Game 7, who do you want pitching for you? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Game 7, who do you want pitching for you?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Game 7, who do you want pitching for you?

Postby bellings » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:32 pm

The Cy Young is the award for the best pitcher in each league, right? In order to figure out who the best pitcher is, all you have to ask yourself is who you would want on the mound in Game 7 of the World Series.

In the National League, at least it is a hard choice. You've got Carpenter, Clemens, Willis, and Pedro. I'd probably go with Pedro, but I can see arguments for the others.

But in the American League, is there any rational human being that would not chose Santana? It's not even close. Do you know anyone that would pitch Colón instead of Santana?

Santana should be the Cy Young winner, hands down. Out of all of the major stats, wins has to be the one that the pitcher has the least direct control over, and yet every year it seems to be the deciding factor. That's just stupid.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Game 7, who do you want pitching for you?

Postby Yoda » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:01 pm

bellings wrote:The Cy Young is the award for the best pitcher in each league, right? In order to figure out who the best pitcher is, all you have to ask yourself is who you would want on the mound in Game 7 of the World Series.

In the National League, at least it is a hard choice. You've got Carpenter, Clemens, Willis, and Pedro. I'd probably go with Pedro, but I can see arguments for the others.

But in the American League, is there any rational human being that would not chose Santana? It's not even close. Do you know anyone that would pitch Colón instead of Santana?

Santana should be the Cy Young winner, hands down. Out of all of the major stats, wins has to be the one that the pitcher has the least direct control over, and yet every year it seems to be the deciding factor. That's just stupid.

Game 7 of the Ws I'd go with RJ in the AL and Clemens in the NL.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby BOOF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:12 pm

Yoda wrote:
bellings wrote:The Cy Young is the award for the best pitcher in each league, right? In order to figure out who the best pitcher is, all you have to ask yourself is who you would want on the mound in Game 7 of the World Series.

Pedro left the AL for a reason. If he was the AL starter I could see him as the best, but not the best to pitch to NYY, BOS or LAA. If you were going to walk them out there tomorrow as if they hadn't pitched for 4 days, I go with the lefties Santana and Willis, who both have a higher VORP than Pedro. I leave out Clemens because of his back and Carpenter because I just don't believe in him in a playoff setting. Willis has done horribly in the playoffs before, but I think he's proven he's ready.
http://boof.com
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mweir145 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 6:40 pm

Roy Halladay will be fine by October (he might even be fine right now), you would obviously pick him.

Though of course, I believe the AL Cy Young goes to Santana this year.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 85)

Postby blankman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:10 pm

I'd want Randy Johnson pitching for me, but he's clearly not a Cy candidate.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby bleach168 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:12 pm

Not Clemens... he has a terrible track record when it comes to Game 7's.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 52)

Postby wrveres » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:55 pm

Peavy ;-D
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 1155)

Postby CubsFan7724 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:33 pm

If you want a lefthander, you take Johan, no question. Randy Johnson isn't nearly as dominant as he once was.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby HiddenIdentity » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:37 pm

BOOF wrote:
Yoda wrote:

Pedro left the AL for a reason. If he was the AL starter I could see him as the best, but not the best to pitch to NYY, BOS or LAA. If you were going to walk them out there tomorrow as if they hadn't pitched for 4 days, I go with the lefties Santana and Willis, who both have a higher VORP than Pedro. I leave out Clemens because of his back and Carpenter because I just don't believe in him in a playoff setting. Willis has done horribly in the playoffs before, but I think he's proven he's ready.

Oh man! A higher VORP!!! That makes them no-doubters ;-D
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby Pedantic » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:49 pm

There could be any number of pitchers that one might want to start a single deciding game. Contrary to what is implied here, the Cy isn't decided by one start. There's a difference between dominating over the course of a season and dominating a single start. In the NL, for instance, I'd probably want Jake Peavy out there. Or Mark Prior. Or A.J. Burnett. Or Josh Beckett. Or Carlos Zambrano. Or any number of pitchers that have the ability to absolutely shut down the opposing team in a start. However, you don't hear them mentioned as Cy Young candidates because they haven't been able to extend that dominance to an entire season, for many reasons which aren't really that important.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers