Any1 into Baseball Cards? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

Any1 into Baseball Cards?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Any1 into Baseball Cards?

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:43 pm

Do any of you guys collect trading cards? Back in the day (10 years ago) there was a card collecting craze that swept through this country. I have 2 Alex Rodriguez Rookie cards - they are those "4 sports" brand of card - and he is in his High School team jersey. I also have some Tops insert of a rookie card of A-Rod that is a Gold card (I remember they used to randomly make gold versions of cards) so I dont really know how much they are worth.....anyone care to take a guess?

Also I wanted to know if there is anywhere online you can buy boxes of new unopened cards? I tried looking on ebay but couldn't find anything....?
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:51 pm

Back in the day (more than 10 years ago for me, probably around 1990 or so) I used to collect cards. I've got thousands, though I haven't collected in years. My most valuable card would have to be one of the few vintage cards I have from the 50's and 60's or (used to be at least) the 1989 Upper Deck Ken Griffey Jr. Rookie card. Used to be worth up over 100 bucks. Probably isn't worth 25 these days. :-/
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby bigken117 » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:45 pm

If you let me know the #s on the back of the cards, I would be more than glad to look them up for you.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby RynMan » Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:48 pm

bigken117 wrote:If you let me know the #s on the back of the cards, I would be more than glad to look them up for you.

I'm at work right now, but I will definately take you up on that offer when i get home!
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:13 pm

I'm pretty sure you can buy boxes of new unopened cards on the card company's online website like companies such as Topps, Fleer, Playoff, Upper Deck, etc.

And I'm pretty sure any rookie card around 10-15 years ago of a stud type player nowadays(especially Arod) is worth a lot of money. Obviously rookie cards aren't worth much anymore though thanks to mass production of sporting cards. :-t
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:01 am

No offense guys, but I'm going to move this to our Baseball Card Forum :-) . ;-D

To answer the question, yes, I have a decent collection of cards. Quit collecting awhile back due to waaaaaaaaay to many inserts, special cards, etc., on the market. Cost also got ridiculous. :-P
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigken117 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 7:41 am

No offense taken Dark Lord, I expected it to be.

I quit buying packs with regularity when I discovered singles on eBay. That and the cost. I've been poor lately with a new mouth that just discovered how to scream. But my wife still buys me packs for my Christmas stocking, and if we're cruising around Target I might get some of the clearance packs.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Re: Any1 into Baseball Cards?

Postby birdbrains » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:00 am

RynMan wrote:Do any of you guys collect trading cards? Back in the day (10 years ago) there was a card collecting craze that swept through this country. I have 2 Alex Rodriguez Rookie cards - they are those "4 sports" brand of card - and he is in his High School team jersey. I also have some Tops insert of a rookie card of A-Rod that is a Gold card (I remember they used to randomly make gold versions of cards) so I dont really know how much they are worth.....anyone care to take a guess?

Also I wanted to know if there is anywhere online you can buy boxes of new unopened cards? I tried looking on ebay but couldn't find anything....?

there are plenty on ebay and beckett.com
birdbrains
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 109)

Postby SpecialFNK » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:15 am

i love collecting baseball cards, mostly rookie cards and mostly from late 80's-early/mid 90's while also having alot mid/late 90's to present.
one thing ive found is that alot of rookie cards for star players/future hall of fame players from the late 80's-early 90's are not much money. one perfect example is 87 Topps Traded Greg Maddux = $3.00
even cards from Griffey. his 89 UD is still nice, but his cards from Donruss/Score/Fleer/Topps/Bowman are all $6.00 or under.
i used to have somewhat of an obsession. ive even spent hundreds of dollars on cards from shop at home. one time i bought this huge box of unopened packs of cards from all various sports. i think there was something like 200-250 packs. it was like heaven spending hours opening up the packs, and i pulled some awesome cards. one card company that i cant even seem to find listed anywhere is Ted Williams card company from 1994. couple cads from there are Derek Jeter and Michael Jordan. i sldo have a card from 1992 Front Row and its Derek Jeter when he was first drafted by the Yankees.
i also have to watch how often i go into the card shops even now, because every time i go in i spend like $50 on either single cards or packs. ofcorse i guess its not that hard seeing how alot of good packs are getting so expensive.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

collecting sports cards.....

Postby blindmelon16 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:13 am

I'm 17, and i've been collecting sports cards since i was 8 years old. I don't buy a lot of packs anymore, but i have a lot of rookies and such that are worth some money. however, i am trying to sell them because i could really use some money right now. I also have quite a few autographed baseballs by the tampa bay devil rays. feel free to IM me or whatever if you happen to want to know what i have to sell.
Metalcore forever! Corrosion of Conformity rocks. And fantasy sports are my life. I happen to be 17, and I'm not an idiot.
blindmelon16
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia