Do Not Read on Psychodelics - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Do Not Read on Psychodelics

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 3 run homer » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:47 pm

This topic should've come with a warning . . . "Warning Boring Read clic at your own risk"

That being said, it was interesting
[URL=http://www.imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
Hail to the Redskins, Hail to victory, Braves on the warpath fight for ol' DC
3 run homer
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby acsguitar » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:53 pm

3 run homer wrote:This topic should've come with a warning . . . "Warning Boring Read clic at your own risk"

Your sig is terrible :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:16 pm

acsguitar wrote:
3 run homer wrote:This topic should've come with a warning . . . "Warning Boring Read clic at your own risk"

For real, go find your frog somewhere else, he's not over here.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Simulacrum » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:22 pm

Red Stripe wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Yeah, maybe on the football side you guys have sissy froo-froo "warnings" on all your boring threads, but here on the baseball side we prefer to keep our topics nice and manly- which means no warnings permitted. :^

I like your frog siggie though. I just don't get it. What's the story with that siggie? :-?
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Postby JustAnotherYanksFan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 10:07 pm

I thought the article was interesting, but there were definitely a couple parts of it I had issues with. First of all, he says that the structure of the universe (and therefore life) can only exist because certain physical constants are exactly the values they are. But he's looking at it backwards. BECAUSE we exist, the universe MUST be this way.

In A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson mentions something similar (although in a slightly different context). He that the chances of all the tiny little coincidences of reproduction and evolution coming together to form YOU (the individual reader) are practically infinitesimal. But of course, because you exist, the odds of all these things occurring is 100%.

So in a way, it is a cool thing that different aspects of the phsyical universe had to line up right for everything to exist....but on the other hand, the fact that we exist means that there's no way it could be otherwise.

The other thing I had a problem with was his discussion of the mind/brain question, where he basically acted like it was a settled matter that there's no extra consciousness of "self" that exists beyond the brain. Now, I'll admit I'm not an expert on this, but I'm pretty sure that there are still a lot of things waiting to be discovered about exactly how the mind works. I don't view the fact that people have out-of-body experiences as evidence that there's no additional SELF beyond the brain. (Sorry if I'm not being totally clear with this, but it's a bit difficult to articulate. Another way to think of it is this: If your body were destroyed, but at the exact instant it was destroyed an exact replica of you were created, with all your memories and characteristics and everything being identical, then would it still be you? Or would you die when the other body is destroyed, and this would be a completely different person? If you think it's a different person, then that implies that there's some additional awareness or definition of self that exists beyond the purely physical....something roughly equivalent to a soul, though that's not necessarily a perfect way of thinking about it.)

Whew. I do love thinking about these sorts of things though... :-b
JustAnotherYanksFan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Minor League Skilz » Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:39 am

_Simulacrum_ wrote:
Red Stripe wrote:
acsguitar wrote:

Yeah, maybe on the football side you guys have sissy froo-froo "warnings" on all your boring threads, but here on the baseball side we prefer to keep our topics nice and manly- which means no warnings permitted. :^

I like your frog siggie though. I just don't get it. What's the story with that siggie? :-?

Great use of the :^ emotion.

Good find ACS. I have a friend who is a philosopher and he will get a kick out of it.
Minor League Skilz
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:42 am

You guys should check out the main page to that website. lots of cool stuff ;-D
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Simulacrum » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:28 pm

Minor League Skilz wrote:
Great use of the :^ emotion.

You just don't see much :^ around here ;-D

This thread reminded me of a couple good quotes I'd like to drop on you guys-

"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

"God is dead," Nick said. "They found his carcass in 2019. Floating out in space near Alpha".
"They found the remains of an organism advanced several thousand times over what we are," Charley said. "And it evidently could create habitable worlds and populate them with living organisms, derived from itself. But that doesn't prove it was God."
"I think it was God."

"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

Let your brain chew on those a little B-)
Simulacrum
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Chief Pixel PusherCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter

Previous

Return to General Talk