THIS is Why I Love H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

THIS is Why I Love H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:10 pm

StlSluggers wrote:My previous suggestions about doubling the length of the playoffs matchups in H2H alleviate most of the "randomness" that you loathe. Since you agree that H2H and roto are equal over the regular season, would this format then appeal to you more than a traditional one-week H2H playoff format?

Equal over the course of the season? I wouldn't go that far, but overall season standings for H2H leagues is ok. Not as accurate as it could be, but I don't complain about the yearly standings of H2H.

As to doubling the length of the playoffs, that would help things. I'm not convinced it would fix the problem, but I don't think it would hurt in the least, and should help some. ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:20 pm

Madison wrote:
StlSluggers wrote:My previous suggestions about doubling the length of the playoffs matchups in H2H alleviate most of the "randomness" that you loathe. Since you agree that H2H and roto are equal over the regular season, would this format then appeal to you more than a traditional one-week H2H playoff format?

Equal over the course of the season? I wouldn't go that far, but overall season standings for H2H leagues is ok. Not as accurate as it could be, but I don't complain about the yearly standings of H2H.

As to doubling the length of the playoffs, that would help things. I'm not convinced it would fix the problem, but I don't think it would hurt in the least, and should help some. ;-D

Another option our league has been discussing is to eliminate playoffs. This way, 1 bad week won't completely screw your season.

The best option is to not play in H2H if you are so against it especially if it involves money. If you know you won't enjoy it, then why play?
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 3:02 pm

That would be better but is there a site that hosts leagues like that??

P.S. Did you see my post in 1 of these H2H threads about my bad "luck"?? I missed out on going to the finals in 1 of my leagues. I needed 1 more run from Castillo last night. I think it was the 7th inning and he was going from 2nd to 3rd and the coach was waving him home. Well, he reinjured his leg and came up lame. They took him out of the game and then M-Cab drove in the pinch runner. Had he scored, I would have been in the finals. :~(
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Sep 19, 2005 4:05 pm

Lofunzo wrote:

That would be better but is there a site that hosts leagues like that??

P.S. Did you see my post in 1 of these H2H threads about my bad "luck"?? I missed out on going to the finals in 1 of my leagues. I needed 1 more run from Castillo last night. I think it was the 7th inning and he was going from 2nd to 3rd and the coach was waving him home. Well, he reinjured his leg and came up lame. They took him out of the game and then M-Cab drove in the pinch runner. Had he scored, I would have been in the finals. :~(

I don't know exactly how many sites host leagues like that, but I do know of at least one. Wannabe Sports runs all of their normal and keeper leagues with that playoff format. In addition, the man who runs the site designed a league from scratch for me this year, and my league uses that format as well. The score in the first post was from that league, and I submit that as Exhibit A that a two-week playoff format can produce fair results.

BTW, JRM's Brawlers pulled out the victory in that battle and raked in some extra "cash" to use in picking up free agents next year. All of this while he was on his honeymoon. Not a bad week, I'd say.

Anyways, back to the topic, I know of one other site that could be capable of handling that format in a year or two. Game Day Ritual is a new, techy site that just started this year. It's default format is for crap, so I highly recommend staying away for now. However, the site designers have informed me that they are working on making a customizable format where each individual league can set their own rules and playing format. They said that they hope to have that available in no more than two years. I am keeping them in my peripheral because they offer some very nice features and a lot of handy automation, like the ability to track contractual expenses in a keeper league from one year to the next.

As for your story, I have to say, that is the epitome of bad luck. In fact, it's to such a degree that I have to ask you what you did to screw up your karma.

:-b
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers