Here we go again: Hurricane Rita - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Here we go again: Hurricane Rita

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Stripe » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:19 pm

Hey look at the brightside though, if all the data gets erased we could start over and everyone has an equal chance to take the most posts title from Madison. :-b
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Phew...

Postby JTWood » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:23 pm

menyak wrote:Seriously though, the datacenter is supposed to withstand an F5 grade tornado, so I hope it can deal with Rita as well. And after all, it is *not* in Houston... :-°

So, the datacenter can handle an F5 tornado, huh? That's all find and dandy, but how about the wires outside of the building? Or the transmitter array on the rooftop? Or whatever it is that they use to actually transmit the data?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but enquiring minds and all that, you know?

O:-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby menyak » Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:32 pm

JTWood wrote:
menyak wrote:Seriously though, the datacenter is supposed to withstand an F5 grade tornado, so I hope it can deal with Rita as well. And after all, it is *not* in Houston... :-°

So, the datacenter can handle an F5 tornado, huh? That's all find and dandy, but how about the wires outside of the building? Or the transmitter array on the rooftop? Or whatever it is that they use to actually transmit the data?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but enquiring minds and all that, you know?

I'll tell you on Sunday. :-D
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BOOF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:35 am

wrveres wrote:
BOOF wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:I never said globabl warming doesn't exist, I'm just saying its silly that the sole reason theres a rash of hurricanes is global warming. I

Is anyone other than the "industry, money grubbing-freaks" claiming that someone else is claiming that there is a rash of hurricanes solely credited to global climatic instability?

It always cracks me up when people sit there on their IBM® Computer, with an Intel® processor, running Microsoft® software .. claim that the same corporations who create all of the jobs in this world, that allow you to purchase these luxuries, are evil.

I imagine later on tonight you will go to Blockbuster® to rent a movie, pickup some popcorn made by General Mills®, kick off your Nike's® and then watch the movie on your Sony® TV from the comfort of your Lazy Boy® ... no?

If its too much for you to handle, I am sure Ethiopia would love to have you as a citizen ... :-t

WR, hit a hot bottom did I? Or were you just envolved in a conversation with Yankee fans? ;-) Anyway, what I meant with the quotations marks was to ridicule the other guy using the "enviro-freak" term. Speaking of environment, you can't help but be affected by it in ways you can't control. Doesn’t mean I can't have a conscious that says " No I do not like corporations that cause harm in the name of profit. Yes I am happy about some of the stuff we have come up with but, we need to incorporate a more sustainable philosophy in the life cycle of these products and services." And I have an AMD chipset, among other differences ;-)

Oh and don't make it sound like you can't get all that stuff in another country (so many Americans think the world revolves around them, do you realize how self centered we are?) As if much of that is even produced in America anyway.
Last edited by BOOF on Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://boof.com
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby menyak » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:17 am

menyak wrote:
JTWood wrote:

I'll tell you on Sunday. :-D

...or maybe on Monday, if, for some reason, it's not possible over the weekend. O:-)
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:21 am

menyak wrote:Every since Rita's been starting to grow, I was thinking to myself: Texas. Wasn't there something about Texas? Alright - cows, the President, oil, Madison... :-?

Now it finally dawned upon me - the Cafe is hosted in Texas! :-D

I just checked, and we live in Dallas, right beside Fort Worth. So Mad, if you see the WebHamster floating by, would you please rescue him? :-b

Seriously though, the datacenter is supposed to withstand an F5 grade tornado, so I hope it can deal with Rita as well. And after all, it is *not* in Houston... :-°

Glad to see I made the list. :-D You forgot our trucks and guns though. Lol. :-b

So you mean I can really give us a visit? :-B Kewl! :-) That actually would be kind of cool to check it out. Interesting...... :-)

Yes, I'll save Hammy if I see him. I like the little guy. :-) ;-D

Ok guys, some updates of what they are saying on local television.

Galveston is a ghost town. Seems totally deserted except for a few news crews and the National Guard. ;-D

People have been running out of gas on their way out of Houston. Average speed out of Houston is roughly 10 miles per hour since it's so clogged up. All highways are northbound only, all exits are closed. Gas stations are all out of gas. However, Bush has authorized gas trucks to start near Galveston and refuel the drivers who are stuck on the side of the road with no gas. ;-D

A couple of stations have reported that anyone who willingly stays behind that has children, will be hit with fines and jailtime for "child endangerment". ;-D ;-D

That's really all the big stuff I have heard about today. Some of my relatives have already made it here, others are already north of Houston and will be here sometime Friday, so looks like my family will be safe. :-) Hope everyone else who's got family down here has the same news. ;-D

Oh, and they are saying that by the time Rita gets to my neck of the woods, it could still be a class 1 hurricane. Doesn't sound too good, but at the same time I'm not really all that worried. Wind and rain from a class 1 really isn't too bad when we're pretty used to seeing a tornado here and there. We'll just have to wait and see though. ;-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby BOOF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 1:59 am

wrveres wrote:Its kind of like one of our members here .. Who is anti-war, and anti Military, but has no quams about cashing his paycheck every two weeks from a defense contractor .. :-t

There is fallacy in both ways of looking at the issue WR, in your direction and this member.
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby BOOF » Fri Sep 23, 2005 2:16 am

StlSluggers wrote:
Didn't you prove your original statement wrong with your own words? Also, people will likely move into areas formerly used for producing food.

No. After I posted it, I realized that I didn't put in "adversely" there. I didn't feel like editing it, and now look at the price of my laziness.

:-b

People wouldn't move into places where food would be produced. Good ol' economics will handle that. If the land is still good for food, farmers will have an incentive to purchase the land from homeowners - or to not sell - and to produce a profitable good.

Good bless supply and demand!

Anyways, my point is that like the population on the coastal regions, farmland would just be relocated....

Relocated? Time to take some ag classes.

Now to talk about crackpot theories...Wow that one makes a lot of assumptions based on little or no empirical data. I'd call that blind faith...Your argument focus and strength here but this side discussion would be better suited for another time. This thing is about to hit.
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby menyak » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:09 am

Probably time to lock down this thread while we still like it, as I sense that the hurricane in here is also slowly but surely building. :-)

If we could only get rid of Rita just as easily. :-B

(Anyone who wants to please just open a new thread about the lady.)
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk