THIS is Why I Love H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

THIS is Why I Love H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Red Stripe » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:14 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Luck doesn't exist. Roto is a better indicator of which team is best, head to head is more fun.

Agreed with Lofunzo, this is probably the best two line post I've seen at this site. Always though this and that is so true.
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:15 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Roto is a better indicator of which team is best, head to head is more fun.

So much said in so few words. If I wanted to use 1 sentence to sum it up, that would be it. ;-D ;-D

Really depends on what you call fun though. ;-)

Is it fun to say: "HAHAHAHA! My team beat your team for a lousy 7 say stretch! You stink!"

Is that fun? Not to me. It's a lousy 7 day stretch. "Big Whoop" as the kids used to say. Not a big deal in the least (and I did finish the regular season in 3rd in a H2H league with all Cafe' members this year, so it's not like I didn't have the opportunity to laugh at someone.). 7 days is no time in fantasy baseball. Not even worth blinking an eye at. Ever see someone brag at the end of the first week of a roto league? Of course not. Why? 7 days is zero time at all. Now dominate a roto league for the year and then you've earned big time bragging rights. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby JTWood » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:01 am

Lofunzo wrote:
JTWood wrote:And if each round of the playoffs was twice as long as a regular matchup, would you say that luck is still a factor (flip a coin)?

They're not.

What are you talking about? They are, depending on where you play, and they can be anywhere else.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Lofunzo » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:05 am

Madison wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Roto is a better indicator of which team is best, head to head is more fun.

So much said in so few words. If I wanted to use 1 sentence to sum it up, that would be it. ;-D ;-D

Really depends on what you call fun though. ;-)

Is it fun to say: "HAHAHAHA! My team beat your team for a lousy 7 say stretch! You stink!"

Is that fun? Not to me. It's a lousy 7 day stretch. "Big Whoop" as the kids used to say. Not a big deal in the least (and I did finish the regular season in 3rd in a H2H league with all Cafe' members this year, so it's not like I didn't have the opportunity to laugh at someone.). 7 days is no time in fantasy baseball. Not even worth blinking an eye at. Ever see someone brag at the end of the first week of a roto league? Of course not. Why? 7 days is zero time at all. Now dominate a roto league for the year and then you've earned big time bragging rights. B-)

I have played both for a long time and I will say that I like roto better. I think that it better defines who had a better team. That said, H2H is more fun. You have a new matchup each week and trash talking matters. I had more fun losing in H2H than winning in roto. I still prefer roto to play but I hink that H2H is more fun because it's fresh. :-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 18)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:26 am

I play and enjoy both. I can't understand how some people absolutely hate one or the other, they both have their advantages and disadvantages. But, as I said earlier, head to head is more fun...this is a fact, and I can prove it on a home computer.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:05 pm

Lofunzo wrote:You have a new matchup each week and trash talking matters. I had more fun losing in H2H than winning in roto.

See that's the big thing for me. Everyone says H2H is more fun due to the trash talking. For me, it's a lousy 7 day stretch. Anything can happen in 7 days, it's no time at all, so why bother?

Guess it's just the bowler in me coming out. Typically our seasons are 36 weeks which is 108 games, different opponent each week for 3 games. So someone beats you one week, big deal, it's a long season.

Perfect example, last Thursday night in my very big money bowling league, my wife shoots: 280-235-279=794. I shoot 232-219-238=689. She kicked the crap out of me, but by the end of 36 weeks, guess who will have the higher average? Yep, me. Too small of a sample size to brag about, get excited about, or trash talk about.

*Note---My wife is on my team, so it's great that she shot so well. It's her new highest series she's ever shot and I'm proud of her. In fact, that's so good, it could hold as the highest scratch series for any woman in the city for the whole year and the season has just begun (was our 3rd week). That's a big national award for her if it holds up. Also shows that my coaching ability is still solid too. B-)

Anyhow, same goes for fantasy baseball. 7 days is nothing, so it's hard to get excited about, or trash talk about. Might as well do it daily since it's really no different than a tiny 7 day stretch. :-°

I still play both games though, but Roto is the real game. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Yoda » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:42 pm

H2H also allows greater number of teams to compete. For instance, if your team sucks for the first half of the season and you make some adjustments, you can still qualify for the playoffs and a chance at the title. In roto, usually the top few teams run away and it is nearly impossible to catch them.

The match ups from week to week also makes it fun. Playing against teams that are built differently forces you to micro manage your team. You must be flexible and get the wins in categories that you can while giving up on ones that you can't. This is different each week.

I've played both and while each has its advantages and disadvantages, I must say that H2H creates a lot more excitement especially in Sep. It's like real baseball. You are glued to your computer screen and watching friggin Gameday while at work.
Last edited by Yoda on Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." ~George Carlin
Yoda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Madison wrote:Guess it's just the bowler in me coming out. Typically our seasons are 36 weeks which is 108 games, different opponent each week for 3 games. So someone beats you one week, big deal, it's a long season.

And why doesn't that attitude apply to H2H fantasy baseball, too?

If someone beats you in a bad week, so what? It's a long baseball season. If you have a better team, it will show by the end of the year, right?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Madison » Mon Sep 19, 2005 1:58 pm

StlSluggers wrote:
Madison wrote:Guess it's just the bowler in me coming out. Typically our seasons are 36 weeks which is 108 games, different opponent each week for 3 games. So someone beats you one week, big deal, it's a long season.

And why doesn't that attitude apply to H2H fantasy baseball, too?

If someone beats you in a bad week, so what? It's a long baseball season. If you have a better team, it will show by the end of the year, right?

For the season standings, yes.

For playoffs, no.

That's the difference.

In bowling there two different types of leagues. There are the crappy little split season leagues where the league is divided in half, that way everyone actually has 2 chances to win a half and then face the winner of the other half on the final night to determine the league champion (2 out of 3 games on the final night determines the winner). Those came about due to the lesser teams feeling like they couldn't compete over the long stretch against the better teams.

Then you have real leagues that bowl 36 weeks straight without playoffs (other than a final position round) to determine the champion. All bowling leagues used to be this way.

Now there's a difference in bowling and fantasy baseball of course. I know very knowledgeable guys I would call fantasy experts that prefer H2H leagues, but for me, H2H is simply popular since you can make so many mistakes and still have a chance. Bad draft, terrible start, not even really pay attention to you team, etc, etc, etc, and still have a chance at winning it all. I prefer roto because if you do anything listed above, it takes some incredible determination to still have a fighting chance at winning the league. Roto is not as forgiving or easy as H2H leagues are, and I'm not a fan of making the game easier. The tougher the better. If I want easy, I'll play Yahoo public leagues in any format. :-°
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby StlSluggers » Mon Sep 19, 2005 2:04 pm

My previous suggestions about doubling the length of the playoffs matchups in H2H alleviate most of the "randomness" that you loathe. Since you agree that H2H and roto are equal over the regular season, would this format then appeal to you more than a traditional one-week H2H playoff format?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers