Last place...Help/Suggestions? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Last place...Help/Suggestions?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Last place...Help/Suggestions?

Postby daveed » Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:35 pm

Hi,
This is my first time playing fantasy bball and I've
been in dead last since my league has started.

I've been reading this board and enjoying the insights
you all share.

So this is my team:
1B- Konerko, Sweeney
2B- Biggio
SS-Tejada
3B-Beltre,Burroughs
C- Pudge
OF- D.Ward,Burrell,Cedeno,Green,Erstad, Everrett
SP- Martinez,Dempster, Padilla, Burnett, Beckett, B.Smith, Rauch
RP- Percival, Gagne

I've been tweaking my team like crazy since the league started.
I am improving but I am still getting smoked. I know I have a
lot Marlins P's, but they're damn good. btw, my league is h to h.

Any reccomendations for me?
Thanks
daveed

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

solid

Postby cwebb » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:12 pm

Your team looks sold but you don't have any studs. You'll have to risk a lot by picking up free agents or try to acquire fantasy studs who are underachieving now for guys that put up great numbers now.

Try to get a closer from free agents! You need more saves and maybe you can trade one of your starters for an offense guy and replace your pitcher with Fogg, Lawrence, Prior, Astacio or other pitchers on hot streaks (repeat all season long, and drop them before next seasons draft)
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Mon Apr 15, 2002 8:19 pm

Hi daveed - good to see you on the board. Basically, an evaluation of your roster depends on a couple factors, namely:

How many teams are in your league? If there are 20, this is an amazing team; if there are 10, you're still in decent shape, but rising to the top won't be qwuite as easy.

What's your league's scoring system? A number of h2h leagues overvalue starting pitching compared with hitters or relievers, in which case your troubles probably begin and end with Pedro's erratic start.

Anyway, let us know a bit more about your league so we'll be able to go into more detail. On the whole, though, if you're in a relatively "standard" league, I like the guys on your roster and think you won't stay in last place for long.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby daveed » Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:41 pm

Thanks for your replies.

I'm in a 10 team league. Starting pitching definitely seems like
where it is at. Here's how the scoring work for pitching: (inn=2,w=10,cg=5,k=1,bb=-0.5,h=-0.5,ER=-1
save=10)

I think I am missing a stud as well.
I've had some interest in Pedro...but I am hesitant to
trade him with the rest of my pitching roster.

-daveed
daveed

Postby Chicago » Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:23 pm

If I had Pedro right now, I'd be trying to deal him for a package of a pitcher like A.J. Burnett and midline offense threat in the nieghborhood of Mike Sweeney.

Not everyone one will agree with this--some think Pedro will return to his dominating form--but I think despite whatever pitching genius he's supplied with, his arm can't keep up. I say find a believer and bleed him! Go after team owners who are desperate for pitching who think Pedro will be their Randy Johnson savior.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Dan » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:12 am

I truly like your team!

Chicago may be right and you could turn out great in doing this and find a guy who takes Pedro for a high price. Anyway, it could turn out the other way, Pedro could get back on track and you are the odd guy...

I think if you really ge ta high price for him, then do it...but dont sell him at any costs, then you could be regreting it for the rest of the season...especially as your team looks fine and you can be patient making any moves.
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:56 am

Seems like the question of what to do with Pedro has been the focus of many fantasy teams, as well as entire leagues, lately. I still believe he'll be a fantasy force this year, but given your league's scoring and the uncertainty surrounding him, I agree with Chicago: start shopping him. Along with the reasons already given, the 5 points your league awards for complete games clinch it for me - an extra 5 points can look awfully good in tight games, and it's unlikely that Pedro will be doing much of anything but showering during the final innings.

I'd look for a top-of-the-line starter with good k/ip numbers (start in the Tim Hudson area and see what happens) plus a second player. Be flexible here: a good bat, an up-and-coming starter or a closer (who doesn't have to be top tier) could all help you.

Anyway, stick with your guns: you have a solid team that shouldn't be in the cellar for long, especially once Percival returns.

By the way, how many pitchers do you start, and in what combination of starters and relievers. Also, does your league have a games or innings pitched maximum?
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby daveed » Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:57 pm

Hi all,

thanks again for your advice.

You can start 7 pitchers.. I believe in any combo
of starters and relievers. I've been starting 6 + 1 closer
since percy is out. But plan to start him when he comes back.
I don't believe there is any max innings/games pitched.

What do you think about this trade: Martinez,Biggio,Everrett for
Buerhle,MarlonAnderson,Edmonds?
I haven't put anything out there yet but I'd be interested to hear
you thoughts.

Also what do you think about dropping Cedeno for
C. Patterson or J. Encarnacion on FAs?

Thanks- daveed
daveed

OF

Postby cwebb » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:30 pm

Patterson is a nice option, Encarnacion would also work for the next three weeks until Griffey is back from injury!

Patterson will give you better stuff than Cedeno and he'll get a nice number of steals!
cwebb
Bouncer
Bouncer

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Arlo » Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:57 pm

As far as the trade is concerned, I don't think this would help you. Buehrle isn't enough for a sure thing to justify trading Pedro, Anderson is a downgrade, and your outfield is more than stacked without Edmonds.

The real area where you can improve is by changing your pitching strategy. Your league doesn't set a limit on games pitched or innings, and gives you a fairly substantial 2 points per inning pitched. Having a solid pitching strategy under these rules will be even mor eimportant than in other leagues.

Let's do some quick calculations: Mariano Rivera, one of the top closers, would give you around 226 points if he repeats last year's excellent stats. Garrett Stephenson, nobody's top choice for the Cy Young, would give you 462 (or so - I'm rounding here), or more than twice Rivera's score. Still, I'll wager Rivera was picked a lot earlier than Stephenson in your draft...

Therefore, Gagne and Percival have to go. I probably wouldn't drop them, though, since their perceived value is likely high. Trade them, see if you can get an upgrade somewhere else, and hope your opponents start them often...

You'll now have two extra slots. The best way to go here, if your league plays weekly games, would be to devote these slots to rotating pitchers: pick up free agents who look decent and have two starts that week, and slip them into your starting lineup. If your games are shorter, I'd still pick up at least one starter (a 2b-ss would be perfect for the second available slot) who will give you workhorse numbers: a knuckleballer like Wakefield who will
eat up innings might work well.

Your hitting is already solid, and your pitching staff looks good, too (although the Marlins might cost you some wins). Use your pitchers well and you'll win a lot of games in the very near future. A few minor tweaks along the line, and you'll be in the title hunt, not in the cellar. :-D
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers