Why I now hate Head to Head - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Why I now hate Head to Head

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rainman23 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:39 pm

I'll take one more shot here.

H2H has a regular season. It's just a few weeks shorter than the Roto season. Those few weeks when most seem to agree that weird things start to happen on MLB rosters.
    The top teams in that regular season are very likely the same ones that would have ruled in Roto. There are variations within a week, but over the course of the season (not many seasons, as someone just mentioned), these things are going to even out. If you're seeing that your team gets habitually burnt in H2H by these variations WITHIN the season, then I've got another explanation for you. You aren't very good in math.
    The playoffs are not part of the regular season. Seriously, gang, they're not. It's another fun thing to do when the regular season is over, when interest in the league would otherwise be waning. To consistently say that "one week spoiled your season"...well, that's your choice if you want to feel that way. But it doesn't have to be so.
    You've won over the long haul. That third place guy whose team got hot and beat you in the playoffs wanders over to trash talk. Do you a.) take it to heart, because you know that he's right? or b.) laugh it off, because NOBODY is that bad in math?

That's it, I give up. I've got a fantasy team to manage. And the cool think is that I know the guy I'm opposing is hard at work, too. Because we both still care.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bleach168 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:42 pm

ooops
Last edited by bleach168 on Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby bleach168 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:43 pm

The playoffs are not part of the regular season. Seriously, gang, they're not. It's another fun thing to do when the regular season is over

You've won over the long haul. That third place guy whose team got hot and beat you in the playoffs wanders over to trash talk. Do you a.) take it to heart, because you know that he's right? or b.) laugh it off

In most, if not all, money leagues, the playoff winner gets paid more than the regular season winner.
"And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere. But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear." - The Rains of Castamere
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 17)

Postby pokerplaya » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:58 pm

JTWood wrote:Yeah, I hate having the team with the best regular season record only to get swept in the World Series.

;-7

I don't understand people here. Why is that sort of thing acceptable (and even expected) in the real game but completely unacceptable in the fantasy version?

:-?

I'm with you to a certain extent. I can definitely see Roto fans points, and I see this point too. That is why I play both. :-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:07 pm

pokerplaya wrote:
JTWood wrote:Yeah, I hate having the team with the best regular season record only to get swept in the World Series.

;-7

I don't understand people here. Why is that sort of thing acceptable (and even expected) in the real game but completely unacceptable in the fantasy version?

:-?

I'm with you to a certain extent. I can definitely see Roto fans points, and I see this point too. That is why I play both. :-)

I completely understand that argument. I just disagree with it. I can take a loss to someone that beat me but.......Best regular season record doesn't mean the best team (in the majors). Remember Seattle in 2001?? There are other examples as well. Feasting on a week division can do wonders for your record. ;-)

As it pertains to H2H leagues, again, I can take my beating like a man but.......I don't like losing merely because my studs are getting rested or because my opponent has his SP getting 2 starts while my studs only go once. Too many variables. Back to the WS example, think about it like Pedro going twice in the series while Carpenter only pitches once. Not exactly even.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers