THIS is Why I Love H2H - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

THIS is Why I Love H2H

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:43 pm

wrveres wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:That's like the 1998 Yanks getting swept in the 1st round of the playoffs.

well if the ump would have called that stupid pitch that was right down the middle of the plate, a strike, it might have been a very different series :-t :-t :-t

Nice battle JT .. :-D

BTW, JRM is getting married today, so it is hard to mess with that kind of karma.

I agree. I believe it was to Tino right before he hit a GS.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:44 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
kentx12 wrote:IMO that is what makes H2H so much more realistic than roto.

More realistic?? A case could be made that it is more fun, because you have a new matchup every week, but more realistic?? I don't see how playing an entire season only to have 1 bad week kill you is more realistic. That's like the 1998 Yanks getting swept in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Of course it's more realistic. I can't believe it's even debatable. Regular season performance means nothing in the playoffs in both real life and in H2H. Once you get to the playoffs, a team can get hot, go cold, suffer injuries, or get swept in the World Series despite having the best record in baseball.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby HiddenIdentity » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:45 pm

JTWood wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

More realistic?? A case could be made that it is more fun, because you have a new matchup every week, but more realistic?? I don't see how playing an entire season only to have 1 bad week kill you is more realistic. That's like the 1998 Yanks getting swept in the 1st round of the playoffs.

Of course it's more realistic. I can't believe it's even debatable. Regular season performance means nothing in the playoffs in both real life and in H2H. Once you get to the playoffs, a team can get hot, go cold, suffer injuries, or get swept in the World Series despite having the best record in baseball.

Exactly ;-D
And it's always fun to see 1st place braggers get beat by last place teams.
HiddenIdentity
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:49 pm

wrveres wrote:BTW, JRM is getting married today, so it is hard to mess with that kind of karma.

Actually, he got married yesterday. Today is first day of the rest of his life.

;-)
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:50 pm

JTWood wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:

What I meant was that in roto, the best team usually wins and in ML baseball, the same holds true. In H2H, I can go 150-10 during the whole season, sit out for my bye, and then get swept in the playoffs. If it happens once in a while in baseball, it happens much more often in H2H. I don't like having the best team all season only to have a manager rest some players and I get bounced because of it. There are pros and cons to each but I will always side with the version that takes more skill into the equation and less luck.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby wrveres » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:51 pm

JTWood wrote:
wrveres wrote:BTW, JRM is getting married today, so it is hard to mess with that kind of karma.

;-)

was it yesterday?
my bad ... That is still some serious Karma.
I wonder if he skipped out on the honeymoon for a moment to check his lineups ... :-o
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 660)

Postby Lofunzo » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:52 pm

wrveres wrote:
JTWood wrote:

;-)

was it yesterday?
my bad ... That is still some serious Karma.
I wonder if he skipped out on the honeymoon for a moment to check his lineups ... :-o

I don't doubt it. ;-D
Lofunzo

Postby JTWood » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:59 pm

Lofunzo wrote:What I meant was that in roto, the best team usually wins and in ML baseball, the same holds true. In H2H, I can go 150-10 during the whole season, sit out for my bye, and then get swept in the playoffs. If it happens once in a while in baseball, it happens much more often in H2H. I don't like having the best team all season only to have a manager rest some players and I get bounced because of it. There are pros and cons to each but I will always side with the version that takes more skill into the equation and less luck.

Obviously, this argument is based on the assumption that some people want a game that more resembles the real thing. Some do not, and that's perfectly understandable.

However, if you're playing for something more realistic, than there are plenty of ways to avoid the whole "rest a player" problem. The easiest solution is to end the season a little sooner. The next easiest solution is to make the playoff games last longer than the regular season matchups. For instance, make it a two-week game instead of a one-week game.

This off-season, I am going to write an article for the site on this. There are a lot of problems that exist in the most common H2H leagues that could easily be fixed so that random and uncontrollable events don't have nearly as large of an impact as they could.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:06 pm

Neither H2H or Roto is even close to resembling real baseball. They just use baseball statistics. I enjoy roto more because as a game the rules make more sense to me. I don't want to play a 10 hour game of Monopoly and when there are only two players left just flip a coin to determine the winner.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Paulie Walnuts » Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:31 pm

As a Todd Jones/Matt Clement owner I hate H2H BADLY... :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t :-t

They ruined my whole freaking year in a span of 27 hours... :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P

Why, just why... :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~( :~(
Paulie Walnuts
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers