SVCD and VCD's Any Advice - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

SVCD and VCD's Any Advice

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

SVCD and VCD's Any Advice

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:51 am

In case you guys don't know you can burn MPEGS and AVI's to Regular CD's and play them on most DVD players.

The problem is VCD's don't play on my DVD player but SVCD's do. SVCD's are about twice as big though. So I need to use 4 disks rather then 2 and its a pain splitting them and all.

anyways any advice previous experience?

Its pretty cool. Especially for burning southpark episodes and stuff to watch on your home computer.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: SVCD and VCD's Any Advice

Postby PlayingWithFire » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:03 am

acsguitar wrote:In case you guys don't know you can burn MPEGS and AVI's to Regular CD's and play them on most DVD players.

The problem is VCD's don't play on my DVD player but SVCD's do. SVCD's are about twice as big though. So I need to use 4 disks rather then 2 and its a pain splitting them and all.

Its pretty cool. Especially for burning southpark episodes and stuff to watch on your home computer.

eh, go buy a $40 DVD player that's made in China in Wal-Mart and I guarantee that it's VCD compatible. How long the machine will last on the other hand... ;-7

sorry, no advice whatsoever how to save you some CD-R. But I did grow up watch VCD in China(the quality is a bit ehh, but it's cheap)

good luck to your problem
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:08 am

PlayingWithFire wrote:
acsguitar wrote:In case you guys don't know you can burn MPEGS and AVI's to Regular CD's and play them on most DVD players.

eh, go buy a $40 DVD player that's made in China in Wal-Mart and I guarantee that it's VCD compatible. How long the machine will last on the other hand... ;-7

sorry, no advice whatsoever how to save you some CD-R. But I did grow up watch VCD in China(the quality is a bit ehh, but it's cheap)

I was gonna say that. Just get a DVD player that plays them. Should say it right on the tray. ;-D
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 21, 2005 11:35 am

Lofunzo wrote:
PlayingWithFire wrote:

I was gonna say that. Just get a DVD player that plays them. Should say it right on the tray. ;-D

Well the SVCD plays fine. but the VCD doens't. I think its cause I didn't convert the AVI to MPEG first. I think I need to do this in order to get it to work. Will try later.
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:41 pm

i would consult videohelp.com with this question but it may just be that your dvd player doesnt support vcd. i wouldnt buy a new dvd player though. dvd burners and media are pretty cheap right now so thats the route i would go.

also, i am pretty sure you need to convert to mpeg first. i used to use tmpgenc for that until i got a dvd burner.
back from the dead
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:14 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:i would consult videohelp.com with this question but it may just be that your dvd player doesnt support vcd. i wouldnt buy a new dvd player though. dvd burners and media are pretty cheap right now so thats the route i would go.

also, i am pretty sure you need to convert to mpeg first. i used to use tmpgenc for that until i got a dvd burner.

Nice yea I saw tmpgenc. I figure that was the problem. I can't see it playing SVCD but not VCD it must be that I didn't convert from AVI.

Anyways thanks man!!
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Return to General Talk