12 years of futility. - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

12 years of futility.

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

12 years of futility.

Postby moochman » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:30 pm

The Tigers have guaranteed that they will finish with a losing record for the 12th year in a row. Yeah. 12 straight years this sad sack organization hasn't been able to field a team that could win as much as it lost. :,-(

Dave Dombrowski has announced that there will be no parade.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:29 am

Some bright sides to the season (there aren't many):
1)Granderson looking good at the MLB level, although I really hope they don't go into next season expecting him to leadoff. His low walk rate and inexperience will hurt him if that's the case.
2)Improved production in the minor leagues, particularly Zumaya and Verlander. They still need more depth in a big way, but this organization has not seen talent like Zumaya and Verlander at any one given time in quite a while.
3)Polanco and Ordonez. I am confident that if you put some good hitters around them, these guys will anchor a productive lineup. With Guillen hurt, this team doesn't have any other consistent offensive threats to put around them.
4)Fernando Rodney. He shouldn't be the closer next year, but he has looked terrific for the most part despite this being his comeback year from Tommy John surgery and would make a fine 7th or 8th inning setup guy.

I'd rather not think too much of the bad points of the season right now. There are just too many. Too many area of concern going into next season. If this isn't a very, very busy offseason, 12 straight will not be the end.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:22 am

mcqfesijiba wrote:Some bright sides to the season (there aren't many):
1)Granderson
2)Improved production in the minor leagues, particularly Zumaya and Verlander.
3)Polanco and Ordonez.
4)Fernando Rodney. He shouldn't be the closer next year, but he has looked terrific for the most part despite this being his comeback year from Tommy John surgery and would make a fine 7th or 8th inning setup guy.

I'd rather not think too much of the bad points of the season right now. There are just too many. Too many area of concern going into next season. If this isn't a very, very busy offseason, 12 straight will not be the end.

I don't know that I can muster up the faith to but into point #2. When I see these guys come up a perform, I'll belive it. Granderson does look to have promise, but I have to see it happen in April and May, when it matters. Hits are cheaper now, just ask Pena. Rodney is going to be a solid 8th inning type guy. There's always next year, brother, always next year.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:02 am

Prior to about 1989, this franchise was a consistent winner/contender. Of course, that was back before Ilitch had anything to do with this team as owner Coincidence? Hmm, I'm not so sure.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Tigers