Batista might be out as closer? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Batista might be out as closer?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Batista might be out as closer?

Postby Mercer Boy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:55 pm

I don't have a definite article on that, but they brought in Frasor to close the game out tonight. Batista has been terrible for the last month or so (just ask a few of my teams :-[), so I wouldn't doubt it.

He might be good for some cheapo saves during the last week, no? :-?
The One, The Only, The Incomparable Mercer Boy.
MySpace blog (updated 6/21 - Pirates walkout.)
Mercer Boy
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby godallahstar » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:34 pm

wait - you have him on your team and havent noticed he's pitched the last 3 days before tonight?

they couldn't possibly be giving him a night off, could they?
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:37 pm

I read something along those lines this morning ..

I didn't bother to share, cus it's Canada.

Nobody cares about Canada.
I'd bet you would be hard pressed to find Canadians who care about Canada ;-7

Anybody remember that movie with John Candy where we invaded Canada? Wouldn't that be so cool. We could put a 7-11 and a Jack in the Box next to every curling venue. Some fat hag with a mustache would get a Nike contract. ESPN would have a show called "curling tonight". It could be part of the Canadian Trifecta, hosted by Celine Dion, where they do stories on all of the Hocky teams that bailed and went to snow filled Florida. ..

Hey did anybody hear that Miggy Batista got removed as closer?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:23 pm

wrveres wrote:I read something along those lines this morning ..

Anybody remember that movie with John Candy where we invaded Canada? Wouldn't that be so cool. We could put a 7-11 and a Jack in the Box next to every curling venue. Some fat hag with a mustache would get a Nike contract. ESPN would have a show called "curling tonight". It could be part of the Canadian Trifecta, hosted by Celine Dion, where they do stories on all of the Hocky teams that bailed and went to snow filled Florida. ..

:-?

Anyway, I have no idea about Batista, and I could really care less whether he lost his job. Hopefully he did.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Weir

Postby bigjimblue » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:28 pm

If you could care less, then it means you do care somewhat!
bigjimblue
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Weir

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:38 pm

bigjimblue wrote:If you could care less, then it means you do care somewhat!

Yes, unfortunately I do... :-/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:48 pm

course he cares he's a jays fan. :-b but i am going to stick my head out there and say BRANDON LEAGUE FOR CLOSER! ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mweir145 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:00 am

dyuen87 wrote:

course he cares he's a jays fan. :-b but i am going to stick my head out there and say BRANDON LEAGUE FOR CLOSER! ;-D

He gives up too many long balls right now at this point in his career... :-/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 12:10 am

Wr, I'm taking it that you are drunk.., No? ;-)
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:02 am

Loonie lifts off to 85
Surging oil and natural gas prices propelled the Canadian dollar to 85.57 cents (U.S.) yesterday, its highest level in more than 13 years, a jump that is sure to sting manufacturers and could cause the Bank of Canada to hold off interest-rate increases after October.

gibbons is saying batista is still the closer.

Jays sticking with Batista as closer
Jays sticking with Batista as closer

TORONTO (CP) - Miguel Batista wasn't the Toronto Blue Jays' closer Tuesday night but it had nothing to do with his spate of blown saves recently.

''He's pitched three days in a row so he won't be in there,'' said manager John Gibbons.

As for Batista's long-term future in the role, Gibbons wasn't initially forthcoming with his thoughts before finally relenting.

''He's still our closer,'' said Gibbons.

''He's a big part of our team. You win together, you lose together.''

Batista blew his eighth save of the season Monday in a 7-5 loss to the Seattle Mariners, serving up a grand slam in the ninth to Richie Sexson.

It was his seventh blown save since July 8 and fourth since Aug. 23, leaving some wondering about his suitability for the role. Batista has refused to talk with media after the games and has only sporadically granted interviews during the season, leaving others to answer for him.

As he did following Batista's previous blown save, in a 6-5 11-inning loss to Tampa Bay on Sept. 11, Gibbons pointed to general fatigue as the culprit.

''Guys when they get tired they lose their location,'' said Gibbons. ''What happens is they got reach back and give a little extra to maintain what they got and your location suffers but you maintain your velocity.''

Relievers Vinnie Chulk and Jason Frasor went through something similar last year, fading down the stretch after solid seasons, and Gibbons believes that's what's plaguing Batista in his first year as a closer.

''He's done a pretty darn good job,'' said Gibbons. ''We talk about Vinnie and Frasor last year who as the season wore on they got tired and their numbers suffered.

''It takes its toll.''

AWARDS: The Blue Jays handed out three organizational honours Tuesday, giving the Al LaMacchia Scouting Award to Demerius Pittman, the Bobby Mattick Player Development Award to Rick Langford and the Community Service Award to Syracuse SkyChiefs outfielder Justin Singleton.

Pittman, 33, was responsible for scouting and signing left-hander Ricky Romero, the club's first-round pick this season. He's been with the Jays as an area scout since 1999 and now handles Southern California and Hawaii.

Langford has served as a pitching coach in the Jays system at both the major and minor league levels since 1996, working with Dunedin since 2003. The list of Jays he has coached includes Roy Halladay, Dave Bush, Brandon League, Dustin McGowan and Shaun Marcum.

Singleton, the son of former Montreal Expo Ken Singleton, played for Toronto's triple-A affiliate Syracuse this season and participated in the Onondaga County public library summer reading program aimed at improving youth literacy. He also hosted and ran baseball skills clinics at Alliance Bank Stadium throughout the summer.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 194)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers