that doesn't mean those guys deserve the Cy Young.
25
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 11949
(Past Year: 54)
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: unioreimi and 7 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Oct. 25
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact