Storm brewing in my league... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Storm brewing in my league...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Storm brewing in my league...

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:00 am

Here's the scoop. Last year, the guy who won the league did so by mass spot starting after he was losing in every pitching category badly. He had more than triple the innings of the guy he was going against and won K's and wins.

So this year...

We decided to put an innings pitched limit this year to stop this. He agreed so did the rest of the league. Once we started the league, I found out you can't have head to head innings pitched limits (you can have minimum, not maximum for a week or for the year.) So I decided to put in 40 moves maximum to sort of control and bump that number up if someone legitimately made 40 moves and not mass starting moves.

So it's me and him in the championship this year. He's argued with me all year on this topic saying that if it were a rule, I should put it in the settings. There are no settings for this since it's head to head with an IP limit.

First day and he's already doing mass spot starting, almost to spite me. I've threatened to freeze his team from add's and drops if he does this all year. He hasn't done mass spot starting until now, against me, in the championship game.

Any advice?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby chris8 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:15 am

Tricky one. Ideally, the maximum moves rule should have been agreed on before the season started, but I understand from what you say why it wasn't.

When you put the maximum moves in, did the league agree (by vote or however), or was it simply your decision? If the league agreed to it, you have every right to lock his team from making moves once he reaches 40. If the league didn't agree, I think you have to bite the bullet and accept it, and make sure the rule is in place for next year.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:21 am

The league agreed not to spot start and to put in an IP limit so stop massive spot starting. IP limits aren't available in head to head so we put in maximum moves instead that would be adjusted as we go if needed for someone who is doing moves that aren't massive spot starting. People got there without massive spot starting, so I just took it off since nobody was doing it which was an open invitation for him to start doing it.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Yoda » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:25 am

chadlincoln wrote:The league agreed not to spot start and to put in an IP limit so stop massive spot starting. IP limits aren't available in head to head so we put in maximum moves instead that would be adjusted as we go if needed for someone who is doing moves that aren't massive spot starting. People got there without massive spot starting, so I just took it off since nobody was doing it which was an open invitation for him to start doing it.

What we do is cap the number of starts per week. It's easier to keep track of.

As far as your league goes, I think you can lock his team from spot starting if you all really agreed to do this before the season.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:28 am

Yoda wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:The league agreed not to spot start and to put in an IP limit so stop massive spot starting. IP limits aren't available in head to head so we put in maximum moves instead that would be adjusted as we go if needed for someone who is doing moves that aren't massive spot starting. People got there without massive spot starting, so I just took it off since nobody was doing it which was an open invitation for him to start doing it.

What we do is cap the number of starts per week. It's easier to keep track of.

As far as your league goes, I think you can lock his team from spot starting if you all really agreed to do this before the season.

How can you cap the starts? Is that a customizable setting in Yahoo?
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chris8 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:30 am

In that case, I see nothing wrong with putting the maximum moves back on, and locking anyone who reaches them. Would probably have been better not to take it off in the first place though!
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:31 am

chris8 wrote:

In that case, I see nothing wrong with putting the maximum moves back on, and locking anyone who reaches them. Would probably have been better not to take it off in the first place though!

Ya, it was understood that it was adjustable at the start. If someone legitimately reached the limit, we'd move it. I want people to make moves and be active.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:41 am

We had weekly line-up changes this year and it completely stopped the problem in our league.

Keep in mind, if he's starting that many pitchers, more likely than not, he's killing his ERA and WHIP, so it's kind of a trade off.
josebach
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby chris8 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:50 am

josebach wrote:
Keep in mind, if he's starting that many pitchers, more likely than not, he's killing his ERA and WHIP, so it's kind of a trade off.

Very good point. One of my leagues, my semi-final opponent did this. Not only did I win ERA & WHIP, but I also won WINS and Ks! :-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby chadlincoln » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:08 pm

chris8 wrote:
josebach wrote:

Very good point. One of my leagues, my semi-final opponent did this. Not only did I win ERA & WHIP, but I also won WINS and Ks! :-D

He's doing this after he's already blown up and lost ERA and WHIP. Now he's just doing it early. Here's the deal. For teams that have built up their pitching staff and try to do their best with hitting, it hurts them a lot. They can have no pitching staff whatsoever, mass spot start, and win 2 of the categories while tanking in the others. Teams that have great offense can draft no pitchers at all in their draft, go all hitting, then massive spot start all year, winning most of the hitting cats and guaranteeing 2 of the pitching cats with mass starts. It's cheap. It pisses me off.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers