Storm brewing in my league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Storm brewing in my league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Sultans of Squat » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:08 pm

josebach wrote:We had weekly line-up changes this year and it completely stopped the problem in our league.

Yeah, that would do it. But it might be a bit too restrictive though. And one would hate to see a playoff loss due to an injury early in the week or guys sitting w/out even an opportunity to swap for a last minute replacement/backup.

Keep in mind, if he's starting that many pitchers, more likely than not, he's killing his ERA and WHIP, so it's kind of a trade off.

Yeah, it's a tradeoff, but it's a good tradeoff if his regular staff is clearly inferior.

Yeah, this is why I especially don't like Yahoo's implementation of H2H -- it's just way too limiting on what you can set up. Not sure how other sites do H2H, but Yahoo sucks w/ this.

I think what you could've done (or maybe still can do) is agree w/ him to a max transaction limit just for this series and then turn that limit on and reset both your transaction counts to zero. Yes, you can edit transaction counts for individual teams although I'm not sure if you can still set a limit this late in the season.

In the future, maybe you can just do something like that every now and then (but at some agreed upon interval), and then do it for every single matchup during the playoffs.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Apollo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:23 pm

Did you agree on a specific number of innings for the limit? If so, you're set--as soon as he goes over it, he's broken the rules, and you can lock his roster. Just because the rule isn't in the Yahoo settings doesn't mean it isn't a rule (as long as you all agreed on it, which you did).

If you didn't choose a specific number and just sort of agreed to "not spot start," you might be kinda stuck.
Apollo
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:57 pm

In my league, which is roto, we agreed to a 1600 IP max. However, the site we use doesn't handle IP limits, so I have to go in and replace rosters with dud pitchers when a team goes over. So far, two teams have done so and I will be the third.

Anyways, the point is that if you agreed to a specific rule before the season started on IP limits, it doesnt matter if the site you use doesnt support it. Everyone is expected to abide by the rules of the league and if someone does not, he will expect to pay the consequences. If no penalties were discussed, you might have to lock his roster and open a discussion on how to handle the situation with the other members of your league.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby chadlincoln » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:42 pm

I ended up freezing him this morning. He dropped 3 SP's for 3 more SP's. The guy doesn't even draft pitching. He goes all hitting then mass spot starts, giving up ERA and WHIP to be guaranteed wins and K's.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby BOOF » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:18 pm

chadlincoln wrote:I ended up freezing him this morning. He dropped 3 SP's for 3 more SP's. The guy doesn't even draft pitching. He goes all hitting then mass spot starts, giving up ERA and WHIP to be guaranteed wins and K's.
;-D
http://boof.com
BOOF Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby StlSluggers » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:04 pm

I'd say you made the right move. He knew what he was doing and the consequences of his actions.
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby AT » Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:40 pm

Agreed. He probably thinks you dicked him but at the same time you agreed on it, he should abide by it.

We made an agreement to allow spot starting all season but put a transaction limit of 1 per week in the playoffs and any team that broke it would have their team locked/roster benched and the player replaced. It's worked pretty good so far.
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:04 pm

I unfroze him to be nice. He did it again. I had to freeze him again, plus I dropped the guys from his roster that he picked up for tomorrow. We're having a HUGE arguement on the board. He's pretty much out of the league for next year. Right now he's frozen from Add/Dropping and trading.

I'm about to freeze him from posting too.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Matthias » Sun Sep 25, 2005 8:51 pm

maybe this was mentioned and i missed it, but has he passed his 40 transaction maximum already?
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Sun Sep 25, 2005 9:45 pm

Matthias wrote:maybe this was mentioned and i missed it, but has he passed his 40 transaction maximum already?

The transaction limit was put in because I coudln't put in an IP limit. If someone did normal transactions and got to the 40 mark, I'd bump it up. It was not until after I took out the transaction limit totally (and specifically reminded the league this wasn't an invitation to start mass spot starting) did he start doing this.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers