I hate Yahoo tie breakers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I hate Yahoo tie breakers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I hate Yahoo tie breakers

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:10 am

In head to head leagues, it goes first by the lowest ERA. That is crap. It should go to the team who won the most games in the season and really make the regular season worth something. I lost in a competetive league because he had a lower ERA, even though I had more wins and K's. Pisses me off. :-°
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:28 am

ERA isn't a bad tiebreaker because you can't win it just by spot starting 5 guys a day. Batting average (the second tiebreaker) is good for the same reason.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby BritSox » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:58 am

KolbSaves wrote:ERA isn't a bad tiebreaker because you can't win it just by spot starting 5 guys a day. Batting average (the second tiebreaker) is good for the same reason.

Why don't they just use a category that's not normally considered? Say, if it's 5-5, OPS becomes the deciding eleventh cat. Or losses? That would mitigate against the 'quantity' approach.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:05 pm

BritSox wrote:
KolbSaves wrote:ERA isn't a bad tiebreaker because you can't win it just by spot starting 5 guys a day. Batting average (the second tiebreaker) is good for the same reason.

Why don't they just use a category that's not normally considered? Say, if it's 5-5, OPS becomes the deciding eleventh cat. Or losses? That would mitigate against the 'quantity' approach.

It would be a shame for a category that doesn't normally get considered to become the tiebreaker IMO.

ERA is a good one since it is the toughest category to maintain. I agree with KolbSaves.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:05 pm

I think I'm more just venting because I'm pissed. I think best record though should break ties. This makes it more valuable to do well all year and rewards teams for doing so.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby KolbSaves » Mon Sep 19, 2005 12:22 pm

BritSox wrote:

A coinflip would be equally fair to determine who is better at things they didn't prepare for.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."
-Isaac Newton
KolbSaves
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mamorris » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:58 pm

I would say if there's one category that matters more than any of the other 9, it would be ERA (talking in a "real-life" sense here). It's very debatable, I know, but I don't think there's any one hitting category that pretty much sums up how many runs the team scored, and ERA is pretty close on the pitching side. Like others have said, it also reduces the incentive to churn pitchers every night.
mamorris
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby TDS-MN » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:58 pm

I am not a fan of ERA deciding, only because I had T. Jones in my active lineup, and he got rocked. About the ONLY time all year that happened to him. But the number of runs he gave up in that one fateful inning was enough to shoot my ERA up. My week score was tied 6 to 6.

Made the difference between playing for the championship and playing for third.

But in all fairness, there has to be some sort of tie-break. ERA is fine by me, even though it bit me this time. :-P
TomS.
'12 H2H season standings:
Team 1 = 140 - 118 - 12, 4 OF 12
Team 2 = 84 - 97 - 9, 6 OF 8
TDS-MN Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AT » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:13 pm

I was the beneficiary of the ERA tiebreaker this week in my h2h as well. I was trailing in RBI by 1 RBI going into the Phillies/Marlins Sunday night game and I had the last remaining player. (He was up 6-4 categories) Miguel Cabrera. A Double Play with 1st and 3rd in the 1st and a K with a man on in his next at bat and I was crapping myself. Sure enough, Miguel came to the dish with the bases chucked and 1 out in (the 4th I think?) and singled through the hole and drove in 2 runs. I was at the bar jumping up and down waving Luis Castillo home like the 3rd base coach. I won RBI, tied it 5-5 and took it on the ERA tiebreaker. Good times...
AT
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BritSox » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:16 pm

KolbSaves wrote:
BritSox wrote:

A coinflip would be equally fair to determine who is better at things they didn't prepare for.

They wouldn't be random things you hadn't prepared for though, if you knew what the tiebreaker is all year. Better imho than counting one thing twice arbitrarily. you don't win coin flips by having the better team, you DO win losses that way. A better team ought to have fewer L's as a side-effect of being good.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers