Who Will Close? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Toronto Blue Jays

Who Will Close?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who Will Close?

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:22 am

Who should close for the Jays next year?

I don't think that Batista should keep the job, hell I don't think that he even cares anymore.

I don't think that League is ready but we should test him out over the winter and see if he can cut it.

Are there any other options?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:26 am

Justin Speier seems like a good option. But I'm not convinced Batista isn't coming back.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Big Pimpin » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:05 am

What happened to Batista after the ASB, anyway? He was pretty solid beforehand, but he's been awful since. I got him in a trade and I got some saves, but I also have a 9+ERA to go along with it. Last night's little fiasco raised my ERA 0.03 points.Image

He's found a spot on my bench at least until I catch the guy ahead of me in saves, but he won't pitch for me again this year. :-t
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby sportsguy80 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:35 pm

I heard that Billy Wagner is gonna become a an UFA this season do u think the jays have a chance at signing him ?

Owner of the Toronto Blue Jays in the Strike Zone Dynasty
sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:37 pm

I doubt J.P. would spend his new found budget increase on a closer.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:45 pm

I don't see the Jays forking over the dough needed to land Wagner.

Speier is a possibility but I don't trust him. I much prefer him in a set up role.

I can see JP maybe giving one of the kids a chance or trying to recycle a vet and trying to get a Wickman type of pitcher.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 281)

Postby kimchi_chigae » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:43 pm

i don't trust speier either, but i think he has pitched well enough to deserve a chance. his numbers are impressive this year. last year i would pretty much turn off the tv every time he came into a game to pitch, but this season he has been surprisingly good.

i don't think league is ready to close. i wonder if they rushed him this year. i know he needs some experience at the major league level, but he's clearly not ready to pitch in the big leagues.

why not jason frasor? i like the kid. he had a terrible july, but has pitched very well since. many said he hit the wall the end of last year, but he's finishing strong this season, and he has the experience from closing in 04. didn't he convert 17 of 19 saves?
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 211)

Postby sportsguy80 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:06 pm

We need a natural closer not some relief pitcher that there trying to convert into a closer. What about Brandon League he throws hard and has glasses lol like K-Rod and Gagne.

Owner of the Toronto Blue Jays in the Strike Zone Dynasty
sportsguy80
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby go_jays_go » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:52 pm

sportsguy80 wrote:We need a natural closer not some relief pitcher that there trying to convert into a closer. What about Brandon League he throws hard and has glasses lol like K-Rod and Gagne.

Yeah he does, but like Mookie said. He's not ready. It seems every time he comes out he give up gopher balls.
go_jays_go
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mweir145 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 8:52 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:What happened to Batista after the ASB, anyway? He was pretty solid beforehand, but he's been awful since. I got him in a trade and I got some saves, but I also have a 9+ERA to go along with it. Last night's little fiasco raised my ERA 0.03 points.Image

He's found a spot on my bench at least until I catch the guy ahead of me in saves, but he won't pitch for me again this year. :-t

Check his 1st half and 2nd half stats over the last 5 years or so, he's always been worse in the 2nd half for whatever reason.. :-/
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

Next

Return to Toronto Blue Jays